The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
72Cheyenne350

Question Valve Covers

Hey guys I just bought some valve covers for my truck with stock type baffles, question: do I need blowers, if so what type do you guys recommend?

Thanks!
72Cheyenne350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Valve Covers

What are blowers?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
70STOVEBOLT

I think he means breathers?

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
72Cheyenne350

Sorry I did mean breathers, my bad.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

1 side needs a breather, 1 side needs a PCV valve.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
72Cheyenne350

Got it, I'll add those to the order. I'm going to say the pcv valve hooks up to the air cleaner?
Old 07-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Cheyenne350 View Post
Got it, I'll add those to the order. I'm going to say the pcv valve hooks up to the air cleaner?
i'd suggest some reading// either you can buy a factory service manual loaded with info or if that $25 investment is too steep for you try a local library for a generic manual read up on different stuff like how a crankcase ventalation system works, how a brake system functions, air fuel timing trilogy ,to get at least some of the most basic concepts down
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The PCV valve does NOT hook up to the air cleaner. The true closed system for a PCV system is to have the top of the PCV valve run to the carburetor base (going directly into the intake manifold) and the other valve cover's cap going to the air cleaner to make sure that your fumes and oil does not get out onto the engine. However, if you get just a standard breather cap for the opposite side, then it will pull air from the atmosphere.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
The PCV valve does NOT hook up to the air cleaner. The true closed system for a PCV system is to have the top of the PCV valve run to the carburetor base (going directly into the intake manifold) and the other valve cover's cap going to the air cleaner to make sure that your fumes and oil does not get out onto the engine. However, if you get just a standard breather cap for the opposite side, then it will pull air from the atmosphere.
SOME MODELS DO INDEED GO TO THE AIR CLEANER. CDOWNS IS RIGHT AGAIN ABOUT LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING OF ALL THOSE LITTLE PARTS. (AMAZING HOW SOME FOLKS JUST DON'T GIVE B.S. ADVICE HUH??) I REMEMBER WAY BACK WHEN I WAS A KID & BUILT A WORKING MODEL CALLED ''THE VISABLE V-8". IT SHOWED ME HOW ALL THE LITTLE PARTS WORKED IN CONCERT WITH EACH OTHER. ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND THEM YOU REALIZE THAT THERE NOTHING MYSTERIOS OR MAJICAL THAT GOES ON UNDER THAT CAST IRON & TIN. ( MOST MOTORS ONLY HAVE A PVC VALVE OR A BREATHER. NOT BOTH. IT'S AN EXIT. THE MOTOR GETS PLENTY OF AIR TO BREATH RIGHT THRU THE CARB.) SHOOT I REMEMBER THEM NOT HAVING PVC VALVES OR BREATHERS AT ALL. THEY HAD WHAT WERE CALLED "ROAD DRAFT TUBES" THEY WERE BASICALLY JUST AN EXIT TUBE THAT DUMPED BUILT UP GASSES & FUMES FROM THE INTERNAL COMBUSTION PROCESS RIGHT OUT ON THE ROAD. IMAGINE THAT B.P. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 07-01-2010 at 06:36 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjohn View Post
SOME MODELS DO INDEED GO TO THE AIR CLEANER. CDOWNS IS RIGHT AGAIN ABOUT LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING OF ALL THOSE LITTLE PARTS. (AMAZING HOW SOME FOLKS JUST DON'T GIVE B.S. ADVICE HUH??) I REMEMBER WAY BACK WHEN I WAS A KID & BUILT A WORKING MODEL CALLED ''THE VISABLE V-8". IT SHOWED ME HOW ALL THE LITTLE PARTS WORKED IN CONCERT WITH EACH OTHER. ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND THEM YOU REALIZE THAT THERE NOTHING MYSTERIOS OR MAJICAL THAT GOES ON UNDER THAT CAST IRON & TIN. ( MOST MOTORS ONLY HAVE A PVC VALVE OR A BREATHER. NOT BOTH. IT'S AN EXIT. THE MOTOR GETS PLENTY OF AIR TO BREATH RIGHT THRU THE CARB.) SHOOT I REMEMBER THEM NOT HAVING PVC VALVES OR BREATHERS AT ALL. THEY HAD WHAT WERE CALLED "ROAD DRAFT TUBES" THEY WERE BASICALLY JUST AN EXIT TUBE THAT DUMPED BUILT UP GASSES & FUMES FROM THE INTERNAL COMBUSTION PROCESS RIGHT OUT ON THE ROAD. IMAGINE THAT B.P. JOHN
I would beg to differ with part of your input here. The air that goes through the carb has nothing to do with ventilating the crankcase, it is combustion air only. The air intake on one side of the engine (valve cover breather or hose to air cleaner) is the inlet and th eother side is the PCV valve with a vacuum source to purge the oil fumes from the engine. A slight negative pressure is desired on most engines and that also helps to make the seals on the engine work more effectively. The older style engines with visible tubes coming off of the crankcase was always blowing oil fumes and creating sludge, but in those days there were no laws or engineering behind it.

If you have never witnessed a crankcase fire or a engine running off of it's own crankcase fumes, then it is hard to fathom, what I am referring to. I make a special effort to purge my engines and they virtually stay clean for miles.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
I would beg to differ with part of your input here. The air that goes through the carb has nothing to do with ventilating the crankcase, it is combustion air only. The air intake on one side of the engine (valve cover breather or hose to air cleaner) is the inlet and th eother side is the PCV valve with a vacuum source to purge the oil fumes from the engine. A slight negative pressure is desired on most engines and that also helps to make the seals on the engine work more effectively. The older style engines with visible tubes coming off of the crankcase was always blowing oil fumes and creating sludge, but in those days there were no laws or engineering behind it.
If you have never witnessed a crankcase fire or a engine running off of it's own crankcase fumes, then it is hard to fathom, what I am referring to. I make a special effort to purge my engines and they virtually stay clean for miles.
PIECESPARTS-- I HAVE NEITHER THE TIME OR INCLINATION TO DEBATE OR EDUCATE YOU ON THE INNER WORKINGS OF AN INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE. DO A LITTLE RESEARCH. ALL THE WORLDS KNOWLEGE IS CONTAINED IN PRINT FORM. IN THIS COMPUTER AGE, INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE AT YOUR FINGERTIPS. JUST THINK ABOUT THIS. CRANKCASE OIL DOESN'T WEAR OUT... IT GETS DIRTY... FROM CARBON. ITS A BYPRODUCT FROM BURNING AN AIR-FUEL MIXTURE. AGREE SO FAR?? DO YOU THING ALL 100% IS EXPELLED THRU THE EXHAUST?? IF THE ONLY SOURCE OF INTAKE AIR WAS THE CARBERATOR, AND IT HAD NO BREATER IN THE VALVE COVER FOR AIR INTAKE TO THE CRANKCASE.. IT WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO RUN???? PCV VALVES ARE ONLY AN EXIT. THEY HAVE A CHECK VALVE IN THEM THAT ONLY LETS GASSES GO ONE WAY... TO ESCAPE. HENCE THE NAME.. PCV.. POSITIVE CRANCASE VENTILATION. IF YOU COULD MAKE A MOTOR THAT RAN ON ITS OWN PRODUCED GASSES, THEY WOULD BE A PERPETUAL MOTION ENGINE & YOU'D BE A GILLIONARE. (PEOPLE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT SINCE BEFORE HENRY FORD WAS BORN) THE EXCESS GASSES ARE ROUTED THRU PCV VALVE TO THE AIR INTAKE (CARB) AS ONE OF THE FIRST ATTEMPTS AT POLLUTION CONTROL, & IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S THRU THE AIR CLEANER, CARB, INTAKE MANIFOLD ECT. (G.M. MADE A TON OF VEHICALS WHERE THE PCV WAS VENTED IN THE AIR CLEANER) THE IDEA IS TO BURN ANY UNBURNT GASSES BACK THRU THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER (ONCE AGAIN) BEFORE BEING EXPELLED INTO THE ATMOSPHERE. BLOW BY OR OIL COMING OUT ANY V/C BREATHER IS A RESULT OF WORN PISTON RINGS AND FAULTY VALVES. PLEASE DON'T GIVE ADVICE TO PEOPLE THAT DON'T FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW THESE THINGS WORK & TRY TO PASS IT OFF AS FACTS. ALL YOU ARE DOING IS PERPETUATING YOUR OWN INCORRECT THEORYS ABOUT HOW THESE LITTLE PARTS WORK TOGETHER. BELIEVE ME G.M. HAS AN AWFUL LOT OF VERY SMART ENGINEERS WHO SPEND COUNTLESS HOURS DESIGHNING THESE THINGS, & IF THEY COULD SAVE 75 CENTS ON EVERY VEHICAL BY NOT IMPLIMENTING THESE IDEAS, THEY WOULD BE EVEN RICHER AND NOT BE IN NEED OF A FINANCIAL BAILOUT. ENOUGH FOR TODAY, AS I NEED TO GET ON MY OUTSIDE CHORES BEFORE IT GETS TO HOT OUT. DON'T BE TO HARD ON YOURSELF AS THERE IS A TON OF THINGS I DON'T FULLY UNDERSTAND, & THERES NO CRIME IN THAT. BUT PLEASE REFRAIN FROM GIVING OUT YOUR WELL MEANING BUT MIGUIDED OPINIONS AS COLD HARD FACTS. JOHN (PLEASE DONT TAKE ANY OFFENCE, OR THINK I'M TRYING TO BELITTLE YOU'RE TRUCK KNOWLEDGE OR COME OFF AS SOME KIND OF KNOW IT ALL, CAUSE I SURE DIDN'T MEAN IT THAT WAY. HONEST) JOHN

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 07-02-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
PIECESPARTS-- I HAVE NEITHER THE TIME OR INCLINATION TO DEBATE OR EDUCATE YOU ON THE INNER WORKINGS OF AN INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE. DO A LITTLE RESEARCH. ALL THE WORLDS KNOWLEGE IS CONTAINED IN PRINT FORM. IN THIS COMPUTER AGE, INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE AT YOUR FINGERTIPS. JUST THINK ABOUT THIS. CRANKCASE OIL DOESN'T WEAR OUT... IT GETS DIRTY... FROM CARBON. ITS A BYPRODUCT FROM BURNING AN AIR-FUEL MIXTURE. AGREE SO FAR?? DO YOU THING ALL 100% IS EXPELLED THRU THE EXHAUST?? IF THE ONLY SOURCE OF INTAKE AIR WAS THE CARBERATOR, AND IT HAD NO BREATER IN THE VALVE COVER FOR AIR INTAKE TO THE CRANKCASE.. IT WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO RUN???? PCV VALVES ARE ONLY AN EXIT. THEY HAVE A CHECK VALVE IN THEM THAT ONLY LETS GASSES GO ONE WAY... TO ESCAPE. HENCE THE NAME.. PCV.. POSITIVE CRANCASE VENTILATION. IF YOU COULD MAKE A MOTOR THAT RAN ON ITS OWN PRODUCED GASSES, THEY WOULD BE A PERPETUAL MOTION ENGINE & YOU'D BE A GILLIONARE. (PEOPLE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT SINCE BEFORE HENRY FORD WAS BORN) THE EXCESS GASSES ARE ROUTED THRU PCV VALVE TO THE AIR INTAKE (CARB) AS ONE OF THE FIRST ATTEMPTS AT POLLUTION CONTROL, & IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S THRU THE AIR CLEANER, CARB, INTAKE MANIFOLD ECT. (G.M. MADE A TON OF VEHICALS WHERE THE PCV WAS VENTED IN THE AIR CLEANER) THE IDEA IS TO BURN ANY UNBURNT GASSES BACK THRU THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER (ONCE AGAIN) BEFORE BEING EXPELLED INTO THE ATMOSPHERE. BLOW BY OR OIL COMING OUT ANY V/C BREATHER IS A RESULT OF WORN PISTON RINGS AND FAULTY VALVES. PLEASE DON'T GIVE ADVICE TO PEOPLE THAT DON'T FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW THESE THINGS WORK & TRY TO PASS IT OFF AS FACTS. ALL YOU ARE DOING IS PERPETUATING YOUR OWN INCORRECT THEORYS ABOUT HOW THESE LITTLE PARTS WORK TOGETHER. BELIEVE ME G.M. HAS AN AWFUL LOT OF VERY SMART ENGINEERS WHO SPEND COUNTLESS HOURS DESIGHNING THESE THINGS, & IF THEY COULD SAVE 75 CENTS ON EVERY VEHICAL BY NOT IMPLIMENTING THESE IDEAS, THEY WOULD BE EVEN RICHER AND NOT BE IN NEED OF A FINANCIAL BAILOUT. ENOUGH FOR TODAY, AS I NEED TO GET ON MY OUTSIDE CHORES BEFORE IT GETS TO HOT OUT. DON'T BE TO HARD ON YOURSELF AS THERE IS A TON OF THINGS I DON'T FULLY UNDERSTAND, & THERES NO CRIME IN THAT. BUT PLEASE REFRAIN FROM GIVING OUT YOUR WELL MEANING BUT MIGUIDED OPINIONS AS COLD HARD FACTS. JOHN (PLEASE DONT TAKE ANY OFFENCE, OR THINK I'M TRYING TO BELITTLE YOU'RE TRUCK KNOWLEDGE OR COME OFF AS SOME KIND OF KNOW IT ALL, CAUSE I SURE DIDN'T MEAN IT THAT WAY. HONEST) JOHN
WOW. Not sure where this is coming from, but before this goes into the toilet with the moderators---I bow to your apparent superior knowledge. I just pointed out that the intake air is for combustion and YES the gases do slip by those nasty compression rings, but the whole thought process is to keep the crankcase purged with fresh air and in a negative pressure. sorry if I may have upset the world---I have built some engines in my time but may have missed something when I grew up on the farm.

Some would say that you are yelling at me, but I know that isn't the truth. NOW IS IT?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
HuggerCST

Quote:
( MOST MOTORS ONLY HAVE A PVC VALVE OR A BREATHER. NOT BOTH. IT'S AN EXIT. THE MOTOR GETS PLENTY OF AIR TO BREATH RIGHT THRU THE CARB.)
I'd have to disagree here also, John. Most engines that I've worked on have both a PCV valve and a breather (or pull fresh air through the air filter), and the only way that a PCV can pull air through the carb is to get it past the rings. So if you have a PCV valve with nothing for a breather, then it will put the crankcase under full vacuum. You can run a engine with a breather only, it will just push the excess crankcase vapors out through it, like the old draft tubes did. Here is a good link to explain the PCV system. http://www.aa1car.com/library/pcv.htm
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #14
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggerCST View Post
I'd have to disagree here also, John. Most engines that I've worked on have both a PCV valve and a breather (or pull fresh air through the air filter), and the only way that a PCV can pull air through the carb is to get it past the rings. So if you have a PCV valve with nothing for a breather, then it will put the crankcase under full vacuum. You can run a engine with a breather only, it will just push the excess crankcase vapors out through it, like the old draft tubes did. Here is a good link to explain the PCV system. http://www.aa1car.com/library/pcv.htm
I THINK WE HAVE SOME MISCOMUNICATION. I AGREE 100% WITH THAT ARTICAL. (EXCELLANT EXPLAINATION OF HOW IT WORKS) A WORKING PVC VALVE WILL NEVER PULL ANY AIR FROM ANYWHERE. IT'S A ONE WAY EXIT. MOST ALL THE ENGINES FROM THIS ERA HAD A PCV VALVE (STATE OF THE ART ANTI-POLLUTION DEVICE AT THE TIME) ON THE RIGHT V/C & A SOLID NON-VENTED FILL CAP ON THE LEFT V/C. AND THE PVC VALVE WAS VENTED INTO THE AIR CLEANER. I THINK IT EXPLAINS IT IN THAT ARTICAL. THE NEWER ONES MAY BE DIFFERENT, I COULDN'T SAY CAUSE ANY CAR OR TRUCK AFTER ABOUT 1980 IS PRETTY WELL INVISABLE TO ME. JOHN (THAT ARTICAL IS EXZACTLY WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 07-02-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
HuggerCST

Quote:
A WORKING PVC VALVE WILL NEVER PULL ANY AIR FROM ANYWHERE. IT'S A ONE WAY EXIT. MOST ALL THE ENGINES FROM THIS ERA HAD A PCV VALVE (STATE OF THE ART ANTI-POLLUTION DEVICE AT THE TIME) ON THE RIGHT V/C & A SOLID NON-VENTED FILL CAP ON THE LEFT V/C. AND THE PVC VALVE WAS VENTED INTO THE AIR CLEANER.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding (wouldn't be the first time), but working PCV valves aren't "vented", but are hooked to manifold vacuum. The PCV valve controls the vacuum, and pulls air/vapors out of the crankcase.(through the air cleaner and tube, through the right valve cover (on a stock '67-'72 V-8), through the crankcase to the PCV valve in the left valve cover) These engines did have a non vented oil cap, but also had a vent tube between the right valve cover & air cleaner.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe

Last edited by HuggerCST; 07-02-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #16
michael bustamante

Im running a pcv to the carb and a oil cap on the other side myself, never any problems, if you try just running a breather though youll get blow by out the breather, (from my experience)
Old 07-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #17
72Cheyenne350

My truck has the original engine in it. Right now I have one valve cover with a breather and the other just spewing oil fumes which definitely can not be good for the engine. I bought the truck this way so I don't know if the pcv was hooked up to the air cleaner or carb but I've read it hooks up to the air cleaner, back to the drawing board for more reasearch and definitely a manual. Tons of info guys thanks for all the input, advice and info.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #18
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

The air cleaner line is actually the breather. It comes off the air cleaner so that clean air is getting sucked into the engine.
A breather on the valve cover serves the same purpose, clean air into the crankcase.

The PCV valve is connected to the carburetor and the valve is closed during high manifold vacuum conditions.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 07-02-2010 at 01:32 AM.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #19
Lee H

Put a cheapo breather in each cover for now and research the correct PVC system for your application. The idea is to ventilate the case of blow by. Pair of breathers vent to atmosphere, PVC system vents back into the combustion chamber. Let's not make this any harder than it needs to be.
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #20
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I would definitely run a PCV valve. I had a 350 on which I ran just breathers. Turned the oil into a thick sludge.

Last edited by Sinister; 07-02-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #21
michael bustamante

yeah 2 breathers is not a good Idea, you have to run a pcv to keep your oil from contamination and sludge build up,( not to mention keeping the engine somewhat clean) hook it up to the bottom inlet of the edelbrock, Ive seen set ups where they hook it up to the air inlet at the back of the carb coming out the intake also but I dont think thats a very good idea, also If you think about it, clean out the pcv once in a while.

Last edited by michael bustamante; 07-02-2010 at 11:44 AM.
michael bustamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #22
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I needed a PCV on mine, and didn't wanna run it to the air cleaner. I needed full vacuum to my power brake booster, and I used the fitting in the back of my Holley 3310 for that. So I drilled and tapped a 1/4" NPT hole into my 1" aluminum carb spacer and ran a PCV hose from a fitting I screwed into the back of the 1" spacer over to a PCV on the valve cover on the passenger side.

I run a regular breather on the drivers side that pops out to fill engine with oil as well.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #23
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Shucks, fella---you all didn't have to fall onto the sword YET. We could have had some fun with this.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #24
HuggerCST

No worrys John. I hope that I didn't come across like an ass, I just wanted to try and clear up the confusion for anyone who may not know the difference.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Old 07-03-2010, 02:49 AM   #25
ajgriffin

I've got to say that I have no clue which way is OK now. I think what I'm hearing is that you MUST have a PCV running to the carb, but a breather in addition to that is optional?