The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
kingy

bagged trucks, i dont get it.

ok im sure i will upset a few people in here but here it go's anyway
why bother having air bags? people say "it looks sick when its dumped" but whats the point when ya cant drive it that way? i dont hate them i just think they are way over rated and a lot of good trucks are getting waisted with bag kits and 22'' rims. is it just me? or do others feel the same.
kingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Billett

Re: bagged trucks, i dont get it.

I'm sure a lot of people feel that way too, but I'm gonna have to say... I love bags. I don't want to do my 68 but I have a 99 s10 that has bags in the works right now. They aren't completely useless and are often better for towing than stock springs. As for not being able to drive it dumped... you can it just scrapes, which for some of us is all the fun

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
glos55

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Right? If we all did our trucks the same it would be pretty boring out there! I like our trucks low and high and stock....ofcourse there is always someone that will push the envelope and amaze us. Stance can make or break a truck/car everytime and some nail it dead nuts and others fail. Your preference my differ than mine but if the person is having a blast doing his or her vehicle a certain way I can appreciate that.
glos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Shooters_7

I do it for the ride that air bags provide and not the "dumped" look or draggin my chassis down the highway to create sparks, which would be bad to do if that guy had a fuel leak. Not everyone cares for bags but its all good!
Shooters_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Rat66

I personally want bags so that I can still use my truck as a truck when I want, yet still have a low/slammed stance if I so desire. It allows me more versatility than cutting/lowering springs. Plus the ride is a better as well. Kind of dual purpose.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Billett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat66 View Post
I personally want bags so that I can still use my truck as a truck when I want, yet still have a low/slammed stance if I so desire. It allows me more versatility than cutting/lowering springs. Plus the ride is a better as well. Kind of dual purpose.
Right now my s10 has a 3/3 static drop and the ride is just terrible. You took the words right out of my mouth there.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
badriand

I did rear to level back out as lowest springs and blocks wouldn't get low enough to level out. Liked it so much i did the front about 2 weeks later. The ride is far better IMO than it was and i still drive at the height i had it at before, now i just dump the air when parked. I just replaced the coils with bags so i can reverse if i want.
badriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
txinliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriand View Post
I did rear to level back out as lowest springs and blocks wouldn't get low enough to level out. Liked it so much i did the front about 2 weeks later. The ride is far better IMO than it was and i still drive at the height i had it at before, now i just dump the air when parked. I just replaced the coils with bags so i can reverse if i want.
i live in tyler would like to get feedback on youre truck
65c10 43,000 original miles ,230 stovebolt,powerglide,3" drop spidles 3" drop springs w/ half coil cut and 5 drop springs in back with 1 1/2 blocks... c notch soon to add hei offy 4 v intake and holley 390
txinliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
oem4me

To each his own. I personally get off on a bone stock configuration, with original survivors as the ultimate form. That said, I absolutely love what some of the better custom builders are doing with these old things. They are just trucks after all. Production line built in the hundreds of thousands, from day one they were meant to be used up and thrown out. I say save the best survivors and cut up all the others anyway you want. Low, high, bagged, lifted, ..whatever makes you happy. If one was truly interested in usefulness, my guess is a late model truck would be the best choice anyway.
Just for the fun of it, I had a member here photochop my 66 low miler awhile back ..and I LOVE IT! Have fun.
Attached Images

oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
To each his own. I personally get off on a bone stock configuration, with original survivors as the ultimate form. That said, I absolutely love what some of the better custom builders are doing with these old things. They are just trucks after all. Production line built in the hundreds of thousands, from day one they were meant to be used up and thrown out. I say save the best survivors and cut up all the others anyway you want. Low, high, bagged, lifted, ..whatever makes you happy. If one was truly interested in usefulness, my guess is a late model truck would be the best choice anyway.
Just for the fun of it, I had a member here photochop my 66 low miler awhile back ..and I LOVE IT! Have fun.
Most guys that are hard core in to stock or restored are adamantly opposed and blindly biased to anything but stock or restored. You have a refreshing attitude that I truly commend.

BTW- I love your truck, and have evil thoughts about what I would do to it if it were mine. Your P/C is a pretty good vision of what I would do to it...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #11
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Most guys that are hard core in to stock or restored are adamantly opposed and blindly biased to anything but stock or restored. You have a refreshing attitude that I truly commend.

BTW- I love your truck, and have evil thoughts about what I would do to it if it were mine. Your P/C is a pretty good vision of what I would do to it...
i think "chevyrestoguy" hit the nail on the head, & i tend to think like "Oem4me"...but i must admit that i also hate to see so many vehicles (not just our trucks) getting hacked up for bags...yet i don't mind when it's done with great quality and attention to detail & safety...i'm a big fan of customization, & most of my rides have been just that (customized)...but i will say that former member Tony "LilRed66" sorta changed my outlook...he was adamant about wanting me to restore my '66 C-10 to factory/stock...with so many these days deciding to go the slammed, bagged, or lifted route, i decided i would rather keep my truck mostly stock in appearance and suspension stance/height....at the same time, i have other plans for a future build that will consist of a slammed ride, possibly with bags

but where i draw the line is when you take automobiles like "Oem4me" has and start altering them...i think there's something to be said for a completely, truly original and untouched automobile, and i feel like it should remain as such...it's like a time capsule...just my two cents....but as they say, to each his own

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
txinliner

Quote:
wow thats cooooool
65c10 43,000 original miles ,230 stovebolt,powerglide,3" drop spidles 3" drop springs w/ half coil cut and 5 drop springs in back with 1 1/2 blocks... c notch soon to add hei offy 4 v intake and holley 390
txinliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
Rat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett View Post
Right now my s10 has a 3/3 static drop and the ride is just terrible. You took the words right out of my mouth there.
LOL...Yeah Billett. Been there a few times. SUCKS! That is why with this project I am going to do it right the first time. No F'ing with drop coils for me :-).

Quote:
I couldn't agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07 View Post
13 years of playing with hotrods and I still don't understand why people can't get their minds around lowered or bagged trucks. You could drive a POS camry, or a miata, or some other junk car that accomplishes nothing, or a truck.

and even bagged or slammed the truck still has a perfectly fine bed. And if done right, a bagged truck can tow just fine.

I realize its just ignorance... but man.
Exactly! You nailed it Dustin07...Ignorance. As stated above there are plenty of good/valid reasons for bags. Even if the reason is "it looks sick when its dumped". And the comment "a lot of good trucks are getting waisted with bag kits" makes me laugh :-D
Old 07-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
1963c-10

Im a fan of both, and feel both have their purpose. I prefer classic/stock look w/heavily modified engine and drivetrain, but I dont knock what anybody else does. I think alot of trucks look good low...and alot look fine w/stock height or even raised. I say to each his own and thats what makes these builds personal. Sometimes you have to think outside the box and I support 60-66 and classic trucks in any condition or style. Im just glad there are enough of us left trying to preserve them and keeping them on the road and that we live in a country where we have the option to drive what we want.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy View Post
why bother having air bags? people say "it looks sick when its dumped" but whats the point when ya cant drive it that way? i dont hate them i just think they are way over rated and a lot of good trucks are getting waisted with bag kits and 22'' rims. is it just me? or do others feel the same.
Sure you can,...
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Sure you can,...
That's what I'm talkin bout!
My Blazer has a smoother ride and handles better with bags.
Attached Images

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY
KevsClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #17
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy
I have bags (or will, doing the front now) and 22s, so I will somehow pick up the shattered pieces of my life and find a way to carry on with your scorn, although it hardly seems worth it.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #18
shortbed70

I put bags on my 65 because they were given to me and alot o the things that went with them. I like the fact that when loading on a trailer I don't have to worry about scraping and if I need to go over a curb or something at a show I have no worries... Made things easier for me and cheaper... Oh yea I can drive mine aired out also... Gotta be careful but it won't leave me stranded. So basically for me it was practical to bag so I can load and unload with no issues and lay it low when it's parked because my truck is to ugly to look underneath anyway...
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I've had bagged vehicles....at the time, I thought I'd never want to own one again after I dumped cash into a mini truck s10 project. All of its imperfections were my fault tho; I didn't run shocks (bags only on a newer car is too bouncy, only works on this old heavy stuff lol) and I didn't run an auto-leveler, which is AWESOME for a daily should you get a small leak or cheap gauges that don't read well.

Now that I've had back surgery, bones removed, and in general become an old man at 26, I'm really considering going back to air. Its a smooooth ride, and getting in and out of the vehicle is really easy.

While I'm a fan of pro street trucks, I won't say every truck would look good that way, its all about the combo of parts, fab skill, and yes some common sense in design.

....I need a bagged caddy.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

13 years of playing with hotrods and I still don't understand why people can't get their minds around lowered or bagged trucks. You could drive a POS camry, or a miata, or some other junk car that accomplishes nothing, or a truck.

and even bagged or slammed the truck still has a perfectly fine bed. And if done right, a bagged truck can tow just fine.

I realize its just ignorance... but man.

i just like the looks of slammed trucks. and I dont know if there is anything cooler in the world than pulling up next to someone at a redlight and airring out...

SSSPPPPPSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SPSH SHPSH!

SSSPPPPHSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

my bagged '99 ext cab v8 silverado was my dd for a year and I drove it to work every day 1" off the ground, grinding speedbumps, turtles, road imperfections, etc. I loved feeling like my butt was grinding the hwy flying down the road. holy crap i miss that.
Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #21
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

I get even less the raised, body-lifted, multi-shock per wheel, 4-wheel drive pre-runner trucks that are never driven off road, but I still respect the craftsmanship, engineering, etc. that goes into them. Personally, I ran static dropped vehicles for many years with varying degrees of damage from the less-than maintained roads in California. I now run air springs on my lowered, street driven hot rods for adjustability to road conditions, as well as egress and ingress to steep-approached driveways.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #22
Rat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
Personally, I ran static dropped vehicles for many years with varying degrees of damage from the less-than maintained roads in California. I now run air springs on my lowered, street driven hot rods for adjustability to road conditions, as well as egress and ingress to steep-approached driveways.
Another good reason! The roads up here in the Portland SUCK A$$ too. I look forward to the adjustability and the egress and ingress bonus :-D
Old 07-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #23
badriand

Quote:
just like the looks of slammed trucks. and I dont know if there is anything cooler in the world than pulling up next to someone at a redlight and airring out...

SSSPPPPPSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SPSH SHPSH!

SSSPPPPHSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
badriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #24
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriand View Post

lol you know what i'm talking about
Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
ArkGL01

I have had stock and bagged and now have a lifted truck also. Each truck gives you a different feel. I think bagged looks great but I always hated the thought of blowing a line or bag. Then when you would drag it on the freeway it would be so much fun or pull up and slam it down and people would give you a thumbs up. I really like the older trucked lowered and mean looking so you get the stock look but just lowered. To each there own and I think it depends if what you plan on doing with it.