The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
jojoman

fire wall repairs

i have got some firewall rust right in bottom behind the block and some behind the brake master cylinder do you guys know of any one who sells the fire wall or anything like that
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
benoit454
Chris

Re: fire wall repairs

none that I know of, you just need some flat steel. cut it out and weld it in.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
jojoman

is it possible to take off a whole fire wall out or no
Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Aegeas

I am going through this exact issue right now and it sounds like we have some of the same spots. I would think it would be easier to get a new cab than try to replace a whole firewall. That being said, all of the metal is flat, but razor thin when the rust gets to the back side of it. Even with a tiny wire welder you are going to blow holes left right and center. I would get a new cab or put new sheet metal across the surface. You are going to be miserable if you try to butt weld it and make it look smooth and factory. This I know from experience.
Aegeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
jojoman

dang i did not want to head in the=at direction but it does sound easier now to find a rust free cab
Old 01-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoman View Post
dang i did not want to head in the=at direction but it does sound easier now to find a rust free cab
i've got one if you need it. It's in Austin.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
benoit454
Chris

you could cut it all off and put on a new one. But you still have to find another cab to get it.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 01-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
jojoman

man i wish they made panels for this im have to hit lmc up
Old 01-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
benoit454
Chris

they do not have them nobody has firewall replacement pieces, not lmc, classic, paddock, brothers, nobody makes them that I am aware of.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 01-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #10
jojoman

man that really bites you think they would even take it into consideration if we sent them a email about it
Old 01-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #11
benoit454
Chris

doubtful but you never know. I junked a whole truck because of that same problem. I had a fist sized hole over the gas pedal and on the ps from the kickpanel under the dash all the way to the trans hump was gone about 3 inches tall all the way across. I saw a couple guys cut their firewalls out on here and make smooth ones, looked great, but you could patch them you just need flat steel cutting tools and a welder.

I know lmc makes the lower cowl area now which is hidden behind the fender, and then they make almost all the rest for the lower side of the cab just not a firewall.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
Big Blue

I just crushed a cab for the same reason.
My nephew told me that his friend had a cab that was in great shape for $100.00. Went to look at it and he was not truthful. It had the typical chevy ROT, Rockers,floor, kick panels. Cab corners were great. I did not even think of looking at the firewall, how often do you see holes,rust on the firewall. The carpet and firewall pad hid the rot. I just looked for the normal stuff. Got it home started looking over the cab to see what I needed to do to the cab. I was shocked that the firewall had so much rot. It was around the heater box as well as the top of the firewall and under the power booster.
Felt it would be more trouble then it was worth. Sorry, had to scrape it.

Big Blue,John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #13
big_b

i just finished repairing my firewall. i noticed my solid floors were wet and wondered why. i looked a little closer and saw that the factory seam sealer let go. all the water and muck sat in the the upper seam. it rusted a hole into the cab. it wasnt that hard of a repair. cut the bad pieces out and weld new pieces in.
big_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #14
jojoman

i just might tried it but man i really dont want to have that head ache
Old 01-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
red97k1500

I have this same problem also, I have rust close to the brake booster.Its like water sat in cowl area or somthing. I dont know what i was thinking when i bought the truck lol, cause i knew it had rust.But im not gunna let it stop me. I fully 100% intend to repair the rust, i gunna cut out some patch pannels and burn them in. I know the truck will never be perfect, but thats not what im going for. Its guna be a rat rod/hot rod type truck. Here. I have some welding experience and i beleive i can patch the bad spots, i am going to shave the fire wall as well, get rid of the heaterbox blower motor and weld sheet metal in.
Here is a picture of my fire wall, if you look at the seam in the fire wall right above the disstributer you can see the rust.I realy should not have bought the truck in hinde sight, but for some reason i just had to have it lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by red97k1500; 01-25-2011 at 10:02 PM.
red97k1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
jojoman

you have more pics of truck to see why you bought it
Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #17
red97k1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoman View Post
you have more pics of truck to see why you bought it
I paid $800 for it, but it ran and drove good when i got it till i blew the engine. i got just to give me something to do and have fun.I have always liked 73-87 chevy trucks.The truck is nothing special, Just a 79 c10 big10 lwb.350/350.These are the only pictures i have of it.Its still a solid enough truck for me to keep, i like it and dont have the heart to part it or scrap it.It is, was it is.There is also some rust in the floors, and one cab corner is rotted,but the rockers are solid,very rusty for a texas truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by red97k1500; 01-25-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: adding more info
red97k1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #18
big_b

the fire wall/cowl area is one thing. if the rust is bad there imagine what its like on the opposite side, inside the cab. once water starts getting inside the cab your floors will rust from the inside out. not to mention youll be driving around in a sauna with out all the heat and steam! a quick fix is to pick the globby factory seam sealer out between the firewall/cowl/cab seam and then re-seam seal with a good quality sealer.
big_b is offline   Reply With Quote