The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2003, 11:01 AM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

progress on rusty

progress
pulled the bed off of rusty today to start the restoration. All went amazingly well for the amount of rust on the back of the truck. I was actually amazed that all but three of the bed to frame bolts came off with the air gun and compressor. one of them i was able to just cut the head off and it fell through the chassis and two i had to use my dremel ( god i love that tool) to bust the nut in half
as soon as my son and i got the bed off ( its trash so that goes to the boneyard monday) i drove to walmart and bought my son two nice wire brushes and a can of rustoleum rusty metal primer and starting tomorrow ill put the kid to work . ( hell he wants this truck to drive to school, hes gonna work on it) the fun starts when we find the donor cab tho one of the cab supports is rotted we can use nuts and bolts to put a donor one of them on right?

pics to follow when i get a digi camera

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:51 AM   #2
sam79

You were lucky with the bed bolts. I had no dremel tool and had to loosen the bolts with a wrench and a big pipe on it the increase the torque. Men those bolts were nasty. Same for the cab bolts too; it took us quite a while to loosen it. Maybe I missed it but what are your plans for the truck?
'72 VW beetle
http://home.zonnet.nl/sandercalis
sam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 02:51 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

this was a rusted out stripped down c10 which i was using to haul garbage off of construction sites. My son sorta fell in love with it and being hes 16 and will soon be driving, this truck is going to be restored and improved on and be his daily driver, and being that he does help me out with my business kinda a work truck for him to drive. We are planning on removing the I 6 with the three speed manual and replacing it with a 350/four speed at some point but right now we are working on doing the body and frame... he wants that kindof setup hes gonna pay for that one lol.The body will be done up completely and we have yet to decide on the color. the new setup will also have air conditioning and power steering/brakes. It will also have a sliding rear window , tool box rail caps , rims, etc just enough to be a restoration but not a show truck

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 08-18-2003, 05:24 PM   #4
benscool1

Is that the truck you had for sale recently? Decide to keep it? Any idea yet on how hard it will be to switch out the 250 and tranny for a 350 or somethin?
benscool1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:49 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

YES BEN ITS THE SAME TRUCK IVE NOT DECIDED TO KEEP IT YET ITS STILL FOR SALE BUT AS IT GOES ALONG THE PRICE GOES UP AS WORK IS DONE THATS WORTH MNONEY ANYWAY

I hate cancer!!
Old 08-20-2003, 07:19 AM   #6
bagged81
Signals in the bumper.

Sounds like a nice father/son...errr son project. He will learn a lot.

1936 Ford Pickup - Frame-off in progress link
1979 Chevrolet Camper Special Flatbed link
bagged81 is offline   Reply With Quote