The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
cjohns

valve adjustment??

I need help on how to adjust my valves in my 235 six with hyro/lifters.I'm going to put all new ones in and new push rods also.This is in my 62 Impala (sorry)but this a Chevy forum and it's by far the best place for info!!!!!!I'm in Anoka Mn and if there is some one who knows some one around me that still can adjust these correctly let me know,I've tried to adjust the old ones but I still have chatter.CJ.
cjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Re: valve adjustment??

CJ, gunna move you to the engine/drive train folks for a wider audience.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
cjohns

cool!
cjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

(This is for a 250 but 235 should be the same)

I copied this from internet for future use. I've always done the adjustments with the engine running but this is much cleaner.

Valve adj. engine stopped

Remove valve cover.

Adj. valves when lifter is on the base circle of the camshaft lobe (valves closed) as follows:

Mark distributor housing with chalk at No. 1 and No. 6 cylinder positions(plug wire), then disconnect plug wires at the spark plugs and coil and remove distributor cap and plug wire assembly(if not previously done).

Crank engine until distributor rotor points to no. 1 cylinder position and breaker points are open. Following valves can be adjusted with engine in No. 1 firing position. No. 1 cylinder--exhaust and intake No. 2 cylinder--intake No. 3 cylinder--exhaust No. 4 cylinder--intake No. 5 cylinder--exhaust.

Back out adjusting nut until lash is felt at push rod, then turn in adjusting nut until all lash is removed. This can be determined by rotating with push rod with fingers while turning adjusting nut. When play is removed, turn adjusting nut in 3/4 additional turn to center lifter plunger.

Next crank engine until distribuor rotor points to No. 6 position and breaker points are open. Following valves can be adjusted with engine in No. 6 firing position: #2 cylinder--exhaust #3 cylinder--intake #4 cylinder--exhaust # 5 cylinder--intake #6 cylinder--intake and exhaust

Install distributor cap and spark plug wire assy and install rocker arm cover and adjust carb.

Engine runningfollowing procedure, performed with engine running, should be completed only if readjustment is required.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Valve lash adj on 250.txt (1.4 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by 68gmsee; 05-07-2011 at 09:23 AM.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote