The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2014, 02:21 AM   #1
NDWEEDS

Ultra low Camaro clip install question...

So I'm curious, I'm preparing to do my clip install and I want my stance to be really low. I was looking to recess the clip horns into the frame in order to make the front sit even lower? My concern is, will this process make the motor and transmission to high and therefor cause clearance issues with the cab? The plan is to run a big block and 700R4.

Here is an example:
Name:  3-14-09004.jpg
Views: 1960
Size:  73.1 KB
NDWEEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Speedbumpauto

Re: Ultra low Camaro clip install question...

I did mine almost exactly the way the one in the pic is done, other than ending my outside stub at the cab mount and carrying the inside stub back along the frame. I cut a slot in the sub frame right about the lap weld so the edge of the truck frame would slide into it then kept stuff level by clamping/welding the inner part of the sub frame to the bottom rail of the truck frame, then boxing. I don't think I would want it any lower than it is unless it had bags.....and the stance is pretty good, I think. There are pics of it in here.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
mr48chev

I didn't see how my friend actually put that one together before I took the photo but the ones he had done before sat pretty low. Modifying a trans hump or clearance is often just another step in the build if we get everything the way we want it.t

I don't think he had a rear trans mount on the trans in the photo so the rear of the trans would be a bit higher.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Speedbumpauto

ALSO....I'm running a bbc-th-400 and I think it would have fit the firewall with minimal modification in the stock sub frame location but I sat the engine back about 5 inches and redid the inner firewall and trans tunnel. There's a company in SoCal that makes a setback firewall and trans tunnel that welds in and makes the project pretty easy. If you decide to go that way, I'll look up the name. They have a good website.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
LSXapache

I put mine in lux blue style, lapped and its as low as I would wanna go imo. I can came very close to not fitting my drivetrain in the trans tunnel
Old 05-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
NDWEEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXapache View Post
I put mine in lux blue style, lapped and its as low as I would wanna go imo. I can came very close to not fitting my drivetrain in the trans tunnel
Did you move the clip forward at all?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
NDWEEDS

And what do you mean by "lapped"? Recessed into the frame rails?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
LSXapache

Yes about an 1.5" if I remember correctly. Mine has the original truck frame lapped on top of the camaro subframe.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
NDWEEDS

So you moved the clip forward 1.5 inches, welded the clip horns under the frame and still nearly had clearance issues with a 5.3L? Then it doesn't sound like big block will fit with the clip recessed into the frame without some firewall and tunnel fabrication.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
Rednek13x

check out this build thread, look on post #18 and also check out page 8

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486238
Rednek13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #11
NDWEEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednek13x View Post
check out this build thread, look on post #18 and also check out page 8

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486238
Thank you. I found this info to be very helpful.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
LSXapache

I had to push the engine back towards the firewall to fit the fbody oild pan in the subframe, the valve covers are close but clear by .25-.5 everywhere. I think a stamped steel rear sump pan on a big block would let you come forward from where my engine is mounted. My problem was the trans case/bell housing getting into the lip of the inspection plate opening
Old 05-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #13
59stepside

I also wanted mine super low... I debated about doing mine like the pic in your first post as I asked for much advice on here on people's thoughts and logic. I am soooo happy I didn't go that route. I'm not saying that others that do, or did it that way is bad or with any negativity.

I did the normal, Camaro frame under truck frame and welded it up. Lux blu style. My spindles were chewed up so I had to buy new ones so I went ahead and got the 2" drop spindles. When I got it all together, I realized that I had to go with a really small front tire to even be able to turn at all. These wheel wells on these trucks when lowered make it hard to fit a good sized tire in there. So the smaller wheel brought it even lower. And it still rubbed and was not drivable. So I just bought airbags and installed them and have the best of both worlds. I can lay frame and raise it up enough to drive.

It I had done the clip, like in post "1 it would have been to low, but I imagine it would be the same as what I have with the 2" drop spindles... I would say it's much easier just to put the Camaro frame under the truck frame and will save you so much time and it seems like it would be much easier for everything; measuring, keeping it level, welding... If it's to high, get some drop spindles, or bags.. You can always take those on and off, but your frame welded is another story. This is my truck with the Camaro clip welded underneath and drop spindles, and original coil springs. And not drivable because I couldn't turn the wheel.
Attached Images

1959 Stepside build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=602386
59stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:42 PM   #14
59stepside

And I had one of my cheap roll around tires go flat and it was sitting on frame.. And exhaust headers were touching the ground. When I bought rims, I bought the largest rim I could fit (17") to keep everything above scrub line.
Attached Images

1959 Stepside build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=602386
59stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:54 PM   #15
Rednek13x

i decided to graft my clip into the frame, i have not welded it together yet but from my measurements at ride height the rockers will be about 5.5" off the ground. The clip will be sitting at the stock height for the trans am. Ill use bags to get it on the ground and be able to lift it above stock height a little.
Rednek13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #16
NDWEEDS

Hey Speedbumpauto, what did you set your wheelbase at?
Old 05-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
Speedbumpauto

I don't know. I did it by the eyeball method. Once I had the sub frame riding on the lower rail, I just kept trimming and sucking the sub frame in until the wheels were centered in the well with the dog house on. IIRC, it was about 1 1/2 inches farther forward than the original C/L. I was lucky because the guy I bought the sub frame from alerted me to the situation before I started. It's the only clip I've done and probably wouldn't do it again considering the options available now. It's a lot of work to get it right and the track width/wheel problem is what I find most annoying. I'm a fat tire, deep dish kind of guy.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #18
NDWEEDS

Yeah, the width is an issue. Anybody ever sectioned and narrowed the subframe? I wonder if this would cause motor clearance issues if you took an inch or two out.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #19
Speedbumpauto

Seems sectioning would do it but open up a whole nother can of worms as the motor mount holes and steering column mount wouldn't be in the right places anymore. All problems that can be solved, though. I used Heidt's narrow control arms and coil overs+ trimmed the inner front fender lip. Gave me a little bit of wheel and a somewhat reasonable turning radius. When I get overwhelmed in fabrication, I sometimes resort to standing back and throwing money at it. In this case I like the result.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #20
NDWEEDS

As far as the motor mounts go, I could easily use weld in mounts. The steering box would only move over an inch or so. Does the steering box line up perfectly in your truck now?
Old 05-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #21
Speedbumpauto

Not perfect but close, if you mean only having to use two U joints. The shaft clears the headers by about 1/4 inch and it was a simple install. To me, it's a matter of picking your battles. I did so many things to this truck I ended up hating it towards the end so the things I did work arounds on ended up being OK for me. It would be interesting to see how a sectioned sub would work out. Steering could be a hard problem. Tie rods might have enough adjustment with simple mods but the center link would have to be cut and rewelded (or something) because there's no adjustment on that. Might be a little nervous welding on steering stuff.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #22
NDWEEDS

Well I did a bunch of research and only found two people that have done it but there wasn't much info or feedback on the results.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:38 AM   #23
NDWEEDS

So would a Camaro subframe that is narrowed 2" be similar to installing a Nova subframe? I hear that the Nova subframe is narrower than the Camaro, does anyone know by how much?

Name:  Gen2narrow.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  6.6 KB
Old 05-18-2014, 12:53 AM   #24
NDWEEDS

Actually, now that I have tracked down some measurements, the Camaro and Nova subframe dimensions are nearly the same.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #25
Mac the Yankee

The Camaro and Nova (and Firebird/Trans Am) subframes are identical, depending on the year. 67-69 Camaro and 68-72 Nova are a match, as well as 70-8? Camaro and 73-77 Nova.
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote