The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
A69C10

To start the tear down or not???

So this truck is not a daily driver and shop space is good (20X40) bed is already off and truck is driveable. Do I tear it down or do a piece at a time (IE) clean frame and do sus. and then move on to cab work rockers cab corners the normal repairs needed
A69C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: To start the tear down or not???

that's a hard call. Anytime I try to organize and plan a project it seems that either finances or logistics get in the way of staying to the task list and I end up skipping around and working on what either I have the parts or money to do at the time.
I'd rather do the chassis, body and engine in that order though as having the chassis done and up and rolling allows a guy to set the body and then engine in place when they are ready.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
snaus32

Boy I"ve been in your shoes! lol I'm going on year 4 of my resto. The first year I drove it in the summer, pulled it in the shop 28 by 40. Took it apart painted the frame did some body work got the itch to drive it in the spring put it togeteher and started over again in the fall! lol After 3 years of playing with it and really not getting anywhere I had my father pull the motor out and we got to buisiness. I'm getting ready for paint now and the 327 is at the machine shop getting rebuilt.

So if I were to do it all over again I would get after it right away so it would be done now but they sure are fun to drive around pretty or patina. My advice either way Make a detailed plan and budget first before you even get started things will go much smoother than my resto. Have fun and remember it takes time and never give up.

Last edited by snaus32; 02-25-2010 at 05:14 PM.
snaus32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
mrh33916
Project '67 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
that's a hard call. Anytime I try to organize and plan a project it seems that either finances or logistics get in the way of staying to the task list and I end up skipping around and working on what either I have the parts or money to do at the time.
I'd rather do the chassis, body and engine in that order though as having the chassis done and up and rolling allows a guy to set the body and then engine in place when they are ready.
I agree

I did chassis, engine, and now in the process of body work. My cab is finished and back on the frame. Doors, fenders, grill etc. can be hung up on walls out of harms way until you are ready to work on them. My bed is standing upright on the front panel against the wall out of the way (next project).
Dust has no limits and will get on everything. I put a old car cover over my finished frame while working on other things.
Just make sure you take plenty of pictures and notes as to how everything goes back together. It's also a good idea to make a list of replacement items that you know you will be needing when you start reassembly so you can look for these items at swap meets, junk yards etc.

Enjoy
mrh33916 is offline   Reply With Quote