The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
el_bole

front Bumper alignment

Got my slow build onto the next step;

Need/want to weld on original "front end"(1961) onto my 73' frame.

What's the best way to go about this? I C -Notched my frame and big some body panel work but I don't want to F&*# up this particular part LOL

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.....Attached are pics of what I will be working with.....(original front frame rail ends on work stool).....Also please consider that the frame railing is narrower on the 73' so it will have to be "widened" so that clip sits correctly(how do I strengthen it?). Thanks in advance fellas....
Attached Images

el_bole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
el_bole

Re: front Bumper alignment

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 05-31-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
oem4me

First let me say that I don't do frame mods every day, but it seems the obvious route would be to get the correct front bumper and bolt the corresponding frame ends to it. Then, slowly trim back each of the interfacing new/old frame sections till the bumper fits in its proper place, and weld it up. The trick would be determining approximately where the best meeting point is before cutting. Less of one, more of the other, maybe an angled cut or Z shape, overlap?, etc.
Funny how easy that was to dispense info not based on experience, but pure guesswork. Good luck!
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
el_bole

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
First let me say that I don't do frame mods every day, but it seems the obvious route would be to get the correct front bumper and bolt the corresponding frame ends to it. Then, slowly trim back each of the interfacing new/old frame sections till the bumper fits in its proper place, and weld it up. The trick would be determining approximately where the best meeting point is before cutting. Less of one, more of the other, maybe an angled cut or Z shape, overlap?, etc.
Funny how easy that was to dispense info not based on experience, but pure guesswork. Good luck!
THANKS FOR RESPONDING! & Advice!!! Yup these mods don't have a manual Lol
Old 05-31-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

with what you have pictured, here is what I would do:

since you still have the radiator supports on the bumper ends...
and it looks like you front clip is on...

I would make sure that the front clip is good and tight, and that it is all gapped where you want it.

get the truck on jack stands, and then get a jack stand or 2 under the radiator support. cut the 73-up frame off in approximately the same spot that your 60-62 ends are cut.

bolt your 60-62 front bumper to the frame ends.
then bolt the whole unit up to your radiator support, being sure to use all the factory rubber and shims/washers.

you will probably need another jack stand, or some sort of brace to set the bumper in just the right spot, since it will want to drop down in the front, pivoting on the rad. support bolts.

now you will have a good idea where the stock supports go to meet up with the 73 frame.

depending on where they meet (you mentioned that there was a width discrepancy) you can now fab up some scrap to tack the ends in place right where they need to be.

after this, I would pull the bumper, and then pull the clip, or at least the rad. and grille support, so that you can access the frame ends.

with all the sheet metal out of the way grab some thick paper and make a pattern of the support piece (frame section) you will need.
I imagine using 1 "L" shaped piece (side and bottom), and then a flat piece (top) per side. Trim them to fit and then weld them up.

*** I haven't done this on a stock style 60-66, but it is pretty much the same thing I did on both my 60 elcamino that I sectioned and dropped on an 87 buick frame, and my 61 chevy truck that I sectioned and dropped on an 85 Pontiac frame (the truck I did this method in the rear as well to get the bumper/rear box mount)

Last edited by jonzcustomshop; 06-01-2015 at 12:06 AM.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
el_bole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
with what you have pictured, here is what I would do:

since you still have the radiator supports on the bumper ends...
and it looks like you front clip is on...

I would make sure that the front clip is good and tight, and that it is all gapped where you want it.

get the truck on jack stands, and then get a jack stand or 2 under the radiator support. cut the 73-up frame off in approximately the same spot that your 60-62 ends are cut.

bolt your 60-62 front bumper to the frame ends.
then bolt the whole unit up to your radiator support, being sure to use all the factory rubber and shims/washers.

you will probably need another jack stand, or some sort of brace to set the bumper in just the right spot, since it will want to drop down in the front, pivoting on the rad. support bolts.

now you will have a good idea where the stock supports go to meet up with the 73 frame.

depending on where they meet (you mentioned that there was a width discrepancy) you can now fab up some scrap to tack the ends in place right where they need to be.

after this, I would pull the bumper, and then pull the clip, or at least the rad. and grille support, so that you can access the frame ends.

with all the sheet metal out of the way grab some thick paper and make a pattern of the support piece (frame section) you will need.
I imagine using 1 "L" shaped piece (side and bottom), and then a flat piece (top) per side. Trim them to fit and then weld them up.

*** I haven't done this on a stock style 60-66, but it is pretty much the same thing I did on both my 60 elcamino that I sectioned and dropped on an 87 buick frame, and my 61 chevy truck that I sectioned and dropped on an 85 Pontiac frame (the truck I did this method in the rear as well to get the bumper/rear box mount)
Jon,

Now that's what I am talking about, get ya some of that!!!!! I really appreciate the time you took to break that down for me. I will take heed to your advice amigo.

Thanks