The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
mageckman

Need a little help

I've had my 72 LWB pickup for about 2 years now, and until about 2 weeks ago it was a very reliable truck.Driving into work on that monday, I started hearing some strange sounds coming from under the hood. first it started sounding like the lifters were tapping, like it does when it needs oil. so I pulled over and put some oil in it. When I started it back up, it was still running rough , but was starting to smooth out when it sounded like a belt let go and was stuck on a pulley. a wap wap wap sound. I shut it down and popped the hood. when I popped the hood I watched the positive battery cable arc itself in half at the battery. Now, I have replaced the battery cable, gotten the starter checked, and traced the wires to another break at the alternator.Unfortunately the break is at the two wire plug on the alternator. As far as I can tell this truck still has the external voltage regulator.I haven't had any luck trying to find a new plug locally, and am wondering if i can swap in an alternator with an internal regulator from a newer (73-87) style truck, and what kind of problems will it cause if I do. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry about being so long winded in this post, but I wanted to explain the problem and what lead up to it. Thanks, Mageck
mageckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
Americanrider

Re: Need a little help

There used to be a thread in the FAQ section on converting from ext to internal, but I could not find it. I did find this one and it's simple to follow:

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/tecref14.html

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Americanrider

Ok, now I found it...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=119379
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

How many times have you ran it until it sounded like it needed oil? That is not good. That causes a lot of unnescessary wear on the engine. You might want to check the oil level with the dipstick to avoid a high dollar repair bill.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:36 PM   #5
mageckman

Ron, I don't normally let it get that low. When I first bought it, the PO had run it almost dry. The first thing I did was change the oil once I got it home. Lately with as cold as it has been, and with all the other problems we have been having, I haven't had much time to do routine checks.American rider, thanks for the info and the help. Hopefully i can get it back on the road this weekend, weathwer permitting. Thanks, Mageck
mageckman is offline   Reply With Quote