The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
1slowM6

1971 c20 custom camper

I bought this truck yesterday from the original owner,truck has never been in an accident or re-painted but I noticed something unusual..it has a cheyenne20 emblem but no custom camper emblem on it,is this normal to have happened?the fender is also green under the emblem like they masked the emblem off to paint the white as shown in picture.please let me know if you guys have any info on this stuff,thanks in advance
Attached Images

1slowM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #2
jocko

Re: 1971 c20 custom camper

your white stripe has been added to make it a deluxe two tone (584 is a conventional two tone, i.e. white top only, solid med olive body) - 71 had the CustomCamper20 emblem in place of the Cheyenne emblem (not on the doors til 72) - am guessing PO just added the Cheyenne Badges on there because he liked em better - and it looks like he did this before the paint job and just masked around the Cheyenne emblem. Your truck's fender should look like the below pic. I think you should go back to em! Nobody repro's them, but they can be found pretty easily with a WTB ad on the parts board. Might not be a good idea until a repaint, if you decide to do one - but, while the claim by the seller may be original paint, the deluxe middle white has been added. Nice truck. My former 71 C20 Custom Camper pictured, I kinda miss it!
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:19 AM   #3
Ken B

Nice truck!
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:39 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I agree, the white was added between the trim and emblem was changed before that. Did they mask to the upper trim or remove? In '71, a Cheyenne Custom Camper doesn't say Cheyenne anywhere on the truck. Even the SPID says CST. In 69/70 a CST Custom Camper would at least have the glovebox emblem.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
1slowM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I agree, the white was added between the trim and emblem was changed before that. Did they mask to the upper trim or remove? In '71, a Cheyenne Custom Camper doesn't say Cheyenne anywhere on the truck. Even the SPID says CST. In 69/70 a CST Custom Camper would at least have the glovebox emblem.

I spoke with him this morning,when he ordered the truck he requested the Cheyenne emblem and that is how it arrived when it was delivered in 1971
Old 11-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
jocko

That's an interesting twist considering that the only thing checking the Custom Camper option did for a buyer was to replace the Cheyenne emblem. It did not get you all the HD components - they had to be ordered to have the cc nameplate as an option, but selecting Z81 did not automatically load your truck up as HD.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
1slowM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
That's an interesting twist considering that the only thing checking the Custom Camper option did for a buyer was to replace the Cheyenne emblem. It did not get you all the HD components - they had to be ordered to have the cc nameplate as an option, but selecting Z81 did not automatically load your truck up as HD.
Well that's what he said and I'm gonna take him on his word,he bought it new and I have seen some odd things with gm cars and trucks that were not suppose to be
Old 11-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
jocko

Ha, you are correct on that last comment for sure - folks did all kinds of things with these trucks at the dealer back then. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that's what the original buyer did - just pointing out that he probably paid $100 or so extra for the Custom Camper nameplate only to request that it be removed.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #9
SS Tim

It was most likely ordered and built with the CC/20 emblems and the dealer swapped them prior to delivery.

The Z81 name plates were a N/C option.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #10
1slowM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
It was most likely ordered and built with the CC/20 emblems and the dealer swapped them prior to delivery.

The Z81 name plates were a N/C option.
What's your opinion,should I keep the Cheyenne emblems when I repainted the truck or put camper emblems?and should it say white,green,white,green for paint?my buddies says white,blue,white and it white on top blue in the middle and white on bottom
Old 11-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #11
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowM6 View Post
What's your opinion,should I keep the Cheyenne emblems when I repainted the truck or put camper emblems?and should it say white,green,white,green for paint?my buddies says white,blue,white and it white on top blue in the middle and white on bottom
Since they are listed on the SPID, I would be inclined to put CustomCamper/20 emblems back on it.

The woodgrained bodyside molding and headliner will tell the world (in the know) you have a Cheyenne.

Paint is a personal choice and I'm not keen on Deluxe Two-Tone nor Medium Olive to begin with.

That said there were four production Two-Tone paint schemes 69-72.

Conventional Two-Tone, which your truck was built as with it's Medium Olive primary and a White roof.

Special Two-Tone, which in 71-72 is generally only seen on Suburbans. This had a White roof and White below the lower bodyside moldings.

Deluxe Two-Tone, 71-72, had a White roof and White between the mandatory upper and lower bodyside moldings as your truck now appears.

Custom Two-Tone, 70-72 used two select color combinations painted in the Conventional Two-Tone scheme with the roof being painted a secondary color other than White. Think Dark Olive over Light Olive or Dark Blue over Medium Blue as examples.

On your truck the safest would be the original Conventional Two-Tone. Is also the easiest since it is not a color change.

For something different I'd suggest the Dark Olive over the Medium Olive Custom Two-Tone. Its not a major change and easily reverted to original.

If you really like all the White, keep the Deluxe Two-Tone scheme and in the colors it now has. Its popular and salable.

However I caution against a color change like Blue or even a Dark Olive primary unless you are stripping and painting the truck inside and out.

Finally being a 71 there was a black grill perimeter stripe so many people often miss. Its a detail that sets 71s apart.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:34 AM   #12
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Custom Two-Tone, 70-72 used two select color combinations painted in the Conventional Two-Tone scheme with the roof being painted a secondary color other than White. Think Dark Olive over Light Olive or Dark Blue over Medium Blue as examples.

As SSTim stated here is a pic of a Code 556 Custom Two-Tone with Dark Olive over Medium Olive and the upper and lower body side mouldings.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Personally, I would do it as shown on the SPID. Your buddies don't know a good color when they see one. And most people make the mistake of judging it by it's dull faded appearance rather than how well it looks when in good condition. I'd get rid of the added white. Upper and lower trim looks great on solid color. One a 2-tone it more or less disappears...or becomes simply the border between colors.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #14
1slowM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Personally, I would do it as shown on the SPID. Your buddies don't know a good color when they see one. And most people make the mistake of judging it by it's dull faded appearance rather than how well it looks when in good condition. I'd get rid of the added white. Upper and lower trim looks great on solid color. One a 2-tone it more or less disappears...or becomes simply the border between colors.
It's staying factory color,I was asking for the paint scheme shown what should it say on the spid label