The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
RShaips

What stereo to use in uncut dash ?

What I want is the original look with good sound, Don't need the CD player since I don't really drive my truck that much, but I want good sound quality. I bought the double cone speaker from LMC for under the dash and will also add speakers in the Kickpanels or corners of the cab. My gas tank has been moved. I have seen the USA-1 stereo and it seems ok, I may buy it. Anybody else have any feedback on these units? I also see that Brothers offers a similar stereo, not sure if its the same or not? Or should I just go and buy a cheap cassette from any car or stereo shop? Thanks
RShaips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
jtminton
II Timothy 4:2

It's hard to find a cheap post style cassette player. There are some "Rampage" (Jensen I think?) brand ones down at the pawn shop by my house, but that's about it. They were $30, compared to the hundreds that the USA-1 costs.

MY TRUE PRIDE AND JOY

"Dangit, Bobby, people will see that oil stain and think I'm a drunk."
jtminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:18 PM   #3
formerfordguy
72 GMC SWB

cheap am/fm cas and a cd changer under the seat oh i see now you dont need a cd hummm..i need more coffee i had for a long time a am fm cass and two small speakers in the stock location love old country music on that

Last edited by formerfordguy; 05-31-2005 at 12:22 PM.
formerfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

This is something neat I saw on the way back from Vegas this weekend and it's only $30 bucks. It costs $30 and it can play MP3's using a USB memory stick ($15-30), iPod Shuffle or other similar devices. All you do is tune your radio to a specific frequency:

Details: http://www.gizmosforgeeks.com/index.php/god/849

Link to purchase @ Wallyworld: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...10364070514793

Not a bad idea...all you need is a radio with FM receiver. Jensen has a nice one (hard to find - model #CR-225X) or the Sanyo MAR-B1021 is another choice. If you want to play with the radio first, go to Pep Boys or another similar store - they usually have lots of radios to look at, lots of stuff in the Audiovox line.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:33 PM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Kenwood sells two AM/FM Cassette units Model 601 and 801. Both are very decent units and fit without any cutting. Tim Christian and Chevy duty stock them. Not sure where else you might find them.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:33 PM   #6
RShaips

Thanks , I was going to check Auto Zone and Advance Auto for stereos, I was just wondering about the sound and quality of the USA-1 models.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:37 PM   #7
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Here is something slightly different. I have a cut dash, its just not the radio area thats cut. I removed the ashtray (non smoker) and had to cut some to get a booster/equalizer to fit in. I did this back in highschool (1985?) and I still kind of like the look of it. I plan on covering the dash steel with some vinyl or something to give it all a more finished look.

HG
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:01 PM   #8
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShaips
Thanks , I was going to check Auto Zone and Advance Auto for stereos, I was just wondering about the sound and quality of the USA-1 models.
i had a usa#1 from custom autosound and was very happy with the quality of the music. the only thing i didn't like was they had too many small buttons on the control panel and i really couldn't make out what was what when driving i really had to be at a stop with flashlight and mag glass too make out the different buttons
I'M OLD WITH POOR EYESIGHT (BIFOCAL CITY)
but besides that it played tapes and auto reversed them and the radio quality and reception were excellent
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:38 AM   #9
barn9
Half a bubble off!

I have the Custom Autosound also, and am happy with it.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:59 AM   #10
pjmoreland

It would be nice if USA#1 made a stereo that didn't have all the bowties all over it, so it would look more stock. Personally I think the bowties all over look tacky.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:01 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I wish they could make them look "really" original.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:15 AM   #12
byrd
Union Electrician

got a two knob JVC from a fellow board member, Lamar and it works great fits perfect and sounds good. Give hima shout maybe he has got another he would part with.oh and it was resonable like about $75 shipped and the radio is mint!!! Randy
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:06 AM   #13
Putter
More Cowbell....

Naturally, I will have to save up for SEVERAL months, but here is what I am going to do in my truck. They take your factory 'original' AM radio, and convert the guts to state-of-the-art AM/FM technology. Looks 100% factory on the outside, but you get more power, standard & RCA outputs, connections for CD changers, connections for XM radio, etc....all for $399.00. Be sure to click on the "STEREO CONVERSIONS" link on the left side to read all the features that you get.

Here is the link: AntiqueAutomobileRadio

Last edited by Putter; 06-01-2005 at 09:08 AM.
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #14
Hunter
Lovin' Arizona Since 1961

Man, That's SLICK

Checked out the Antique Auto Radio link Putter posted. That is a VERY cool idea and the ultimate solution for tunes. Regarding the cost, I've always told my wife: "There ain't nuthin' wrong with that truck that a helluva lot of money won't fix!"
H.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #15
Terry Peerson

Personally, I would recommend NOT buying a am/fm/cassette. Cassettes are obsolete! Just because it fits the dash opening? I think someone needs to make a "shaft-style" am/fm stereo controller. No tape, no cd, just the head unit/tuner. But, capable of controlling auxilliary equipment that can be mounted anywhere. That way, no one needs to cut up their dash (unless they just have to have their cd-player in the dash). It just doesn't make sense (to me) to cut up your dash to install a cd-player when cd's will become obsolete just like cassettes did.

Just my $ .02

T
Terry Peerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #16
RShaips

I agree with that, but I don't know where to find one. That is a cool site on the Antique automobile radios kinda pricey though.