The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2007, 01:48 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Pop Sound in my Truck

This is a true story.I`ve seen a couple "Pop Noise" threads and just remembered my experience.
I was driving my son in the Highlander when I heard more of a "bang" noise from the right side.I`ve had things fall off the motor,lost parts of a spring leaf,belts break and slap the hood,etc.So,I was concerned and kept driving watching all my gauges.I`m thinking to myself,"What now?"Everything seemed fine and we got to where he was going ok.I checked under the hood and didn`t see anything wrong and drove home.I checked things out better and looked over my suspension and still saw nothing.I think I`d rather have found something obvious because I definately heard a loud noise.My son was unconcerned,of course.I picked him up in the same truck and everything went fine.It was a few days later while driving this truck that I heard it again."Man.what is that?"It sounded so bad it made me want to park the truck until I could figure it out.A sound like that can`t be good and bothers the heck out of me not knowing.I`ve prolly been through whatever can happen to one of these truck in over 35 years and this had me stumped.
I looked it over again,when I got home and just couldn`t find anything that could cause this "bang".
For some reason I opened the passenger door and realized I had found the problem.I don`t know why it never fell out and I never heard it rolling around before.But,it was an empty bottle of "pop" that my son must have left on the floor.
So that`s my story about a "pop" sound in my truck.I hope this can help others in the future.Always glad to help.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-22-2007 at 01:51 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:59 AM   #2
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Re: Pop Sound in my Truck

Tim,
reminds me of a story that one of my uncle's used to tell. he worked in the body shop at a local cadillac dealership and a customer had a complaint of a "noise" on turns so the mechanics check it out and couldn't find anything loose underneath so they sent it to the bodyshop where they started pulling interior panels and found an empty beer bottle inside the rear door. this was a brand new car not a used one so the bottle had to be put in there at the factory.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:05 AM   #3
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

I had a woman bring me her Saturn Vue with a noise in the back while making turns. After a test drive, I removed the baseball from the rear compartment and the noise was fixed!! They have two small compartments in the rear that are about a foot square. The baseball was in one of them rolling around. It was pretty funny when I told her what it was....
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

So,it`s not just me,huh?Believe me,I`ve had beer,I mean soft drink bottles roll around before.I guess this just sounded unique.When people left beer bottles in the truck there were more than one.So,they "tinked" together as well as all the thuds and knocks.This was only a couple times over a few rides.And,I don`t know why it didn`t roll out when he opened the door.
I hate loose stuff rolling around.I always stop and do something.Now,a beer bottle from the cadillac factory...that`s funny.

"I heard a pop."

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
When people left beer bottles in the truck
You make it sound like this would be people other than you
Old 12-22-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Of course,ociffer!!You know I know better.You can squish cans so they won`t roll with the opening up so they won`t drip.It takes a dozen or so before they start getting annoying with all that clanking.But,by then you don`t care.
Hey!I didn`t hear a beer,I heard a "pop!!"

Tim

Old 12-22-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
GREASEMONKEY72

if its empty its in the bed but theres been times where ive had the bottle that i was still drinking fall over and roll around and got forced to listen to it till i could turn so it would roll so i could pick it up and not to mention the one time when me and my bro inlaw were coming home from a concert and stopped at the gas station and each had 2 bottles, one soda one water each and all 4 sitting on the tranny hump and pull out of the drive way and they all start rolling all over the place and one even tried to get under the pedals, got us both laughing the whole time till we picked them up and we were still laughing a bit and then laughed again when we got to the house and told the story of what happened and ive had other things rolling/sliding around in the cab to

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME

Last edited by GREASEMONKEY72; 12-22-2007 at 04:22 PM.
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
DavesRide

That's good. i know the feeling. I picked up my 5 year old and we went down the driveway. As we came to stop or rolled up a hill I heard this noise of a branch dragging underneath. Kinda common out in the country and it has never been threatening so I kept going. There does come a point in time that it does become annoying and you want to get out and check it out in case it is grinding away at a seal or something. I get out and check. Nothing. We get about 20 miles down the road and Ihear it again. I can't take it I am going to find it. I look around for 5 minutes and with frustration I get back in. My 5 year old is laughing. He then says that it is the plastic gun with half dead batteries that is broken behind the seat. Problem solved.