The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
gonzo6869
Cops, ha, catch me if you can!

"You spend to much time on that stupid truck"

Well as the title says, my girl now my ex-girl, told me that one to many times. My reply to her was "this truck has been around way before you and will be here long after your gone". Was wondering if any of you had to decide between your two girls. At least now I can spend more time with my true love
Edelbrock intake and Carb
Hooker Comp Headers
275/60R15 on Rallies

gonzo6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
bikerbuck

Re: "You spend to much time on that stupid truck"

A true good woman would never ask you to choose, but mine did tell me to pick between restoring my cabinets and her one time, I picked the cabinets and things went way wrong cause she picked another guy...im still p*^%*
bikerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
jablack
Classic Chevy Recycler

I went through a few women untill I found one that understands. We've been married three years now and still don't complain, about trucks anyways.

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
1970 Chevrolet C50
1979 Chevrolet C30

Need another 67 or 68 soon...
jablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:37 AM   #4
71 super

When I was younger I had a good older friend tell me "Its hard to sleep with a truck". You have to find balance and someone who appreciates your hobby, if not things can be tough. I am lucky, my wife understands and leaves me alone, but it requires that I understand about her hobbies and leave her alone.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Had my EX wife give me a ultimatum over my Firebird I had built from the ground up BEFORE we married back in 84;

I would NOT let her drive it alone in fear of her in-experience and loosing control (455 HO under the hood) and crashing it.

She told me if she couldn't drive it I had to get rid of it or else...

Being the dummy I was at the time I sold it taking a half investment loss, Three years later she took off.....

Moral of the story;

NEVER choose a woman over your rides, A woman can take off at ANY time but your ride CAN'T take off without you !!!

BTW, I never re-married and never will. ALL lady friends are informed up front about the passion I have for my rides.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Bounty
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
When I was younger I had a good older friend tell me "Its hard to sleep with a truck". You have to find balance and someone who appreciates your hobby, if not things can be tough. I am lucky, my wife understands and leaves me alone, but it requires that I understand about her hobbies and leave her alone.

My wife has few hobbies but she came to understand over the years that when I worked on the truck I wasn't on a bar stool or up to something else that I probably shouldn't be doing. Plus she has got to go on a lot of road trips over the years when we went to events.

But If I had to do it again I'd find a gal who had her own crafts and hobbies that she needed the same amount of time for that I needed for my cars and trucks. You might have to build her a craft room or share some room for her craft stuff but she won't be complaining that she is bored sitting in the house while you work on that damned truck again.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
gonzo6869
Cops, ha, catch me if you can!

Wow, it sounds like most of you guys are lucky and have found someone who understands and or appreciate our hobby. I tried to split my time with the truck and Ex, but she was to high maintenance, so that did not work. Well, as said a couple of time, I have to find the one who is ok with it, or maybe even wanting to participate. Its no big lost for me, as I said she was high maintenance, time to move on. I am glad to hear most of you have found the right one.
Edelbrock intake and Carb
Hooker Comp Headers
275/60R15 on Rallies

gonzo6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

girlfriends are like jobs without a contract. easy to walk away and forget they exist.
tell her " I would like to have something in my life that is clean, good looking, and reliable. the truck will take less money and time than you. plus the truck doesn't get an attitude once a month".
that'll set things about right.

disclaimer; I am in no way an accomplished relationship counselor. do NOT take my attempt at humor as advice.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
70Custom10Nut

I agree with 71 Super. My truck is affectionately known as "The Other Woman". Plus side, I stay under the hood out in the garage a lot. Down side is sometimes family priorities are higher on the chart. I've had her for 18 years now and my wife for going on 23. It's a fine balance. I'm just lucky to be married to such an understanding girl. Love her to death. Cnut
70Custom10Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #11
big_al_71

my wife does not bother me at all with any of my toys,,,,,,,,a woman that gives you an ultimatum over a vehice does not care about you or loves you.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
Beuford

I'm lucky,my wife likes cars and trucks. She helps in the garage when I need an extra hand.She sandblasts all the small parts in the blast cabinet while I'm doing something else. Washes parts in the parts washer whatever.She loves to travel on the Harley and camp. We've been married 42 years.Life is good
Bob
Beuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
ripdog28

I am pretty lucky. truck for going on 7 yrs and wife has been around for going on 4. In the last year i have *****ed about her purses (15+) and shoes (50+) but she has also complained about me spending $$ on my truck. All in All, i have spent close to $20,000 in the last two years on my truck. She has spent about $2,000 on her stuff. I cant really say much about her spending $$.. She even told me not to sell the truck when i was debating on selling it. Good woman who listens to my truck talk, must be like me listening to her Fashion talk.
462ci, forged crank, H-beam rods, 10.5-1 KB forged pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 308cc, Straub Cam, Comp Cams chrome moly full rollers, Weiand Team G, Prosystems 950, TH400/3500 Dalenzie stall, Currie 9+ Detroit Locker w/31spline axles.3.5/6in drop. My Build.
ripdog28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

My wife met me and loved the truck I had. It was loud and fast and had character. This was 22 years ago, and I had the truck 5 years before then. Over the years, when times were tough or money tight, I had considered selling it. She was the one that kept telling me to keep it. She drove it as her DD for a couple years back in the 90's.

There are two things that have bothered her when it comes to my hobby.

The original cab had been in a roll over back when it was fairly new and had some aweful body work done since that time. Nothing was square for the door openings, floor gone, etc. When I started my build last year I decided to start with a new cab. She is upset that I'm not fixing the original.

The second thing was that I started up on a Jimmy build. I hadn't asked her before I bought the first one and she was upset about it. Says it takes away from my time on the truck. She has come around on that since then, but she would never say something as dumb as make a choice concerning her and any car.

I can always find another car...

Last edited by hgs_notes; 02-27-2010 at 09:29 AM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
packers05

My wife and daughter love riding in the blazer she understands that when and if I get bored with it I can sell it and just be out my time invested, then I will do the same with another vehicle until I die a happy husband,dad ,and owner of whatever vehicle I wanted within our means when I wanted it!!
packers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #16
GreenAcres
"I tawt I taw a puddy tat!"

A little controversy is good for a marriage...keeps things interesting. When choosing this truck, my wife wanted me to look at old Fords too (although I never did, other than on the puter) but ultimately supported me in this decision. She used to run with the rodders before we met and drove a '69 Grande GT 351W/C6/9", and I was driving a '68 Camaro 327-2/PG/10"NP, but we never held that against one another.
A woman that includes motorized things on her list of interests are out there...be patient. Regardless, it's still a 60/40 prop. I got the truck, so my next purchase will be for her...a lamb. :-)

Last edited by GreenAcres; 02-27-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: can't spell
GreenAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #17
MESS-HALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAcres View Post
A little controversy is good for a marriage...keeps things interesting.
LMFAO.........then I should stay married for a loooooooooooong time.

oh.......you said a little, not alot

on a lighter note, my buddy has been seeing a girl for a few months, I brought my truck over to "tinker" and she grabbed a wrench, got under the truck and started to take off my starter. I think my jaw actually hit both my feet.........she's definitely a keeper, haven't met one that wants to wrench with the boy yet, except for her.
71' C10 LWB/383/
72' C10 SWB/350/T350
15' Crew Silverado/6.2

Last edited by MESS-HALL; 02-27-2010 at 06:14 PM.
MESS-HALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
msgross

as already stated, you don't want a women that makes you choose between her and your hobbies. Mine gets frustrated at times but understands that I have "my time" in the garage every now and then. Of course I haven't been out there in awhile but that's another story!

Here's a good song on the subject...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #19
lt704

My wife of 24 years does not mind me taking time to be in the garage. She knows it's my thing. My daughter, 18 years old loves the truck, We take our special time togeather on rides, that's what it's all about, My wife is very happy about that.
lt704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #20
Shyguy

My wife of 34 years and best friend never gives me grief about my hobbies, but it is not her thing to help in the garage. She is a great help when it comes to home improvement projects, though.

My son loves these old trucks and has had more than either of us can count. He finally found a woman that understands and helps him when a extra hand is needed in the garage. She has been known to turn a wrench now and then but likes body work and sanding more.

She does complain a little when the yard is cluttered with parts trucks, they live in town, so we store as many of the parts trucks as we can out here on the farm.

We store them out of site of passersby so as not to tempt anyone. Around here scrapers roam the land looking for metal. I have had to run a couple off when I stored the parts trucks by my garage.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #21
badriv455
'67 Chevy C-50

Im seeing two different patterns here. Tell me if my priorities are messed up. I'm trying to sell one of my projects to buy and engagement ring, lol.

'67 C50 Flatbed Dump
'98 Z71 Ext. Cab
badriv455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #22
powell72

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriv455 View Post
Im seeing two different patterns here. Tell me if my priorities are messed up. I'm trying to sell one of my projects to buy and engagement ring, lol.
There's nothing wrong with that if you're doing because you want to, if you're feeling some heat, that's a different story.

Remember, if your woman is supportive of you hobby, don't take advantage of her and spend all your time on your hobby, it is a partnership.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #23
monte0185

I have had a project or two since i was in grade school lots of years ago. I grew up with an uncle and family friend who had a shop and just about every male in my family has been into some kind of mechanics. My wife understands my hobby and dosent mind me doin it but she hates to have a yard pull of parts and trucks so we have compromised and I keep my hobby to one truck at a time for the most part. I have had a couple extras lately that i got in an effort to find the perfect truck to build but other than that i try to keep everything mostly neat. keeps her happy and keeps me playing with my toys.

Moral of the story is a good woman will understand but the fact of the matter is if mama aint happy aint nobody happy!!!

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #24
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

ok let just break it down

you can stay home broke from working on your truck .....or
you can go to your buddies house and be broke...or
you can go out (bars) and be broke

at least she knows where you are what you are doing....if she wants the truck gone she can figure you will be too....my "freinds" all know its my hobby and if they don't like to jump in with me go for a cruz,car show concert what ever or for groceries then I'm heading out myself..my truck is my DD so if they judge me by it so be it

or you could always tell her that either she gets rid of that fat azz or you'll be gone it wasn't there when you met like the truck....I'm sure theres a comprimize

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #25
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriv455 View Post
Oh, and at one point I sold most everything I owned to buy rings. That was a bit more than the 11 years ago we've been married. We were together for literally a week when I proposed, bought the rings a month later, and a couple months after that we were married (in the USN, had to get paperwork, or we'd have done it sooner).

I *****ed about not having a tool the other night, then remembered why I didn't and walked over to a buddies house to borrow one with a slight smile on my face.

Trip
Trip59 is offline   Reply With Quote