The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2016, 12:47 AM   #1
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Portland Swap. Not sure what to expect!

My wife and I are going to make the 16 hr drive to take in the Portland Swap. I'm anticipating good things but don't know. I have been in Western Canada for 2 years now and quite frankly the swap meets I have attended here suck as far as used truck parts go. I have attended the Carlisle/Hershey shows since the early 80's when I lived in the east. I'm hoping Portland will be like those. Any tips on what I should bring other than my wish list ?
1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:50 AM   #2
stomper

Re: Portland Swap. Not sure what to expect!

I've never been to Portland but check out the Monroe WA swap meet in May. Still lots of good deals on parts for our trucks there.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:20 AM   #3
re1

I don't think you will be disapointed,
there is always a lot of truck stuff there.
Bring some good walking shoes ,
between the two sites you will need them.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:37 AM   #4
toolboxchev

Look for a guy named Joe, tell him the tool box sent ya! He has some stuff for our trucks.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Look for a guy named Joe, tell him the tool box sent ya! He has some stuff for our trucks.
I will look for him. He will be the one wearing a hat right.
1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
cdowns

make sure you bring a lot of American money cash only
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #7
Coley

oh baby!'
....I've been a few times although I won't be going this year.
It is fantastic in my opinion...really something.
Anyone who can't find what they are looking for there...probably can't find it anywhere.
Be prepared to get some exercise tho'....you will be luck to hit everything in 2-3 days of constant walking.
Here is a great tip...trust your instincts....if you see something that strikes you as a good deal or hard to find...buy it. Don't hesitate because if you think you will return later or the next day you will either not find it or it will be gone....do not hesitate...trust your man instincts...lol.
Its a great event and I wish I was going this year....regardless, keep us posted on what you find.
all Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #8
88Stanger

Went last year and going again this year.
I would suggest as others have good shoes, BUT also an umbrella or good rain clothes. I looked and it does not show rain now, but if you know the pacific NW, rain comes all the time.
Be aware that there are two actual locations for the meet, it is that big. The everyday working man location as we like to call it is at the Race Track. So if you are looking for good old used items, go there first. The second area is the Expo center. They have free bus rides from one site to the other. The expo center is more used parts outside also, but then there are the new items and repo. parts inside the Expo center buildings. This event is huge. I will be there on Sat, all day.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #9
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Went last year and going again this year.
I would suggest as others have good shoes, BUT also an umbrella or good rain clothes. I looked and it does not show rain now, but if you know the pacific NW, rain comes all the time.
Be aware that there are two actual locations for the meet, it is that big. The everyday working man location as we like to call it is at the Race Track. So if you are looking for good old used items, go there first. The second area is the Expo center. They have free bus rides from one site to the other. The expo center is more used parts outside also, but then there are the new items and repo. parts inside the Expo center buildings. This event is huge. I will be there on Sat, all day.
Got the shoes and rain gear covered. Bald as a cue ball so I won't need an umbrella lol. I will spend most of my time at the race track I figure.
All great advice! Thanks y'all ( he says in his best American accent) Eh!
Old 03-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #10
bronze 72 super

Bummer, no '67 stuff. I have '71-'72 items. Oh well. Supposed to be up in the low '70's Friday, '60's for the weekend, but might change.
2000 Tahoe Z-71
2004 Monte Carlo S.S. Supercharged Dale Earnhardt Intimidator
1970 Chevelle, Malibu Sport Coupe
2007 Harley-Davidson FLHX Street Glide
bronze 72 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #11
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
oh baby!'
....I've been a few times although I won't be going this year.
It is fantastic in my opinion...really something.
Anyone who can't find what they are looking for there...probably can't find it anywhere.
Be prepared to get some exercise tho'....you will be luck to hit everything in 2-3 days of constant walking.
Here is a great tip...trust your instincts....if you see something that strikes you as a good deal or hard to find...buy it. Don't hesitate because if you think you will return later or the next day you will either not find it or it will be gone....do not hesitate...trust your man instincts...lol.
Its a great event and I wish I was going this year....regardless, keep us posted on what you find.
all Good
Coley
Yes we have talked about this before. I have my list with a high/low price based on what has sold on the parts board. Carlisle and Hershey are similar to Portland from what I have heard. I know from past experience that the time to buy it is when it's in the hand based on my high/low examples. If I buy there will be others cheaper. If I pass and come back it will be gone lol. Been to Carlisle when it has rained days before and every day of the meet. Not fun but bargains if you don't mind getting wet.

Looking forward to it!!!!
Old 03-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #12
SeniorVerde

Portland Swap? Eh, it's OK:

SeniorVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:22 PM   #13
SeniorVerde

Seriously though, it's a good one- been going since I was about 6.

For the veterans of the swap meet, skip this part-
There are two swap meets going on, The PIR and the EXPO.
The Portland international Raceway opens on Thursday and the EXPO opens (to the public) Friday.

There are shuttles between the two (school buses) and towards the afternoon it gets a bit like a journey through Bombay on those buses; Car parts, hand trucks, goats, chickens, all standing room only on the bus.

Bring large and small bills, and good shoes & a light rain jacket.

Tons of good 67-72 stuff, as well as many others. I've seen a radio for a tucker, a Durant Grille, Mechanical fuel injection off of early corvettes, all for sale.
Even if you don't spend more than the admission (under 10 bucks at each place) it is worth it to see the projects and freak show stuff people are trying to unload

Last edited by SeniorVerde; 03-28-2016 at 04:29 PM.
SeniorVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #14
bronze 72 super

Looking for anything inparticular? Be vending in the 9000 area at the Expo Center.
2000 Tahoe Z-71
2004 Monte Carlo S.S. Supercharged Dale Earnhardt Intimidator
1970 Chevelle, Malibu Sport Coupe
2007 Harley-Davidson FLHX Street Glide
bronze 72 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #15
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronze 72 super View Post
Looking for anything inparticular? Be vending in the 9000 area at the Expo Center.
67 specific stuff. P01 full wheel covers. Not mint but nice drivers.
67 3 hole dash, just a nice outside bezel. Got a 67 speed warning speedo to put in it.
67 Long seat belt retractors fawn & blue.
BBucket rear brace. Repop.
67 lighter
TimTimmons Sutherlin Oregon Dealer emblem. (Long shot)
66-67 corvette oil filler tube 350hp.
4 Corbin Clamps
1 67 window crank
Owners Manual bag 66-67
67 Blue carpet low hump gas tank in.
67 dog dish singles to replace my crustier ones.
Other treasures as I see them.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #16
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorVerde View Post
Seriously though, it's a good one- been going since I was about 6.

For the veterans of the swap meet, skip this part-
There are two swap meets going on, The PIR and the EXPO.
The Portland international Raceway opens on Thursday and the EXPO opens (to the public) Friday.

There are shuttles between the two (school buses) and towards the afternoon it gets a bit like a journey through Bombay on those buses; Car parts, hand trucks, goats, chickens, all standing room only on the bus.

Bring large and small bills, and good shoes & a light rain jacket.

Tons of good 67-72 stuff, as well as many others. I've seen a radio for a tucker, a Durant Grille, Mechanical fuel injection off of early corvettes, all for sale.
Even if you don't spend more than the admission (under 10 bucks at each place) it is worth it to see the projects and freak show stuff people are trying to unload
I didn't know the Raceway was open Thursday. Thanks. We get into Portland around noon Thursday so I can spend the rest of the day at the raceway while the wife gets the luggage and settles into the Embassy Suites lol.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #17
Bomp

If you get a chance to hit the track, stop by.
You see the Portland Swap meet is kinda a two in one. You have the upper area (EXPO) and the lower (PIR Race track). Im down at the track, booth 1140.
Bad thing is you have to pay to get into each.
The upper area (EXPO) always seems to be more expensive. IMO

Its all good though. Good luck.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:59 PM   #18
James Pierce

Been going since 1969 we now park an RV at Portland meadows parking lot.
Can't see it all in three days. After two days your mind is overloaded. Hard to
make decisions. The man is right on if you see it, buy it, it won't be there when you come back. You can also take a cart or wagon on the buses in the
back emergency exit area. I am sorry I didn't seen chickens on the buses but
I did in Viet Nam and Thailand.
69 C20 350 4WD 4speed
69 C20 350 4 soeed
69 C20 CST 350 Auto
70 C10 307 4speed
71 GMC Supr 350 Auto
70 C10 350 Auto
67 CST 327 Auto
James Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:41 AM   #19
Cooper197

Is there anybody who's going to be at the swap meet tomorrow who can do me a quick favor?

I was there with my father today, he was interested in a car in the moment but ultimately didn't write down a phone number. He went home and did more thinking, decided he wants to talk to the guy. Its an easy rig to find. If anybody would be willing to grab the guy's number for me I'd be very thankful!

It's in the Expo side.
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:58 AM   #20
HeavyD

That swap meet is mind blowing. The ones I have attended in Canada have all been pretty lame, filled with lots of parts from 80s vehicles, sometimes an okd performer intake for a sbc etc. Portland? Couldnt take my money fast enough! Seemed everyone had something I wanted..its brutal on the wallet but great for the soul!
Old 04-03-2016, 02:30 AM   #21
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
That swap meet is mind blowing. The ones I have attended in Canada have all been pretty lame, filled with lots of parts from 80s vehicles, sometimes an okd performer intake for a sbc etc. Portland? Couldnt take my money fast enough! Seemed everyone had something I wanted..its brutal on the wallet but great for the soul!
Yes a great swap and even better weather. I had so much fun and got 80% of my list filled quite reasonable.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:34 AM   #22
vics stuff

I had gone to the Portland swap meet for over 16 years. As mentioned a lot of walking and rain most of the time. I bring a red kids steel wagon. bring a cooler with food and beverages. Also a good place to set for a while , taking in all the sites. Have not been in 18 years but will try to schedule it next year.
There are at least 8 guys there from Alaska , shopping for the first time there. I can not wait to here the stories.
Great place.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:32 AM   #23
Grumpy old man

Just a note to the swap meet guys , Northern tool carries a LARGE wheeled wagon they are special order only made in Canada and have 10" pneumatic tires and removable side panels . The wagon can carry 600 lbs ! Their very heavy duty and well constructed . I've had mine for 4 years and use it whenever I go to the swaps it makes things a whole lot easier to carry your swap meet finds or a few tricycle motors / curtain climbers / rug rats !
Posted via Mobile Device
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #24
Mr Handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Just a note to the swap meet guys , Northern tool carries a LARGE wheeled wagon they are special order only made in Canada and have 10" pneumatic tires and removable side panels . The wagon can carry 600 lbs ! Their very heavy duty and well constructed . I've had mine for 4 years and use it whenever I go to the swaps it makes things a whole lot easier to carry your swap meet finds or a few tricycle motors / curtain climbers / rug rats !
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll second that, got one that has yet to let us down. Actually picked it up at a swap meet.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #25
Clavo106

Had to make a run to Vancouver Friday. To go pick up a tailgate floor pan fenders etc with my vendor s shop.. didn't go but heard great things. Very nice weather. to bad I got stuck in traffic for 40mins
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote