The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
BP68

Talk me out of giving up.

Hey, all. Been on and off the site for a while now. Lots of great people and info here.

If you check out the link to my build thread below, you will see my 68 C10 project.

I need some motivation, because I am loosing it fast. I can't do paint and body work and that is my biggest hang up. This all started back in march 2002. Now over 7 years later, I have made much progress, but still don't know if the end is in site.

I stayed pretty fired up about the truck for the first 5 years, but now I am just tired of seeing it sit in my garage and thinking about spending more money on it.

One of my other dream vehicles is a 2002 WS6 Trans Am, and right about now I could prob buy one for what I have spent on the 68. And as the case usually goes, I'd be lucky to get half what I have in the truck as it sits.

So the question is, will it be worth it for me in the end? Do I spend even more, or just cut my losses?

The fun/anticipation factor is gone. At this point I am not sure the finished product will live up to the hype I had planned for it.

I plan to Never do this again. I either buy something finished/very close to finished/or newer model (like the TA)

I dreamed of a impressive home built show type truck that I could still drive. Now I kinda wish I had slapped it together, thrown some decent paint on it and rode.

Very frustrating combined with some other stuff at this stage in my life.

later all

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
71tahoe

Re: Talk me out of giving up.

Don't give up...

I actually have no idea about how to persuade you not to give up.

One thing may be your expectations. No matter how much or little you spend on a vehicle, you will almost never get that much out of it when you sell. You should build it for enjoyment. Enjoy the build. Enjoy the finished product.

If you're building it just to sell then don't get attached. If you aren't attached, sell it.

I spent about 8k on a truck for my son and sold it for $200 minus the crate engine, reman trans, driveshaft, air bags/controller, and gas tank. If I get use from the engine-trans-bags that's still $3500 in the hole and no truck.

My daughter now says she wants one. I think I'll be a little smarter on this next build.

Try to find a happy medium where you don't slap it together or make it a show quality driver. Just make it a nice driver that will last another 40 yrs.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
69halfton

hey man, sorry to hear that your having trouble keeping the fire burning...

Send us some pictures of what you have done so far...maybe you could get some photochopped renderings of what it could look like..might get you going again.

as cool as a trans am would be, its not the same as rolling through town in a 68 chev pickup, it doesn't matter how loud you make your trans am, it wont turn heads like the truck will. keep up the good work on it.

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
big_al_71

Cut your loses,,,,sell it as it is alot of people have had that dilema here is what happens you will start cutting corners and all the great work you have done will go out the window just because you want to finish it.
Building or rebuilding a vehicle is not for everyone I know that I am done and I am not looking forward to another project I have done too many as of lately so sell it for what you can and go buy a running vehicle and have fun....
good luck to you....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
smn69

Looking at your built thread you have done an incredible job so far. The body work is almost done. Finish the bed and get it back on the frame and at least you will be looking at a whole truck in the garage. It sounds like it runs and the interior can be done in little steps. You have a great looking truck! Finish the last couple of things and get out and drive it. There is no better feeling than driving down the road in a classic truck that YOU built with your own hands.
smn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

How much will it cost to get the bodywork on the bed done? It seems you are awfully close to driver status and it would be a shame if you gave up on it. I understand your feelings though, I'm feeling the same way about mine right now and have tossed around the idea of selling it as well.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
BP68

Thanks guys. Keep it coming. I am not building to sell. The first few years I swore I would finish it and have it for many years to come. At this point seems like it could hit the 10 year mark.

The economy, life, changing view on things are all deflating my motivation. I use to be a dreamer, no I am more of a maintainer. I have more desire to save and keep debts low rather than get that bigger house, next car, etc. And I am not saying living beyond my means.
I may not get the as many looks in the TA, but at this point I would prob enjoy it more. Hop in it and enjoy with a few minor mods and maintainence. No fabricating, redesigning, custom fitting, waiting on body work.

Don't know. Maybe I just need to rant and will feel better in a few weeks or next year.

I used to look at the 68 as envision the potential. Now I see it as a disappointing expense.

In the beginning I wanted to be involved in every part possible (I am a gm tech) (just don't know body work) Now I just want it done, but not sure if I can afford to pay to have everything done to finish it.

Sorry for whining. Thanks for the kind words.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
BP68

Bodyman is biggest hold up. He was cutting me a deal and I have been helping, but I just cannot get over there like I used to and he works alone. Not sure what it will cost to take it somewhere else that can get it done quickly.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Let me tell you a story about my brothers 71 c-10. When my brother was in high school he bought the truck and had dreams of making a show truck out of it. Time and time again through the years he spent money painting and changing wheels until he decided to do a ground up restore. So he parks it in his garage where he lives now and works on it 2 months and quits and 3 months and quits and his help comes and goes. To make a long story short he finally kept pecking away at it until he got it finished. He finished it about 2 years ago at the age of 34. He started the restore at about age 26. Now for the good part. Every where he goes he gets mega comments from everyone and thumbs up. Multiple car show trophies and everyone wanting a look. Its very hard to stay motivated but at the same time if you quit you will look back and regret not seeing your end result. Its easy to buy a 67-72 chevy done already but to put your blood and sweat in it is priceless. Dont take this wrong but a custom truck will get you more looks than your car always. Like i said the car would be nice but you see them alot more frequent. I will get some pics from my brother but meantime heres my before and after of mine.
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Here you go sorry i forgot to load em
Attached Images

72 4x4
Old 10-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

put it away and don't even look at it till next summer.
If you still wanna bail, then bail.
Doing this will at least make sure you aren't just a little burned out.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
big_al_71

When we redid my truck it took a little over three months that was everyday till at least 9:00 pm starting around 4-5 pm no sundays it was the only way it was going to be finished I agree about the satisfaction you get knowing everything about it, but it is hard when you depend on others. I know that I am done building anything as I rather fix stupid little things here and there rather to doing a frame off..because I know how long it would take specially when you are turning hours all day long...
Your truck is exceptional, love the color and the mods....
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
Ackattack

I've had 3 LS1 Trans Ams (well actually one was a Formula.....) but I would driving one of these old trucks is way more fun any day of the week.

Here's what I say to do: Go buy another beater 67-72 that you can daily drive. It will get you motivated to finish the nice one. Plus you can still hot rod around in the beater in the mean time.

Last edited by Ackattack; 10-26-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I've had 3 LS1 Trans Ams (well actually one was a Formula.....) but I would driving one of these old trucks is way more fun any day of the week.

Here's what I say to do: Go buy another beater 67-72 that you can daily drive. It will get you motivated to finish the nice one. Plus you can still hot rod around in the beater in the mean time.

Good advice.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #15
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post

There you go! That's the answer.

AND... Put a cover on it so you don't see it in the garage. LOL

Last edited by LOW DOUGH; 10-26-2009 at 05:37 PM.
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #16
Mudder

I bought my truck in 85 as a two wheel drive. I was driving a 77 4x4 at the time. In 86 they were combined. Been driving it since.

Check out all tthe different stages.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mudder; 10-26-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #17
mclairmo

I've never completed a build in under 4 years. These things take time. However, I did all my own bodywork, even the paint. It's not hard to do, just time consuming and requires practice and patience. I would recommend getting the truck running and driveable and start driving it as is and enjoy it some. Then, you can later decide what to do with the body, whether it's having someone else finish it, having that same dude finish it, finishing it yourself (after you take a body and paint class at the local junior college like I did) or just rolling some boat paint on it. The number one thing that creates a loss of motivaiton is the inability to drive the truck. If you can drive it while you fix it up, you will be much happier. A truck can be painted already assembled. May not be show quality but at least you will be able to drive it like it was meant to be.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #18
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

Family friend, deal or not, Your bodyman does nice work, but the excessive delays in the paint and body is what really seems seem to be getting to you.

Have the bed put back together and straightened out by a shop that has the manpower to expedite it quickly, then have your guy spray it...the interior is something you can do in steps. Just get 'er back together and DRIVE it....
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #19
cparman
sharp as a marble

What a really nice BUNCH of hard work and money!!! I am with all of the other guys that say cover it up and come back to your project in 6 months. I bought a 67 Chevelle, for $2000.00 and promised my wife I would not get carried away. Like you I knew that the money for me was in the paint and body work. I cannot do this. I stuck to my original plan, worked hard when I wanted to. When my project pissed me off, I walked away. I assume that you are on no deadline, which is good. You have way too much sweat equity in a really nice project to pass. I remember the day I cranked my ZZ502 up in my Chevelle. Like a kid in a candy store!!! DO NOT GIVE UP!! I did eventually sell my 67, and it was a great day. I had done what I wanted, and was ready to do another project
Attached Images

cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #20
NYC-10
screamin eagle

find a reputable shop with a decent price and drop it off.No matter how fast they say it will get done,it will still take months....and months....and months.It's out of your hair and you can slowly pay as they work.In 6 months when their done you'll have a nice ride
Old 10-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #21
OhioDan

I started mine in '93. Took out six bolts and let it sit for a year. Finally getting to the point where I'll be able to drive it next summer? Going through a burn-out stage at the moment. I'll pick it back up in the spring.
Here's how it started, and what it looks like now.
Attached Images

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.

Last edited by OhioDan; 10-26-2009 at 06:12 PM.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #22
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Man don't stop i just checked your build thread.............
72 4x4
Old 10-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #23
Davetopay

I also just looked at the build thread....you are SOOOOOOO close.

I second the idea of tossing a cover on it so it isn't staring you in the face every time you step in the garage. To make a driver all you need is wiring and a seat. Skip the body work for now, wire it up and slap anyold bench in it so you can run it down to the burger stand on a nice afternoon. I am willing to bet you will get a ton of people checking it out because it is a work in progress. They will be waiting to see what you have done next. Fog it in some expoxy and DRIVE it a little.
Davetopay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:21 AM   #24
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetopay View Post
I also just looked at the build thread....you are SOOOOOOO close.

I second the idea of tossing a cover on it so it isn't staring you in the face every time you step in the garage. To make a driver all you need is wiring and a seat. Skip the body work for now, wire it up and slap anyold bench in it so you can run it down to the burger stand on a nice afternoon. I am willing to bet you will get a ton of people checking it out because it is a work in progress. They will be waiting to see what you have done next. Fog it in some expoxy and DRIVE it a little.
Hell if its a seat you meed, I've got a Bench Seat sitting in the back of my 72 GMC YOU CAN HAVE FOR FREE.
(just gotta come git it)!
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #25
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADPURPLE70CHEVY View Post
Man don't stop i just checked your build thread.............

I kinda know what you mean even though I have never started a full on project...I had visions of such but just knew it was too much for me to take on..and I didn't think I would find what I was really looking for completed...but I did and I couldn't be happier...now it looks like you are pretty close on your project and it would be a shame to let it go now unless you really had to...if that is not the case I would step back from it for now regroup and attack it when you have the things in place that you need to finish it...I know you will be very pleased once your in the drivers seat...good luck and keep us posted.