The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
dan42

Stripped door hinge hole-

Aughh! I have a stripped door hinge hole on the passenger side (and one on the driver's side that's about to let go). Does anyone have any experience fixing them? I would think they would be a PITA because the hole should be straight when you retap it and not at an angle. What's the best way to do this?
Attached Images

dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Re: Stripped door hinge hole-

I thought one of mine was stripped but it was alright. What I was going to do if it was stripped, was take a longer then stock bolt and screw it in to the door, then get a nut on the end of the bolt and weld the nut to the inside of the door. If that makes sense. I'm sure somebody must have a better idea though.

Last edited by Sinister; 09-05-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
NevadaDVX

I also have one stripped. I tried tapping it, but there isn't enough metal left and the still bolt wont tighten. So, I may end up getting a longer bolt and putting a nut on the backside of it. I have a 6x9 speaker hole at the bottom of the door so it shouldn't be too bad to do. Who's brainchild idea at GM was it to put fine thread bolts on the door hinges?
NevadaDVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaDVX View Post
I also have one stripped. I tried tapping it, but there isn't enough metal left and the still bolt wont tighten. So, I may end up getting a longer bolt and putting a nut on the backside of it. I have a 6x9 speaker hole at the bottom of the door so it shouldn't be too bad to do. Who's brainchild idea at GM was it to put fine thread bolts on the door hinges?
Yeah, I don't think that was one of the more intelligent engineering feats on our trucks. You think liquid metal (epoxy) would work for the nut on the inside of the door?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post
Yeah, I don't think that was one of the more intelligent engineering feats on our trucks. You think liquid metal (epoxy) would work for the nut on the inside of the door?
It might work. The only point to welding the nut is so you don't have to take off the door panel and put a wrench on the nut every time you want to take the door off.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Shane
Account Suspended

this will probably require removing the door, but you could drill out the hole and tap it to the next larger size ...
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
JimKshortstep4x4

I have repaired them a couple of ways. Like Sinister did I used a little longer bolt with a nut welded to the plate. That works pretty well if you can get at the nut to weld it.
The other repair that I have done is to tap the hole for 7/16-20 thread. I ground the hex down on a bolt so that a 9/16" wrench would fit and thinned the shank to 3/8" so as to keep the adjustment play. I was able to do this with the door on but I did have to open up the hinge slot slightly to get the tap to go through.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
neba

in the corner where there is no bolt hole, add one. remove all 3 bolts after supporting the door. when you swing the hinge closed you will have room to drill a 1/2 inch hole.remove the door trim and you can reach in and add a large washer and nut. it worked for me.
neba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

I believe that I'd get some Permatex Thread Repair (Form a thread) and give that a try.
It'll handle bolts up to Grade 5 in strength. (I don't remember the torque specs because that varies with bolt size)
If it doesn't work for you, you'd be out about 10 bucks and less than an hour of your time.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 09-05-2010 at 10:17 PM.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
I believe that I'd get some Permatex Thread Repair (Form a thread) and give that a try.
It'll handle bolts up to Grade 5 in strength. (I don't remember the torque specs because that varies with bolt size)
If it doesn't work for you, you'd be out about 10 bucks and less than an hour of your time.
Sounds interesting - the one on the drivers side is a pretty good condidate for that, but I don't know about the PS - it spins pretty freely.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
dan42

I guess that's one good thing about speaker holes. I ended up getting a slightly smaller bolt and put a nut on the back. All I had to do was pull the speaker out. (The stripped one was on the bottom, thankfully).
Old 09-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
NevadaDVX

double post

Last edited by NevadaDVX; 09-06-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #13
NevadaDVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post
I guess that's one good thing about speaker holes. I ended up getting a slightly smaller bolt and put a nut on the back. All I had to do was pull the speaker out. (The stripped one was on the bottom, thankfully).
Yea, this one already had 6' holes, so went ahead and put 6x9's in it. I didn't need a longer bolt, I ended up using the original bolt since it wasn't stripped, ran it all the way through, and put a lock washer and nut on the backside. Worked out great and no need for any kind of epoxy, just start the nut andhold it with a wrench. If not for the speaker hole, it would have been a bear. one thing though, my door is gutted with no vent window at the moment. Not sure if that would be a factor or not.