The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
mclairmo

Need Part No. for Water Temp Sender

I need the GM Part NO. for the water temp sender with guages for my 68 C10 with small block. Cannot find it anywhere, even though I searched for it here. Thanks.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
mclairmo

Re: Need Part No. for Water Temp Sender

I think I found it, 12334869 and ACDelco part no. G1852, GMPartsDirect still has these for $15.01 each but with their $15 shipping tacked on to that. GMPartsGiant has it, too for $17.68. Found two on Ebay, too.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
mclairmo

Re: Need Part No. for Water Temp Sender

Read the below that I found from Corvette Specialties of Maryland, Inc.

Can you repair my temperature gauge?

It reads high, but my 'Vette is not actually overheating.

COMMON CUSTOMER COMPLAINT: (Applies to all Corvette electrical temperature gauges from 1955 to approximately 1972.) Customer will usually add the following: I know it's not the sending unit. I've already replaced that.

REALITY: ALL, (I mean ALL), each and every new sending unit that is sold presently is wrong. I don't care what the parts guy tells you or what the parts manual says, they are wrong. There is an exception to this, which is to find a New Old Stock (NOS) part. To my knowledge, these parts have not been available for at least 20 years. Our testing of a known good original sending unit and the currently available part, shows that both units read nearly the same - until the water temperature reaches approximately 180 degrees. From that point and higher, the correct sending unit will maintain accuracy, but the replacement unit will give you a reading that is approximately 30 degrees higher than the actual temperature. Unfortunately, in our opinion, the addition of a resistor (to alter the reading of the replacement part) is inappropriate. The readings are not consistent throughout the normal temperature scale. They do not vary (enough to be a problem) until approximately 180 degrees. For those of you that have a car that rarely exceeds 180 degrees, you will not notice an inaccurate reading with the replacement sending unit.

SOLUTION: We currently have a GM licensed reproduction sending unit with correct calibration for $22.00 each. The appearance is like the original, including the wording "A.C.- Made in USA.-12 Volt". You may also replace the sending unit with an original type. It may sound difficult but through research, we have found that many GM products from the 50's and 60's used a sending unit that will work in your Corvette.

I also read another article that explains that the newer AC Delco G1852 water temp senders are the same as all the aftermarket one and are wrong. As such, if we are using these new aftermarket units, our guages will be wrong. I am going to buy the repro Corvetter one and see if that is accurate.