The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

Talking Insert witty title here....

My wife’s Focus has been having some headlight issues lately so being the philanthropist (cheapskate) I figured I’d grab a headlight switch from the local pick-n-pocket to do some parts swapping and pinpoint the issue. Having never been to this yard I figured I’d look it over and see if there were any other goodies to be had for our year trucks and my boys’ Cougar and Mustang.

The pickings for 67-72 were slim to none as usual, but it had a very nice selection of later model tahoes, burbs, yukons and trucks that seemed to be relatively fresh. I found a couple 5.3 / 4l80e combos and several 96 up late models with 350s in them.

I’ve been in the “market” for a set of Vortec 062 / 098 heads for Screamin’s 307 and figured I’d scrounge around and see if I could locate some. Found a ’97 ‘burban in the back with 237,000 miles on the odo and painted on the windshield. I figure the high mileage is whay nobody bothered to look under the hood and give the motor a second glance. I did….

Seems that under that layer of dirt and old accessories was a GMPP crate motor….

Needless to say it was coming home with us…we came prepared to pull a headlight switch and maybe a bumper or tach dash…not an engine. It is really interesting how the human species can revert back to the days of the Neanderthal …improvising tools from items discarded by others….lug wrenches come in a lot of different sizes and seat belts are stronger than you might think…ask me how I know…

So onto the engine….

Once I pulled the heads and gave the block a once over I knew I had my new money pit…

The block according to my machinist is perfect…absolutely low mile bores are great, no ridge and it still has the hatch marks from the factory. Its an “880” high nickel roller block, 1 piece RMS with the powdered metal rods and 9.1:1 pistons. It does have the fuel pump boss and bore as well. SCORE!!!

The heads are the “good” casting 906 Vortec 64cc heads without the funky exhaust seat. SCHWIIIING!!

So my plans are as follows… any body that has built a roller Vortec engine or has any advice please feel free to chime in.

Block is being tanked, fluxed, surfaced .005 to clean it up and power diamond hone the cylinders. No overbore as it is not needed.

The heads are where I dropping some coin….

I’m having the shop radius cut the valve seats and install larger stainless exhaust valves (1.60) with new hardened seats, the seats will be blended into the bowl and should breathe a bit better than stock. Intake ports are gasket matched as will the intake. The spring pockets and valve guides are being machined for more lift and larger springs. I’m also having screw in studs installed.

The surface will be cleaned up (.005) to seal well and still maintain the 64 cc chamber.

The crank and rods will remain stock as I cant afford a stroker kit at the moment….and they are near perfect according to the machine shop...

I’ll be upping the CR with a set of 10:1 hypereutectic pistons and chro-moly rings. With the 64cc heads and the .020 deck height with a Felpro head gasket I should be right in the 9.5:1 range….92 octane pump gas.

So apparently the hot ticket in roller cams is the ZZ4 hot cam, well if that’s hot then the ZZ430 roller cam must sizzle

Duration at .050" is 218 I/228 E; and maximum lift with 1.6 rockers is 525 I/525 E. CL is 112 degrees. I plan on running a set of self aligning ProForm 1.6 rollers as well as Z28 (.550) springs

I’ll be running a Perfromer RPM airgap intake as it compliments the cam and CR nicely. I’ll re-jet my edelbrock 1405 and give the HEI a nice ignition curve to keep away the detonation gremlins….EFI will be down the road….

A similar build pulled 400hp and 420ft/lbs of torque running smaller valves and a slightly less aggressive cam.

I’m thinking that with my 700r4 and 3.73:1 rear I could see 10-12 mpg out of this setup

Any suggestions, comments or advice is welcome…

Any suggestions on stall speed and tranny upgrades would be awesome!!!

So needless to say we never made it to the Ferd section…I’ll just order her up a new headlight switch on Fleabay…

Last edited by screamin_c10; 03-01-2010 at 08:09 AM.
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Camaro_nut2001
Chevy Lover Till The End.

Re: Insert witty title here....

Your setup sounds pretty good. How much are you going to have in those heads? The reason I ask is you can buy a set of better flowing small chamber aluminum heads for under a grand. Also on those chro-moly rings, they can be time consuming to get seated good so be patient when you get her running, let them rings seat good. If it's a dd I wouldn't go above a 2500 stall as that will free your motor up at red lights and you will still have a good launch. Don't skimp on the cost of a converter get yourself a good one. Put a good cooler on that transmission. I would freshen that 700r up a little or go with a 400 but you want that 4th gear for gas milage. I would replace that 1406 with a single pump 750 holley and run it a tad lean, you know where your plugs are a tan color but not too dark. This is all my opinion's but you sound like you know what you're doing and sounds like you have a good machine shop so let us know how she does.
1968 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe - 327/350hp, TH400, all original.
Members I've met: BamaBaxter,

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=500359
Camaro_nut2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
screamin_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_nut2001 View Post
Your setup sounds pretty good.
Thanks!

Quote:
How much are you going to have in those heads?.
Just under 450 including the cost of the heads...

Quote:
If it's a dd I wouldn't go above a 2500 stall as that will free your motor up at red lights and you will still have a good launch..
Good info....Thanks...
Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
screamin_c10

So it looks like the H345np TRW hypereutectic pistions have an adverised compression height of 1.56...This is false as I have a set sitting here that measures 1.540. After doing some further research on this it seems that the printed catalog was correct, but the online sources are quoting bad specs.

This means my pistons are further into the hole than originally calculated by .020. In order to get a good quench and streetable CR I'll be decking the block to .005 with a .039 Fel-Pro head gasket that will put me @ .044 quench and 10:1 SCR. And with my valve timing I should see a 8.7:1 DCR...which is still in the pump gas realm with Vortec heads.

Block, rods/pistons come home tomorrow for final mock up and deck height measurement

Last edited by screamin_c10; 03-16-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Title:"Staying on Focus hard to do at junkyard"

Yeah buddy! Great find!Sounds good to me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
screamin_c10

Awesome title...Can we get a mod to change it???
Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
71swb4x4

That sounds like a heck of a score. It's funny how one rarely comes back from the junkyard with what was on thier list, it's kind of like going to the grocery store except a lot messier and way more fun.

PS - a philanthropist and cheapskate are not the same.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:58 AM   #8
screamin_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post

PS - a philanthropist and cheapskate are not the same.
Yeah, I was being sarcastic...sounded better in my head than how it reads on the screen...

Last edited by screamin_c10; 03-18-2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin_c10 View Post
It is really interesting how the human species can revert back to the days of the Neanderthal …improvising tools from items discarded by others….lug wrenches come in a lot of different sizes and seat belts are stronger than you might think
So are serpentine belts.

Sounds like a righteous score. I have acquired some sweet deals myself by shopping this yard or that yard on their half off days. Never had the fortitude to pull a motor though .
Old 03-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #10
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I was reading Camaro Nut's input and I am thinking back to the information that I have received over the years from Manufacturers like Holley, Edelbrock, and Barry Grant. I agree with Camaro on the fact that the 1405 is too small, but the transition to the 750 and running it lean may be too much. If you put this engine into a truck (4000 lbs approximately) you will have a vehicle too heavy to keep the air flow requirements up to satisfy the proper cfm ratings of a 750 carb. In that light I would suggest a 650 CFM carb, such as the Thunder AVS carbs that Edelbrock has. It is more in line with the needed air velocity to keep your engine working smooth on the street and not allow the air flow to bog down and end up leaving large deposits on the valves. I ran a 750 carb on my 84 truck with a 385 stroker engine and with my cam and tranny combo I was displeased with the faultering performance at a street light. This is where I got with the carb manufacturers and found that I needed to keep the air velocity up and get better performance. The 750 works great in a light car (like a Camaro) or a vehicle that has the RPMs at a high range, all of the time, but do not OVER carb your truck---you will hate the response every time you pulll out of the driveway. Your build is going for some serious air flow needs and if you load the situation up, you will be sorry. On a second note, if you are going for high end performance---the 750 will give you a great upper end range for power.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

^ My sentiments also.^

If you are going to street drive it(not for racing only) then keeping the airflow at the highest velocity without starving the engine for fuel will make it much more responsive on the street at part throttle.This is the advice given me also and seems to be the accepted rule for the magazine types who have the best knowledge at their fingertips.I think the 650-680 range is where you will get the best street power.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
screamin_c10

I've never fallen into the bigger is better trap when it comes to carbs, cams, engines, etc...It took all I had to build a 350 over my most excellent 307.. My cam is healthy but lift isn't huge (.525 w/ 1.6 RR) and it has a nice long intake duration (218 @ .050) to pull in a bunch of air/fuel mixture. Besides IIRC a smaller carb increases the velocity past the boosters, just cant deliver the volume of air in a given time that a larger carb can.

I looksed into the AVS and I dont see where they warrant the asking price. Other than the secondary venturi being raised above the boosters and made adjustable, I dont see any other changes. They even use the same tune-up kits.

I have 2 1405s freshly rebuilt and would prefer to use one properly tuned with a ram air setup of some sort to up the velocity at low speeds....

Last edited by screamin_c10; 03-19-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
I've never fallen into the bigger is better trap when it comes to carbs, cams, engines, etc...It took all I had to build a 350 over my most excellent 307.. My cam is healthy but lift isn't huge (.525 w/ 1.6 RR) and it has a nice long intake duration (218 @ .050) to pull in a bunch of air/fuel mixture. Besides IIRC a smaller carb increases the velocity past the boosters, just cant deliver the volume of air in a given time that a larger carb can.

I looksed into the AVS and I dont see where they warrant the asking price. Other than the secondary venturi being raised above the boosters and made adjustable, I dont see any other changes. They even use the same tune-up kits.

I have 2 1405s freshly rebuilt and would prefer to use one properly tuned with a ram air setup of some sort to up the velocity at low speeds....
The gain of the AVS carb is that it is a 650 CFM carb and the standard 1405 and 1406 carbs are 600 CFM. Just a point to consider. More flow but not so much that it chokes the engine.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #14
screamin_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
The gain of the AVS carb is that it is a 650 CFM carb and the standard 1405 and 1406 carbs are 600 CFM. Just a point to consider. More flow but not so much that it chokes the engine.
I see your point...I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for a deal on an AVS 650. My engine bay and peripherals are all set up for the 1405 so the switch would be painless once the new engine is in.

AND....

My wife would skin me alive if I drop another 300 on this engine....

Last edited by screamin_c10; 04-13-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #15
mikajo39
Gearhead and audio junkie

Nice! I have the same cam, has a real nice lope around 700 rpm. Nothing crazy and I still have plenty of vacuum for my brakes! Engine looks real good, pretty much the same as mine. Ported vortecs, and the LT4 Hotcam and the roller block. Should be plenty fast! Mine made 403.6 Hp@5900 RPM on the dyno and 413 ftlb @ 4100 RPM
mikajo39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #16
screamin_c10

Game on!... Got my block and both sets of Vortec heads back from the machine shop... The set with the bigger valves will be going on Screamin's engine and the stock set will be going on either my 307 or 327, Any way I Started assembly this afternoon and thought I'd post some progress pics....
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #17
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

My Master's thesis: "Junkyard ADD and it's affects".
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #18
Scott Webster
Sheetmetal Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
Thesis or book LOL
Future mods: 67 front clip

Webby's Rigginations - where everything has potential!
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #19
screamin_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post

Yup sometimes I feel like ol' Dug....

Last edited by screamin_c10; 04-11-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #20
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

Quote:
Yup sometimes I feel like ol' Dug....

That's some funny stuff. I was watching...wait...I think I see a pair of trailing arms...
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #21
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Screamin, did the shop do just bigger valves or was there anything else done to them? I'm going to install screw in studs, but am curious as to why they installed bigger valves?

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #22
Fitz
Account Suspended

After all that I can't wait to see what you come home with if you ever go out for turn signal bulbs for that focus!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:49 PM   #23
screamin_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
After all that I can't wait to see what you come home with if you ever go out for turn signal bulbs for that focus!
Went to the Portland swap meet last weekend for set of drag radials and brought home a flamed mail box....I have issues
Old 04-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #24
screamin_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Screamin, did the shop do just bigger valves or was there anything else done to them? I'm going to install screw in studs, but am curious as to why they installed bigger valves?
I had them install larger 1.60 exhaust valves because the Vortec's exhaust ports are known to be a little poor on flow. I retained the stock 1.94 intakes. The factory exhaust valve seats are only surface hardened and once cut for a good performance valve job they lose that hardened surface....so I was looking at new seats anyway....
I had them do a 5 angle grind on new stainless valves, the guides were cut down and spring seats modified for "stadard diameter" SBC springs (.880 ID I think) and positive seals. Screw-in shoulderless studs, decked .005 to clean up the surface, enlarged the P/R holes for 1.6 rockers....basically all the bells and whistles. I didnt have any port work done as it has been proven detrimental to the flow and swirl that makes these heads so great. I supplied all the parts and they machined everything to my specs....

Great shop off MLK Blvd in Portland, that is strictly word of mouth.

Should have seen the look on his face when I told him to take .049 off the block decks

Last edited by screamin_c10; 04-13-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #25
screamin_c10

Mikajo39 - What compression are you running? How well does it do on pump gas?