The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
myersjeremy

Transfer Case out.....now what?

I could never track down exactly where my leak was coming from so I took an educated guess that it might be between the trans and transfer case. I pulled the transfer case today and the fluid that drained out of it was decent looking. I pulled just the transfer case.....no crossmember or adapter. One thing that puzzles me is that fact that there was white gel/foam inside the adapter and on the transfer case. Fluid poured out pretty heavily from the adapter too. Could that be where my leak is? Am I loosing my transmission fluid into the transfer case and it is leaking out the vent?? Please help!!!
700r-4 and NP208

Last edited by myersjeremy; 11-05-2007 at 07:04 PM.
myersjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: Transfer Case out.....now what?

IIRC, the 208 is filled with ATF. What does the trans fluid look like? You may have picked up some water in one or the other, and it will look like a strawberry milkshake inside. There should be a square cut o-ring between the trans case and the adapter to seal that side, and a gasket sealing the adapter to the transfer case. Once the output shaft goes in the transfer case, that should complete the seal. The units do not share fluid. The white gel may be grease on the trans output shaft?
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
myersjeremy

Any experts? Trying to make all this stuff make sense in my head. The transfer case is simple......it works or it doesnt work.....right? It is chain driven.....no pressure involved. That would not be my problem of losing movement? The only reason it would be involved would be if my tranny was pushing fluid into the transfer case, which I don't think is happening now. The transmission fluid in the transfer case looked good and fresh. In the transmission it looked a whole heck of alot worse. It still makes no sense why it will all of a sudden stop pulling and you check the fluid and it is really low and you can let it sit and it is back to the normal marks and will pull again.
myersjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
spudz

This is what most likly is happening... When your transmission is hot, the fluid is thinner.. and most likely the thing is slipping... and it will get worse with the heat.. And casue the fluid to blow out of the vent... Thats why its low and thats why it stops pulling..... Its time for a rebuild... sucks but you can make some good improvments on it... Do you have a 700r4?? if so get z-pack clutch kit, beast reaction sun shell, corvette rear planetary,shift correction package, update kit, and a billet super servo..... Should be PLENTY for what your doing.. The z-pack clutches alone gives you 50 percent more contact area for your clutches.. they rule.. I did all this when I built the tranny in my 96 z-71. And it would catch second when I had worn out 38s on it.. Havent had a problem yet and I beat the crap outa it..

Last edited by spudz; 11-07-2007 at 09:39 AM.
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #5
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

If your trans fluid is low, that would explain the not pulling part. How long are you letting it set for it to come back up to the normal mark? When you check it after it sets, are you checking it running and hot? If you are checking it cold after it has been setting for a few hours, some of the fluid may be draining from the converter to the pan, giving you a false, higher reading. Low fluid will make the trans shift really erratically, or not pull at all.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote