The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2002, 11:46 PM   #1
racedvl
Account Suspended

Unhappy Emmisions help please. . . .

Well, here is the low down. I have my 86 GMC. It has a 305, and headers. Also, my truck used to be a 4.3L. Well, I bought 2 universal cats, and 2 turbo mufflers. Should be cool, right? WRONG. It is against the law to run a true dual exhaust on a vechile that was only a single, becuase of the cat situation. If the truck only had one cat, you can't have 2. None of the shops around here will touch it. Now, one guy would do it "after hours" for a reasonable fee, but my problem is if it would have to go in for emmisions, and they fail it for it, I will have to get another system put on it. Have to pay for it twice. Now they will also be willing to make a "Y" pipe after the headders, and make it a single system. But to do so, it's a little expensive. Or should I get factory manifolds and get a factory system? Also, it is technecly against the law to have a v8 in place of a v6, but they are pretty leanlent about that, at least they were with my 69. As long as the v8 passes the 6 cylinder specs. Should I get the duals, and take the chance? Should i get some $$$ together and have them make a "y" pipe and run a single system? I feel as if i am between a rock and a hard place. Any ideas? Thanks. BTW, I live in IL.
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 12:13 AM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I feel your pain. I tried my best to get someone to let me run true dual exhaust, but as you have said, it must be the way it came from the factory, i.e. with a y-pipe and single cat. After the cat, I can do anything I want. They are real strict in my state/county and go by the book to the letter. Reason is because of the money they make off this stuff. It's 30 bucks now for a inspection and I think the state gets around 10 of it.

I can't tell you what to do because I'm not sure what is involved for you to pass and if you can get it done without much trouble. But, I played by the rules. Didn't have much choice, unless I wanted to change exhaust every year it came time for inspections.

I run Edelbrock TES headers, which have a y-pipe and the A.I.R. tubes. I run these into a single Random Technology 3" in/out cat. Every bit of emissions stuff on my truck works and is hooked up. My truck is far from stock, and passes the tests with flying colors.

I know some will chime in and say register it in another county where it will pass. This is not for me though. Besides, the counties around mine are going to emission tests in a year of so.

I know this isn't much help, but I don't have anything to tell you but do what you feel is best and less trouble.

If it were me, I'd go with a y-pipe and single cat and not worry about it. Believe me, it can be made to look good and flow good this way. As far as the engine swapping, from what I understand, it's legal to swap engines as long as the engine you are installing was an option in the truck. But, as my state does, they use your VIN to go by. So, the tests will need to pass what's legal for the old engine. Not a big deal, since they are fairly easy to pass, if the emissions stuff works. Personally, I don't think the inspectors really care what engine is in it, as long as it looks legal.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 03:34 PM   #3
TooMany2count
Who's in CHARGE??????????

1st thing is you "NEVER EVER" tell them you have a V8 in the truck cause they really dont want to know this as long as it passes. The exhaust I would question only because I have several friends who live here in ILL. also & they have duals on their trucks & they all have passed the test. what I would do is this, rather thank buy a dual exhaust if your worried about it, buy a CATBACK system that has a 3"exhaust ran through it w/headers & it will be emissions LEGAL & if you still worried about not passing just pull your PCV out of you valve cover & let it suck in some extra clean air & IT WILL PASS then, hope this helps...joe
Donate Blood,Plasma,Platelets & sign your DONORS CARD & SAVE a LIFE
TooMany2count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 05:39 PM   #4
low 84

i would get a dual in/dual out cat. that way your really only using one cat but its still pretty much dual exhaust you can take it to you two seperate mufflers after the cat.

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:13 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I doubt a dual in/dual out would be any better than a single 3" in/out. Besides, they probably won't let him do this anyway. If his state is like mine, they clearly say, it must be like it was from the factory. I'm afraid none of our trucks came with a dual in/out cat.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 09:15 PM   #6
racedvl
Account Suspended

The only trucks that came factory with a dual exhaust is deisels. Like said, to be "legal" it has to be like it was from the factory. Also, I know about the hush, hush on the v8, had to do that with the 69.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:14 AM   #7
GMCPaul

Thumbs up

Swervin's steering you right, snatch a set of headers with Y pipe, 1- 3" hi-flo cat, and single 3" to muffler with dual outlets. We run this exact set-up on our 1988 GMC with a Eldelbrock multi-port injection system and it lays us back in the seat nicely on acceleration, while maintaining a nice quite cab interior but with a real *****in sound out the rear.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 09:16 AM   #8
racedvl
Account Suspended

Hhhmmm... Well, I really don't need the 3" stuff. It's a tired 22 year old 305. Plus i already have the 2 1/4 " stuff already. 2 mufflers, and 2 cats. I dunno, I might just get the "y" pipe made, but $275?!? I only paid $500 for the truck!
Old 11-27-2002, 04:03 AM   #9
benwantland

Quote:
Originally posted by racedvl
I dunno, I might just get the "y" pipe made, but $275?!?
What is that $275 including? Everything, or just the y-pipe? Here is a cheap flowmaster y-pipe: http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...14&prmenbr=361 If you got one of those and could return your mufflers and cats, you could probably run a single 3" system cheaper than your dual 2.25" anyway.
benwantland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:43 PM   #10
SCOTI

Sometimes I just don't get the government. Case in point: My 78 elcamino w/tired 305. All original, all correct emission equipment. I added a single hi-flow cat & dual flowmaster exhaust because that's what was 'technically' correct. Fast forward: New 350, crane cam w/L-82 specs, 4-barrel holley emissions carb for L-82 vette, performer intake, + headers. I wanted to run a true dual exhaust w/cats (so I wouldn't be disabling the emission aspect)but it's technically illegal because of 2 cats. I decided that since 2 cats are illegal (it's not any more illegal than none at all & none at all is cheaper), I left them off & pieced together a 2.5" system. Comparing both emissions analysis from one year to the next, WITHOUT cats & with a 4-barrel & performance cam it RAN CLEANER than the stock 305 w/all correct equipment. Just like you, I want cleaner air but technically my combo was illegal even though it burned cleaner. I say stick the probe in the tailpipe to check for a clean burning engine & leave the hood shut. Just so you know, I wouldn't have driven it if it wasn't equal to or better than what was legally required. My 2 cents.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 09:34 PM   #11
racedvl
Account Suspended

Well, I already have all the parts to do the job. So going to a 3" is not really an option. Also, yes, $275 included everything. But... I only paid $500 for the truck, and is by no means something I'm gonna keep forever. I really want a 4x4, and I can't get that $275 back out of the truck, come time to sell it. I dunno what to do.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:32 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Jason...FED law says you can have a larger engine in there, as long as it was an angine available in that vehicle make/model when new. We all know a 305 was available in these trucks so it should be ok onless your local gov has added to the laws like Cali does.
While true, your pipes are not legal, I'd imagine once you fix them, you should be ok as long as the engine passes for 305 standards.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 05:44 PM   #13
racedvl
Account Suspended

Nah Andy, when I brought in my 69 for testing, I told the guy it had a V8, and he told me it was illegal! If it was a 6 cly, it has to be still a 6 cly, not a 8. I'm thinking of just getting the pipes done, I am tired of the exhaust dumping under my seat.