The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
rdkuffel

Cool Oil Spray - Help Please

1971 Chevy K10 with SBC 350.
Sorry for the longish post, but I wanted to write all the symptoms.
Yesterday, I started my truck after it had been sitting for 2 weeks. It ran very rough and wouldn't idle. I drove it anyway thinking it needed to warm up since it had been running great and smooth. Anyway, it left an oil slick on the road and oil had sprayed from the front of the engine and seemed to be more concentrated near the fuel pump. It looked like it could have come out from below the heads or possibly at the oil pan (which has a new gasket). It is hard to tell because it was blown around from the fan. It actually smelled of gas too. When I first started it, the oil pressure gauge did jump to high and then settled back a bit. I think it has been running high for a while, but figured it was the gauge. I let it sit for a couple of hours and then started it. It ran perfect again with no oil leaks or spray and this time the oil pressure gauge had normal readings which makes me think I had very high oil pressure. The dipstick read just slightly above full (1/16") which concerned me a bit. I took off the old fuel pump which tested fine but I installed a new fuel pump anyway and again, it ran great. The PCV valve was working fine and the breather was new too. Any ideas as to what may be going on??? Thanks!
rdkuffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
bk2life
Account Suspended

Re: Oil Spray - Help Please

no pics?

is it still doing it?
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Any chance you took out a bolt in the block near the fuel pump? There is a threaded hole in that location that goes into the oil passage for the pump. If that bolt is removed, oil will leak out there.

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
jaros44sr

Does the oil smell like gas?

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
rdkuffel

Hi, thanks for the help. It is not spraying oil any more. The bolt to help hold the rod for the fuel pump is in place. I would say yes, the oil does smell like gas and it appears thin to me...no antifreeze though. I can post pics tonight. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
jaros44sr

Time to change the oil and filter

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
rdkuffel

jaros44sr,
Yes, absolutely. Do you think the problem was the fuel pump? When I had the problem, the fuel filter was full and I noticed with the new fuel pump, the filter was not full, just a steady flow. I'm wondering if I should change out my oil pump, but I don't really want to if its not necessary.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkuffel View Post
jaros44sr,
Yes, absolutely. Do you think the problem was the fuel pump? When I had the problem, the fuel filter was full and I noticed with the new fuel pump, the filter was not full, just a steady flow. I'm wondering if I should change out my oil pump, but I don't really want to if its not necessary.
Sounds to me that fixed the problem with a new fuel pump. JMHO, but, the oil pump should be fine, you didnt run it that long with the gas/ oil mix. The spray couldve come past the timing cover seal at the crank snout, possibly the viscousity of oil was so thin that it got past the seal....just keep an eye on the area and see if it happens again. Then look further

Others will chime in if im incorrect

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 12-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
rdkuffel

Thanks again everyone; I'll keep a close eye on it and let you all know if anything changes or something else happens.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
rdkuffel

Well, I put a new fuel pump in and changed the oil. The oil definitely had gas in it. I also took apart the old fuel pump to see if there was any problem with it. It looked fine and the diaphragm had no tears or punctures. I started it and it ran great, but again, it is showing high oil pressure. Soooooo, I guess I'm gonna start doing some diagnostics....starting with a leak down test. I wonder if it has bad rings or something although I recently did a compression test and all the cylinders tested fine. If the rings are worn enough to allow fuel to get by, would it still fire??? It's not missing or anything. So weird...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
rdkuffel

I bought an oil pressure tester and connected it to the same small hydraulic line that the stock fuel pressure gauge is connected to. The oil pressure was right at 50 psi at idle. When I held the revs up the pressure only went up to about 53 psi. Very strange. Does anyone know if there is a better place to connect the tester or will this be accurate? I'm hoping it is not accurate, but my gut tells me it is...

I noticed today that my pcv valve had condensation on it and i'm wondering if maybe the valve had frozen closed the day I had oil spray everywhere. That would be weird though, because I don't think it was freezing out.

I'm about to just order a crate engine for Christmas! Oh wait, I'm broke as a joke.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
6772owner
Gearhead

I wonder if the fuel pump diaphragm failed and allowed gas to get in the oil? I have heard this happens occasionally, have you checked the oil level to see if is high and/or what the oil looks like? If you did get fuel in the oil I wouldnt run it without an oil change, the bearings will not last long with gasoline saturated oil...

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
nate_g_2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6772owner View Post
I wonder if the fuel pump diaphragm failed and allowed gas to get in the oil? I have heard this happens occasionally, have you checked the oil level to see if is high and/or what the oil looks like? If you did get fuel in the oil I wouldnt run it without an oil change, the bearings will not last long with gasoline saturated oil...
This is a good point. My dad (72 years old) mentioned this to me recently. It's something to check, just to be on the safe side.
2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCrew 2WD "The Daily Driver" SOLD
1995 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE "The Daily Driver"SOLD
2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2DSC 2WD Flareside "The Daily Driver/Project"SOLD
nate_g_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
6772owner
Gearhead

I guess my only flaw with this is that oil shouldnt really be leaking out from this type of failure... but I wonder if its really two problems or one caused the other? I would check the oil level/condition, degrease the engine and surrounding area's well and then see if you can pinpoint the leak source... I also missed the post where it sounds like you have already replaced the fuel pump, did that fix the problem(s)?

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #15
heathbirkendahl

I'm having this same issue! Next step fuel pump and oil change for me!!

Thank you for the post! Just saved my tail!! Or, should I say motor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #16
rdkuffel

Update: I did a leakdown test over the holidays and I found all cylinders tested around 20%. I think that should be okay. I replaced the pcv, the fuel pump. It runs great until I shut it down and restart, then it wants to lope...so Im thinking I need to check the fuel pressure now. Glad this post may have helped.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #17
rdkuffel

I just thought of something...I installed a new electronic choke and I wonder if I have it set to rich. Worth a check I guess.