The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
t300

help a new guy! (me)

Hi all, new guy here. Just sold my project car of the last 13 years and I'm shopping around for a 67-72 truck. I'd like some feedback on potential candidates and future mods. Not a lot of decent trucks left where I am but I have found a few diamonds in the rough so far.

Usage: it will be a summer shop truck (I live in canada, snow from Nov to April). I want to haul garbage, 4x8 foot sheets of metal, my quad, dirt, and pull the odd car hauler trailer, etc etc. May drive it in winter once in a while as well but we'll see. Probably drive it to work most days in summer.

Requirements so far: original paint with good patina, 8foot box.

Mods: I'm a turbo guy, I'd really like a turbo diesel swap eventually. cummins 6bt would be nice but pretty heavy, I'd settle with a mildly built up 4bt. Must be (eventually) automatic trans. Open to suggestions but no carbs. doesn't have to be fast, but it does need to have torque. I never intend to paint it, which is why I'm looking for a good patina.

Having said all that, due to box payload and hauling intentions, do I look for a 3/4 ton? Do I get a 1/2 ton and beef it up? Do I even need to? Should I go with airbags, and would coil spring rear suspension make that easier?

I have a pretty well equipped shop. hoist, welders (ac/dc tig, mig), small cnc mill, and just got a 4x8 CNC plasma table, pretty pumped about that. Last project car was modified from head to toe, did custom turbo setup, built and ran megasquirt efi. So I'm no stranger to fab work, but I am completely new to trucks, so if I could get some guidance from the group it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all
Matt
t300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Rusbuilt

Re: help a new guy! (me)

First off do you plan to lower the truck? If so parts are easier to find for a 1/2 ton. If you plan to pull a lot I would prob go with a 3/4 ton and look for a 71 or 72 so it already has disc brakes up front. If you do want to go with bags a rear coil spring truck will be easier to start with. Hope this helps with some of your questions
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
t300

thanks for the reply. Yes I do plan on lowering it, not that much as it will still be a 'work truck' of sorts. I won't pull a lot, a couple times a year a car hauler, other than that mostly a tent trailer or a aluminum 2place quad/sled trailer. And then whatever I have in the box (quad, dirt, etc).

So a 71/72 for the discs, and 1/2 ton if I am going with bags?
Old 03-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Rusbuilt

You will prob have better luck finding a 1/2 ton 71-72
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
t300

any other advice? I haven't pulled the trigger on a truck yet. Since I want the ability to tow moderate loads with it once in while, load the box up with metal sheet for our 4x8 cnc plasma table, the suspension is one of my top priorities. Not sure if I should go with a rear coil over truck, leafs? Do I bag it? Overload bags?

There are a few local trucks that may be good candidates, but want to start with the right base, whether it be 1/2 or 3/4 ton, coil or leafs, etc. I'm not too concerned about finding a newer truck with discs, as I can easily swap out for a newer front end.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Longhorn 70

Do you want a driver or have it be stock for collector reasons? I think if you find one closest to the end product you want, you'll save a lot of cash and time.

71-72 have disc front end. you could bag it and adjust your suspension to haul stuff around. I personally wouldn't do more than 5-800 lbs at a time with it bagged. That being said, 71-72 Chevy 1/2 ton is still the most desired older pickup for most.

I don't know the Canadian rules and regs about smog, fuel, or other rules about mods and safety equip.

Here's one http://duluth.craigslist.org/cto/3687600521.html

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9

Last edited by Longhorn 70; 04-03-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
t300

I want a driver, don't care about stock or collector. No concerns about emissions or anything here. Basically

- original paint/patina
- LWB
- able to pull a boat, car hauler, etc, once in a while
- able to throw a quad or some 4x8sheets of metal in the back
- would like to have a reasonably good ride
- will drive it quite a bit in summer. to work, on the weekends, to the lake, etc. probably won't drive in winter at all.

With a full bag setup I'm concerned about blowing a bag, or making a big compromise with respect to towing or payload. I hear what you are saying about getting the 'right' truck to start, thats why I am taking my time and haven't bought one yet. However this is a project for me and I don't want one complete - I want a project. Keeps me out of trouble

thanks for the feedback
Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
don t. - 72gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by t300 View Post
With a full bag setup I'm concerned about blowing a bag, or making a big compromise with respect to towing or payload.
JMHO....in your case, screw the bags.
Get a 3/4 ton w/leaf springs.
You should rarely, if ever, haffta worry about a payload problem.
FWIW....My 70 and 72 LWB, 3/4 with leafs haul 40 small square bales of alphalfa hay with ease.
I've hauled 50 bales in the bed, but then it did not clear my 10' barn doors.

Good luck....don t. ....
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
buckskins4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by don t. - 72gmc View Post
JMHO....in your case, screw the bags.
Get a 3/4 ton w/leaf springs.
You should rarely, if ever, haffta worry about a payload problem.
FWIW....My 70 and 72 LWB, 3/4 with leafs haul 40 small square bales of alphalfa hay with ease.
I've hauled 50 bales in the bed, but then it did not clear my 10' barn doors.

Good luck....don t. ....
I agree with don T on this. If you really intend on hauling a good payload I would seriously stick with a leaf spring setup.
Now with that being said, I am a full bagger guy, and use heavy duty oversized double convoluted bags all the way around. I would ever worry about a payload with these bags.....but hey: Im NEVER going to haul or pull anything with mine.
Good Luck on the search....Make sure to keep us posted when you find what you like.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
t300

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. I am leaning towards a 3/4ton with leafs, but am wondering if a 'overload bag' setup would be the ticket. I'll continue with research and looking for good project candidates. My 'project car' is getting picked up by the new owner in 2 weeks and I told myself I wouldn't buy the new project before the old one left the building

There is a 1969 920 that is 15 minutes away from me I'm going to go take a look at, may have some potential.

Matt
Old 04-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Start looking thru the classifieds section here to do price comparisonns and look for the "ONE".
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
mgkgmc

Here is a pretty original one by me looks like a half ton though. I know its far but its a good start maybe you can get it shipped. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3718919313.html
1989 Swb Silverado
1972 Aj's Stormer
mgkgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
yukon

Matt did you go look at that 69?
yukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
t300

Well I bought a 70 c10. thanks for all the advice guys. Not exactly what I was looking for, but if the 'perfect' candidate does come up, I'll buy it and sell the one I just picked up. Until then, I'll be working on this one

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post6042063