The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Just found out my 350 is a 305 :( What would you do?

So I took the heads down to the machine shop after pulling em. And the guy says, 305, eh? I say... no no no, 350. Im sure of it. And he pulls out the trusty ruler and shows me. He also says the heads have been worked on before.

I felt so heartbroken, the fricking liar that sold me this thing praised this motor up and down, telling me it was rebuilt by a nascar mechanic and such. God Im so mad.

But what would you do? Im not wasting any money on a 305, I have basically 2 choices. Clean up the block/heads and slap all new gaskets in there (that I have already ordered, except the head gasket is for a 350 ) and just drive it till it dies. Or I can get a crate motor since im really not too sure about what else he lied about in the motor. Now money is pretty tight with school and all, so the second choice is a little extreme.

I keep feeling so screwed over by this damned money pit. This breaking, that breaking. I mean, ive been feeding it fuel for a 350, no wonder the cylinders have so much crazy carbon buildup in em.

So... words of wisdom anyone?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
Army_Dude

Re: Just found out my 350 is a 305 :( What would you do?

Could be you have 305 heads on a 350. Don't lose it yet. Get a second opinion, looking at the actual motor.
Army_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Nope. 3.75 bore, 305 territory. I thought that too.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lf-
So I took the heads down to the machine shop after pulling em. And the guy says, 305, eh? I say... no no no, 350. Im sure of it. And he pulls out the trusty ruler and shows me. He also says the heads have been worked on before.

I felt so heartbroken, the fricking liar that sold me this thing praised this motor up and down, telling me it was rebuilt by a nascar mechanic and such. God Im so mad.

But what would you do? Im not wasting any money on a 305, I have basically 2 choices. Clean up the block/heads and slap all new gaskets in there (that I have already ordered, except the head gasket is for a 350 ) and just drive it till it dies. Or I can get a crate motor since im really not too sure about what else he lied about in the motor. Now money is pretty tight with school and all, so the second choice is a little extreme.

I keep feeling so screwed over by this damned money pit. This breaking, that breaking. I mean, ive been feeding it fuel for a 350, no wonder the cylinders have so much crazy carbon buildup in em.

So... words of wisdom anyone?
i say get a 350, when i bought my truck the guy said it had a 305 in it, well i spend about $1700-$1800 on parts for a 350 i got and when i installed the motor, i was looking at the casting numbers on the old one, wrote them down looked on mortec and it was a 350, that sucks that its a 305
Old 02-13-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
see ten
WTB this ad

Inches are everything! No seriously, you have to look at what's practical. Apparently you were happy when you thought it was a 350 (well maybe not too happy since you are going into it). If it was suiting your needs and you already have parts to fix it, put it back together. I know it sucks to find out a seller has fed you a line but hell that's how we learn. I guess next time a deal rolls around, if the inches are a deal breaker you will run the numbers before you roll out the cash. I have got burnt before. As long as we learn from these mistakes we are going to come out way ahead in the long run.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
Billla
Account Suspended

Dude, that sucks. Doesn't help, but I feel for ya.

I guess you have to decide how much money you have and what you want. Was there a particular horsepower range you were looking for, or do you just want to get an engine in your truck? I assume when you say crate motor you're talking about something from NAPA vs. a performance crate motor from GMPP or another vendor. Not sure this is really a very good buy either - it'll have 8.5:1 CR, etc.

I guess if I was sitting there on low bux I would use what I had, assuming you've already had the block and crank checked. Get a basic overhaul done on the heads, do a straight overhaul on the shortblock with some higher (9.5:1) CR pistons. Put on a decent intake/carb, cam, etc. and drive the thing. Realistically you could get maybe 275 - 290 HP at the flywheel, which really isn't all that bad. Another option is a 334/340 stroker using a 3.75 crank, but then you're into wierd bits and that gets expensive - quickly. When you're ready for your 350, all the top bits - intake, carb, etc. will all go across to the new motor.

I understand you're pissed, and I would be too but I think you're getting too hung up over 45 CID. A 350 is 104 CID short of a 454...so relax And a 283 used to be a pretty hot motor, and you've got (counting on fingers) 22 CID over that. I think you just need to go forward with what you've got. It's not what you want, but it'll be a good, reliable and somewhat fun engine that you can swap later when you have the $$$.

My $.02.

Last edited by Billla; 02-13-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:49 PM   #7
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

Just consider this as a lesson in your life. Then learn from it and go on. Arm yourself with all the information you can get your hands on when you are spending your hard earned money. It don't matter if it's a truck, or a coffee maker. A good place to have on your fav. list is www.chevymania.com. They list casting numbers for blocks, cranks, heads, intakes, among others. I have it printed and in a notebook with me at all times. I have went to buy more than one "my uncle Joe bought this LT-1 brand new I swear to God" only to have the numbers tell me it's a lo-po smog motor. As Billla said figure out how much money you can spend and do what you have to. This don't make it any better but we've all been there one time or another. Good luck.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #8
Russell
Professional Grade

I'd go for a good used 350. I just installed one into my truck for about 200 bucks. That included absolutely everything I needed to buy (seals, oil, coolant, etc) and the engine itself.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I'd go for a good used 350. I just installed one into my truck for about 200 bucks. That included absolutely everything I needed to buy (seals, oil, coolant, etc) and the engine itself.
You'd have to admit that this is a crapshoot - you have no idea what you're getting or how long it's going to last.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:59 PM   #10
Russell
Professional Grade

Unless you've driven the motor before you buy it, and are able to flog the snot outta it without it hiccuping
Old 02-13-2006, 11:12 PM   #11
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Unless you've driven the motor before you buy it, and are able to flog the snot outta it without it hiccuping
Umm...so if it doesn't break you buy it...having just flogged the snot out of it? Ahem

I don't have anything against used engines in general, but I still think it's a maybe thing. It's different if it's a late model - but an older 350 of unkown vintage....Hmmmm.

How long has it been since the swap and how many miles have you put on your engine since you got it?

I'm absolutely not disagreeing with you that a used engine is an option - but I really don't think it's a good choice for someone that's already getting nickel and dimed on maintenence.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:37 PM   #12
shade67

I've been down the cheap used motor route a couple of times before- nothing but heart ache and pain and usually a waste of good money! The best low buck option I've seen is the 350 good wrench crate motor at 1200.00 -you can't build one for that and iy comes with a real warrantee! It's been test run so you know it's gonna be good! with all the garbage motors i've bought and wasted money on and not been happy- not to mention my brother giving me grief about his spending less for a new engine I've learned the hard way cheap is an illusion spend a little more and save yourself some headaches!
If you don't want to spend big bucks glue the 305 back together obviously it was good enough before you found out it was short on cubes- but cammed right they'll treat you ok.... .35 worth?
72 chevy K10 swb
01 GMC Sierra
01 Pontiac Bonneville
shade67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:18 AM   #13
SSC's76
No No

Ok so you actually pulled the micrometer and measured the engines bore right? Were not just going off of the machines shops measurment of the chamber, which BTW will have no feasable real life value to the actual bore of the engine sitting in your truck.

A 305 isnt a bad engine it's just optimal for high performance useage. Go ahead and put your go fast parts on this engine and if and when it goes you will have all the parts needed to make a larger engine that much quicker.

"NASCAR MECHAINC" Honestly that should have been you first clue since NASCAr doesent employ any mechanics.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:50 AM   #14
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla
Umm...so if it doesn't break you buy it...having just flogged the snot out of it? Ahem

I don't have anything against used engines in general, but I still think it's a maybe thing. It's different if it's a late model - but an older 350 of unkown vintage....Hmmmm.

How long has it been since the swap and how many miles have you put on your engine since you got it?

I'm absolutely not disagreeing with you that a used engine is an option - but I really don't think it's a good choice for someone that's already getting nickel and dimed on maintenence.
Its an 86 1 ton 350 High Output engine -- Put it in a few weeks ago, but know the guy who was daily driving it before I helped him pull it, and stored it in my shop for about 3 weeks while he did a Turbo 6.2 swap Then bought it for 150 bucks, and went ahead and re-gasketed it, got a q-jet for it, and gave it a shot of paint.

Works flawlessly

When you think about it, buying a used engine is just the same as buying a used truck. It might blow up in a week, or it might last for years. You can never know.

But I certainly as heck would far rather spend 150 bucks on a few used 350s till I get a good one and just swap accessories around, than spend 1500 on an engine for a 350 dollar truck that I'll likely be selling in the summer anyways!

I'm a strapping young lad, and can get an engine swap done in an afternoon if I've got everything ready to go So, the choice for me is clear -- Bring on the used engines!
Old 02-14-2006, 02:11 AM   #15
Billla
Account Suspended

So I ran a straight overhauled 305 through the desktop dyno with a 9.5 CR, a mild cam and crappy heads. 276HP@4500 and 353TQ@3500 and a pretty nice looking curve that goes in the dumper at about 5000 or so. This really isn't so bad IMHO.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:10 PM   #16
Chevrolet4x4s

You could look for a nice shortblock 350 if your heads are good and go that route.That should be a real power house.You may find some one on the board who would help you find one at a decent price.
Shane

1985 K10 Silverado Vortec 406 5 speed (in body shop)
"I been drivin' this '85 pickup truck Them buddies of mine call it a bucket of rust She's a little beat up but she still runs like the wind Yeah, kinda like me I been banged and bruisedBeen around the block a time or two But I'm runnin' like new goin' places I never been
No, I ain't broke I'm just broken in"
1963 Dodge Townwagon(its amazng what 30 years and zero miles will do to a vehicle )
Member#20327
Chevrolet4x4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #17
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I am not sure what everyone else has experienced, BUT the 350 has a better power curve than the 305. I also have found that the 350 has a better set of heads. In the early to mid Eighties the 305 motors were prone to cracking between the valves and the cooling passages. I had the opportunity to do a few replacements at the County Highway Department, where I worked. I have successfully removed all signs of 305s from any trucks that I have owned and personally will not go back to them.

GM sells a replacement motor for your truck that is about $1500.00, sounds scary but it is worth it in the long run for longevity. These motors are good for 100,000 miles plus---can swear by them from my past. I understand the thoughts of this as you consider the joker that sold you the truck, but it is always "Buyer Beware" in this world. Good Luck on the rebuild or replacement.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:30 PM   #18
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Thanks for the quick support guys. Yes the 305 does do the job perfectly fine. Im pissed about being lied to about low miles and the CI, heads had been worked on before. And yes, all my parts I have now would go over to the 350 no problem. Headers, intake, dist, carb... Im thinking im just gonna clean it up and see what happens. I mean, seriously, I just drive it. I dont go fast whatsoever with the bags and all, so I guess it will do.

But im not dumping any money into those heads. Im scraping em, cleaning up what little I can of the ports and bolting em back on. I drive slow and low anyways. Im upset, but you guys are right, its a lesson.

I just want something reliable
Old 02-13-2006, 11:34 PM   #19
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

The time for a zz350 Crate!!
Old 02-13-2006, 11:34 PM   #20
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

The time for a zz350 Crate!!
Old 02-14-2006, 12:51 AM   #21
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Well sorrreeeey, haha. I dont follow Nascar. LOL

It does have a small RV cam in it though, that I am sure of. By the way the powerband pulls. I wasnt ever considering anything other than a Goodwrench crate.

I guess ill just start saving up for one and drive the 305 for now.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:51 AM   #22
DroppedZ84
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lf-
I wasnt ever considering anything other than a Goodwrench crate. I guess ill just start saving up for one and drive the 305 for now.
Hey man, you can get a copy of that motor at a local machine shop around here with a 4/40k warranty for $1200 out the door.
DroppedZ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:32 AM   #23
TEAM THC
CUSTOM CHEVY FIEND

Hey Man I Feel For You The Same Thing Happened To Me. I Bought My Truck. The Sticker On The Rad. Support Said 350,but My Vin Says 305
Looks Like The Truck Had A Fender Bender, And They Got A Junkyard Fender And Rad. Support Guess I Wont Know For Sure Untill I Replace The Motor. I'll Install A 350 Crate Motor When The Time Comes.

SEE PROJECT PICTURES AT CARDOMAIN.COM. SEARCH MEMBER ID TEAMTHC
TEAM THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #24
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

If you were happy with it before, clean it up and run it. Don't spend much money on anything unless it can be moved to the next engine. Save your money up for a 350 while driving it into the ground. That's what I did. I just took mine on its first drive last night with the new 350 crate engine.

Slonaker
Old 02-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #25
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The GM replacement motor will accept a cashaft upgrade quite easily and it will give a general 295 Hp output with it. Once you have bolted on the aluminum, intake and headers it will be a solid engine. Dollar for dollar, that is the cheapest way to get back on the road. I would only use a used engine if I rebuilt it myself. The OLD buying someone else's problem story, never called out to me.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote