The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
biohazardbill

Cluster wiring

This might should go in the electrical section however it is specific to these trucks so figured I would ask here. I have a 67 pickup that had a no guage cluster. I have since added gauges to this and now it is time to wire.

The new temp and oil gauges are electric, my question is can I use the factory wires that used to go to the dummy lights as the wires that now would be sending the signal? Ie can i take the wire from the old sensor, hook it to the new sensor then under the dash run that wire to the new gauge.

It may be a smiple question, just did not not know if the wires were of a resistance type like the coil wire where you have to change it out to power hei ignitions.

Thanks in advance.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Cluster wiring

Yes you can use those wires with the corresponding sending units. but the factory oil gauge used a tube. If you are useing an after market gas gauge you will need a matching sending unit, although some use the factory sender.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
biohazardbill

Re: Cluster wiring

Oil gauge uses a tube but the dummy light uses a wire. Same with temp. Those are the wires I want to use on aftermarket gauges. Fuel gauge is still stock.
Posted via Mobile Device
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote