The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
dwlambert1701

Trying to get her started help me

Ok this is what I got. 1963 Chevy C10 Stepside. 283 SB/TH350 Auto Trans.
Anyway I have completely rewired this Vehicle with a Jegs Universal Harness, Replace the old carb and intake with a new intake and Edelbrock carb. Replaced the single bowl master cylinder and install a dual bowl cylinder and replace all existing brake part and lines. New fuel tank, Sender, Lines and and pump. replaced the instrument panel and installed Autometer Gauges. New battery too. Now i'm trying to get it started. It's turning and turning trying to start but not starting up. It gets to the point that the battery cables are hot to the point that the Negative side is smoking and smoke comes from the Starter Solenoid and the solenoid is making a clicking sound. Yes I know the fuel pump is pumping fuel I install a Mr Gasket clear fuel filter and I came see fuel in it. I last time I tried it it started to sound like it was trying to fire up, but then I see smoke coming from the Solenoid and I don't want to burn it out. Anybody got any ideas and what to try
dwlambert1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
65c10restomod

Re: Trying to get her started help me

check compression and check firing order
65c10restomod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
AcampoDave

You got fuel but do you have spark?...is it timed right? Make sure by bringing motor to tdc and check the rotor position. Next verify the wires are set to the firing order. Place the rotor at #1 lock yer cap down and check for spark. If you got nothing work backward. Is there power to the points or coil. How bout the ballast resistor. Is the ignition hot lead still on the solenoid post like stock applications? Is it hot when you turn on the key?
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
dwlambert1701

I did have it set at TDC and I replaced the plugs and wires. Yes I have the Distrib cap set to the right order. I just tried to start it again a few moments ago and it was spittin and sputtering. I took the air cleaner off to see what if there anything I could see. there was some residue in the air cleaner from where it was sputtering. I just at a lose trying to figure this out. I can go and reset it back at TDC.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
losthope

first thing you need to do is take a test light and see if you have power to the pos+ side of the coil or Hei , when the key is in the run position and also when someone is holding the key in the cranking/start position.......if you have power in both key on and start position then move on to making sure the timing is right by setting the engine to "TDC" on the #1 cylinder and setting your distributor in with the rotor facing the #1 plug wire post on the cap (and setting your points if you have them) then make sure all your plug wires are on in the right order to each cylinder and in the right rotation of the rotor......if its just cranking and your not getting any type of rumble from the engine or backfire through the carb or tail pipes when your trying to start the truck even if the engine is out of time then you have no power to the hei/coil i bet....

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
losthope

Also if you have had a sbc engine sitting any length of time with out starting it , they are notorious for fouling spark plugs and resulting in not getting spark to the cylinders, clean or replace the spark plugs if its not a new motor....I found this out the hard way...when i bought my first 65 c10 It had a 350 in it(with newer spark plugs my friend replaced before he sold it to me) and i let it sit for 2 1/2 weeks without being started while i swapped in a new trans that it needed, engine ran when i brought it home, after i got the trans in the truck would not start ,used one of those see through spark plug testers so i thought the plugs had spark( they had spark to them but not into the cylinders).... had a couple buddys look at it no one could get it to start....said screw it bought a reman 350 put it in and used all the parts off the old engine ....new motor wouldnt start????? couldnt figure it out....finally went and bought new spark plugs, i made sure they were gapped right put them in and motor fired right up so basically i swapped in a new motor because of spark plugs(which i was happier in the long run knowing i had a new motor).......thats how i know about the spark plugs......talked to a couple ol' timers later in life and they confirmed sbc's fouling spark plugs from sitting...might be worth a check

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
Old 06-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Rufton

If you clear mr gasket fuel filter is the glass one w/ plastic nipples I would replace before proceeding.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
dwlambert1701

At RUFTON: Yes it is. Why if I may ask
Old 06-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
losthope

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlambert1701 View Post
At RUFTON: Yes it is. Why if I may ask

those clear fuel filters can be a fire hazard especially if they are the glass ones, if they become cracked or break from hitting something in the engine compartment they are ainstant fuel leak on a hot engine...best to get a metal unit...

1954 ford customline
Old 06-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
dwlambert1701

Yeah I don't want that. I will replace it ASAP
Old 06-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthope View Post
those clear fuel filters can be a fire hazard especially if they are the glass ones, if they become cracked or break from hitting something in the engine compartment they are ainstant fuel leak on a hot engine...best to get a metal unit...
That's right. I was careful w/ glass but mine started bleeding out plastic nipple threads. I'm satisfied w/ OEM semi clear plastic filters if mounted safely and changed every few years. Metal is likely safest.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
luvbowties

Smile Re: Trying to get her started help me

1-did it run ok before you did all that work in 1st post
2-what distrib. do u have--points-type or hei
3-reinforcing what others have said, timing set at TDC-mark is not sufficient. Cannot tell from your replies that u fully understand (hope this does not sound derogatory): must be at TDC mark "while #1 piston is at the top AND producing its compression".
Your answers to 1 and 2 will help forum members diagnose answers for you. Thanks for understanding my motives in #3.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
dwlambert1701

to LOSTHOPE: I did put new plugs in but it has been sitting for a few mouths since I put in. I will check that. Along with resetting the engine and distributor at TDC
Old 06-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
AcampoDave

Spittin and sputterin to me says timing, especcialy if any of that spittin is upward thru the carb.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
AcampoDave

When you bring it to tdc do you do the ol' pop of compression in the plug hole with a buddys finger covering it or are you using the balancer mark. Balancer can lie because it goes around twice for each revlolution of the firing order. Once at tdc and once at the top of the exhaust stroke

Last edited by AcampoDave; 06-01-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
dwlambert1701

that is what I'm going to do tomorrow is reset to TDC. I'll post the results tomorrow thanks everyone
Old 06-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Does your carb have a choke? Are you getting a full 12 volts to the coil and or distributor? Is it flooded out? Remember when you soak spark plugs in fuel they usually will not work really well. Sounds like compression possibly. Is it back firing through the carb? Have you tried starting fluid? Since its sputtering it
sounds like it could be majorly flooded with fuel.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
awbrown

you need to advance the timing ,it needs to be about 10-12 static / initial ,normally on first start up after a distributor is removed , I have someone else crank it so I can be under the hood and turn the distributor til the engine binds up a little then back it off get it running and set the timing with a light , while checking that the cetrifical and the vacuum can on the distributor work...
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #19
63burban4x4

I'd check or replace the distributor cap. if the spark is tracking around inside the cap it will act like the timing is off.
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #20
dwlambert1701

Good news after fixing the timing issue and tighten the flare nut going into the sending unit she fired right up.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #21
losthope

Awesome ! good to hear! always a good feeling hearing them run!

1954 ford customline
Old 06-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #22
AcampoDave

You know what they say,"Timing is everything" guess it applies here too. Glad you got it.