The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
macdodd

posi rear end

Ok,,,I've got a '69 c-10. I turned the driveshaft,,, 2 complete turns = 1 complete turn of the rear wheel. I would like to put in a posi rear end. Any suggestions on what or how to do it,,,,or what would be the cheapest way,,,other than welding,,,not going there,,LOL. Or if someone has done this,,,what parts or such did you use? Thanks,,,Bill
macdodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: posi rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdodd View Post
Ok,,,I've got a '69 c-10. I turned the driveshaft,,, 2 complete turns = 1 complete turn of the rear wheel. I would like to put in a posi rear end. Any suggestions on what or how to do it,,,,or what would be the cheapest way,,,other than welding,,,not going there,,LOL. Or if someone has done this,,,what parts or such did you use? Thanks,,,Bill
No welding. A differential has just 7 moving parts. To convert to a posi rear you will need a new carrier. If you want to keep your existing ring and pinion to preeserve the gear ratio you have you will need to purchase the correct one. One fits 2.76-3.42 ratios, the other fits 3.73 and higher. Purchase the center section and a full install kit containing bearings, crush sleeve, shims etc. Cost is about 550.00 fot the whole shootin match. Then get the Chassis Overhaul Manual for your truck. Complete instructions on this R&R job are in there. For a newbie it should take about 4 hours but after you've done one it takes about 45 minitues for the second.

The posi carrier is the thing in the center of the pic with those yellow springs that the ring gear is bolted to.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #3
macdodd

Hey,,,,great pics,,,,thanks alot,,,,I have a mechanic that is familar with it,,,I'll pass this along to him,,,,
macdodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #4
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdodd View Post
Hey,,,,great pics,,,,thanks alot,,,,I have a mechanic that is familar with it,,,I'll pass this along to him,,,,

If he's really a mechanic he won't need my pictures.
You seem anxious to spend money that you don't need to spend. Most guys with that mindset run out of money long before they run out of jobs on an old truck then someone else buys their project for 10 cents on the dollar.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote