The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2004, 12:58 AM   #1
kballan

LED taillights

Quite some time ago, there was talk about LED light boards to fit under the taillight lenses for our trucks. I'll post a pic of what I'm talking about. They don't make them (that I know of) for our trucks, but they have them for 60-66 and 67-72 trucks. They have a pigtail that plugs right in to the 1157 bulb style socket. I can't remember who it was, but they were saying that they could produce these in the near future. Anyone know about them?
Attached Images

ANY MAN CAN BUILD A TRUCK, BUT IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO CUT ONE UP!
kballan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:06 AM   #2
Destructo

I believe they did make a set for 73-87 trucks but apparently the way they lit up didn't work well so he was going to try something different.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Regular Cab 2wd 4-banger, 5 speed, Street Pack with 3.73 axle.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:08 AM   #3
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo
I believe they did make a set for 73-87 trucks but apparently the way they lit up didn't work well so he was going to try something different.
they didnt work, and he told a bunch of people that they would be ready by a certain date. then doesnt respond to his post when he was asked where the finished product was. something tells me it was BS all along.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 10:28 AM   #4
Grim Reaper

I am trying to get my power consumption down on my tow rig so I don't overload the 105 amp alternator. It pulls a Travel trailer with dual battereis that iit will need to charge on the road.

Anyway I am toying with a few ideas. The most practical seems to be to mount a common LED light from a truck into the existing housing. I just haven't had time to do this yet.
something like this.
http://www.buytruckstuff.com/product...=34&p_gpID=171
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
kballan

I took a look at those under your link, but the measurements would be a bit too long for the taillight housing. The measurements they gave for the light you posted was 5.25 in x 3.37 in. According to my measurements, the 3.37 inches would work, but the 5.25 is a bit too long. I came up with about 4.25 inches for length. Unless there's a way to compensate for the length. You could probably cut down the taillight housing, but then it would interfere with the reverse lights. Let us know what you come up with. I can look for other lights close to the measurements as well. It shouldn't be that hard to hook up the wiring for it to fit.

ANY MAN CAN BUILD A TRUCK, BUT IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO CUT ONE UP!
kballan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:04 PM   #6
Grim Reaper

there is room up in the fender to it to extend past the top of the lens. The face has to be square to the back for best visibility. LED's do not have good side visability so it would have to sit into the fender a little.

The other option is the 4 inch round but you might have dark spots on the corners is why I am lookin at the square style.

Other option is mount them in the roll pan and fill the factory holes.

Guy at CK% managed to put a set of Toyota tail lights into a K5.
Gives you some ideas as to other ways to do things. French in a st of Caddy LED's maybe.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:30 PM   #7
PHOENIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FaastC10
they didnt work, and he told a bunch of people that they would be ready by a certain date. then doesnt respond to his post when he was asked where the finished product was. something tells me it was BS all along.

Are you talking about they guy who has been making and selling the LED light kits for the 67-72's? I know a few of those guys were very happy with the kits they bought. Then he started working on 73-87 kits and finally finished them but they were too pricy for me. Did anyone end up buying from the guy on this board that made them? Is that who we are talking about?
Old 06-04-2004, 03:50 PM   #8
useRc10

I have the ones made for the '72s and am very happy with them...i think whathappened with the '73+ was they didnt come out as well as he hoped...i think he was trying to get a better product to match what he has done with 67-72

-Nick
-dads '70 burb (red, 5-7 drop, 350...)

www.geocities.com/userc10/truckhome.html
AIM: Auntjoedadda
useRc10 is offline   Reply With Quote