The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
MistaGavin

First Ticket in the 70...

Well guys I got my first speeding ticket of my life in the 70 (I'm 19). He said I was going about 67 in the 55 when I came over the hill. My radar went off about the same time I saw the unmarked black crown vic come into sight. By that time he had his lights on while he was still coming towards me. He was nice and marked it down to 63 which dropped the fine and points, but do you guys think I should still go to court? The fine isn't bad, it's the raised insurance i'm worried about.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
yob2kanobe

Re: First Ticket in the 70...

Go to court and tell em the 40 year old speedo wasnt reading correctly
Old 08-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
MistaGavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yob2kanobe View Post
Go to court and tell em the 40 year old speedo wasnt reading correctly
This is what my 60 year old father suggested, but then they might want proof from a shop that it gets fixed. Regardless, if the Troopers radar/laser went off and it said 67, I guess I can't say it's wrong. It was very considerate of him to knock it down 4mph to save me a couple points and a chunk of change. In other words, I know I was speeding but the (ridiculously, perhaps) increased insurance rates might come back to me. Really the only true explanation I have is I didn't think I was speeding, I am just getting used to driving the 40 year old rig after driving my newer f-150 for a few years. In fact after I saw the radar go off, I didn't think much of it, and didn't bother to slam the brakes (might have been suspicious this way anyhow), it was only when he turned his lights on 60 feet in front of me that I realized I broke the limit. This was a good lesson. Not saying I won't speed anymore, but I will speed less, and have a better idea when it is safe to do so

wwtor, the main reason I have my radar detector is probably because it reads out the voltage very accurately and it has a pretty handy compass. And if your wife is getting paid to go to work to do her job, don't see where the problem is-I am a citizen and I have the right to trial. Says so on the ticket!

After doing quite a bit of research and talking to a few people it seems like the best idea is go to court, even if it means nothing happens. I can't really lose anything and will gain experience with the law at the least. It's worth the shot that the Trooper might not show, or the judge will give me an alternative break on the 2 points. After all, it might pay off for a broke college kid with more time than money. At the least I will call to see if any alternatives are available besides court or suck it up and pay.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaGavin View Post
This is what my 60 year old father suggested, but then they might want proof from a shop that it gets fixed. Regardless, if the Troopers radar/laser went off and it said 67, I guess I can't say it's wrong. It was very considerate of him to knock it down 4mph to save me a couple points and a chunk of change. In other words, I know I was speeding but the (ridiculously, perhaps) increased insurance rates might come back to me. Really the only true explanation I have is I didn't think I was speeding, I am just getting used to driving the 40 year old rig after driving my newer f-150 for a few years. In fact after I saw the radar go off, I didn't think much of it, and didn't bother to slam the brakes (might have been suspicious this way anyhow), it was only when he turned his lights on 60 feet in front of me that I realized I broke the limit. This was a good lesson. Not saying I won't speed anymore, but I will speed less, and have a better idea when it is safe to do so

wwtor, the main reason I have my radar detector is probably because it reads out the voltage very accurately and it has a pretty handy compass. And if your wife is getting paid to go to work to do her job, don't see where the problem is-I am a citizen and I have the right to trial. Says so on the ticket!

After doing quite a bit of research and talking to a few people it seems like the best idea is go to court, even if it means nothing happens. I can't really lose anything and will gain experience with the law at the least. It's worth the shot that the Trooper might not show, or the judge will give me an alternative break on the 2 points. After all, it might pay off for a broke college kid with more time than money. At the least I will call to see if any alternatives are available besides court or suck it up and pay.
And you've just proved my whole point.
You Sped.
You broke the law.
You were cited.
You don't deny you were speeding......
but your still looking for "Technicalities" to get out of your own mess,
that NO ONE got you into, except yourself.

Your not "owning it", and you STILL don't get the point!
If you WERE "owning it", you'd pay the Ticket/Fine and tuck it under your Belt as a "Life Experience" and LEARN FROM IT!

I can only hope the Officer shows up, the Judge doesnt let you off,
and you waste your Time/Money.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 08-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
ll____b0t____ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post
And you've just proved my whole point.
You Sped.
You broke the law.
You were cited.
You don't deny you were speeding......
but your still looking for "Technicalities" to get out of your own mess,
that NO ONE got you into, except yourself.

Your not "owning it", and you STILL don't get the point!
If you WERE "owning it", you'd pay the Ticket/Fine and tuck it under your Belt as a "Life Experience" and LEARN FROM IT!

I can only hope the Officer shows up, the Judge doesnt let you off,
and you waste your Time/Money

Thats a litle bit excesive there dont you think?
I understand your wife is in law inforcemeant and even understand you dont agree with the young man but your calling down evil on him .

How would you like it if because some people dont like law inforcemeant they started telling you they hope your wife gets shot on duty and the bullet missed the vest knicked an artery and shell always have a wierd look on her face from a neralogical disorder left behind from treatmeant?

Just because you dont agree with the young man 19 years old thats still a child, doesnt mean you should wish him ill or that life teaches him your idea of a lesson.

Not only that but he was going mildly over the speed limit and no one else was involved so it was a victomless crime.
Oh wait there was a victom , him , he was the victom of entrappmeant by law inforcemeant who dont even abide by the same laws they enforce.

Im going to leave it there before I say something Ill really regret but why not keep your wishes of bad things to your own family and stop calling down evil on others.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll____b0t____ll View Post
Thats a litle bit excesive there dont you think?
I understand your wife is in law inforcemeant and even understand you dont agree with the young man but your calling down evil on him .

How would you like it if because some people dont like law inforcemeant they started telling you they hope your wife gets shot on duty and the bullet missed the vest knicked an artery and shell always have a wierd look on her face from a neralogical disorder left behind from treatmeant?

Just because you dont agree with the young man 19 years old thats still a child, doesnt mean you should wish him ill or that life teaches him your idea of a lesson.

Not only that but he was going mildly over the speed limit and no one else was involved so it was a victomless crime.
Oh wait there was a victom , him , he was the victom of entrappmeant by law inforcemeant who dont even abide by the same laws they enforce.

Im going to leave it there before I say something Ill really regret but why not keep your wishes of bad things to your own family and stop calling down evil on others.
There was no "evil wishes".
My only wish was for the Court System to work the way it's supposed to.

My point was , there was an infeaction.
The individual admitted he broke the law.
Your reasoning of "Not only that but he was going mildly over the speed limit and no one else was involved so it was a victomless crime".
Is akin to saying "I robbed a Bank...but I only shot one person".

Your statement of ..."Oh wait there was a victom , him , he was the victom of entrappmeant by law inforcemeant who dont even abide by the same laws they enforce".
That is a clear indication you, have your OWN "issues" with Law Enforcment."If that's the case (which it clearly is), then that could be saved for another post.

Now THIS..."How would you like it if because some people dont like law inforcemeant they started telling you they hope your wife gets shot on duty<BR> and the bullet missed the vest knicked an artery and shell always have a wierd look on her face from a neralogical disorder left behind from treatmeant"?
THAT statement is just plain demonizing, and beyond the scope of a rational person, and YOUR the one saying I'm posting "Evil Wishes"??!!

Your ending statement of: "Im going to leave it there before I say something Ill really regret"....

I think you already acheived that in you "Bullet Statement".

I have to say that in my 7 years on this Forum, I have NEVER seen someone like you(ll____b0t____ll;4845663),
express such Disdain for an individual/Human Life,
that protects the very Freedoms that allow you and yours to sleep safely at night.

I seriously hope the Mods take a hard look at the unfortunate,
"Turn" this thread has taken, by your one post!
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 08-15-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
ItsRandy

In California (where I live) if you aren't going at least 10mph over the speed limit you're getting run over by the other cars on the road. This is just a speeding ticket. It's not like this guy held up a gas station, killed the clerk and is now trying to beat the charge through some sort of loop hole or with a slick lawyer. He is just trying to minimize the damage his mistake could cause. Have you ever broken a traffic law? Of course you have. Have you ever seen a police officer break a traffic law? Of course you have, they do it all the time. If they break a traffic law in their personal car and get pulled over, they flip out their badge and drive away without getting a ticket.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
69heavychevy

Good for you...you never know what can happen and its a good learning experience. I remember the first ticket I got was for having windshield washer nozzles with a red light on them on my 240sx(violated emergency vehicle lighting laws). The fine was almost $300!!! Went to court and all they way to trial. Of course I lost, but during the trial I learned...you can have lighted nozzles as long as they're not red, you can have any other color including blue as long as its stationary, how trial proceedings take place, but most importantly my fine was only $110 including court cost! Court cost were $99 alone and the judge said that with a guilty verdict by law he had to asses a minimum fine of $10. Funny thing is the city prosecutor wasnt too happy about the outcome, but afterwards the assistant DA came over to my table and congratulated me on a well presented case...anyways!! moral of the story is if you are going to fight it do your research. Like the DA told me, judges absolutely hate litigants who are unprepared...one important thing to consider is the fact that many cities are cash strapped these days and might not be so lenient as before and might try to stick it to you...either way good luck and let us know the outcome and next time speed responsibly like everyone else
Old 08-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

pay the fine

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
Old 08-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
AirSpeed

Pay the fine and go to your room without dinner!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
Fldawg

You Have to think were you speeding, if so pay the fine and go on , don't waste your time in court
Old 08-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
69heavychevy

Absolutely go to court, ask the judge if theres anything you can do to keep it off your record i.e. deferred adjudication or defensive driving, or even get a reduced fine as well. You'll still have to pay the fine but your driving record stays clean.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
WestButteTruck
Kung Fu Master

Been in your shoes, I gave up my license for 60 days and paid the fine. Giving up my license allowed it to not go on my record.......I had just got my license too! Life lesson I guess. I speed on occasion and hope I don't get caught. It's a choice and a chance we take. I don't take much stock on those radar detectors though.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #14
gotchamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69heavychevy View Post
Absolutely go to court, ask the judge if theres anything you can do to keep it off your record i.e. deferred adjudication or defensive driving, or even get a reduced fine as well. You'll still have to pay the fine but your driving record stays clean.
Good advise.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaGavin View Post
Well guys I got my first speeding ticket of my life in the 70 (I'm 19). He said I was going about 67 in the 55 when I came over the hill. My radar went off about the same time I saw the unmarked black crown vic come into sight. By that time he had his lights on while he was still coming towards me. He was nice and marked it down to 63 which dropped the fine and points, but do you guys think I should still go to court? The fine isn't bad, it's the raised insurance i'm worried about.

Tough Love Alert here.

Obviously you have a Lead Foot, or you wouldn't have a Radar Detector in your Vehicle.
The fact that the Officer wrote you up for 63 instead of 67,
consider yourself lucky.
Why would you go to Court to fight it, you were speeding....correct?
It seems to me, you did wrong and now are just trying to get out of the Ticket, so you wont have "Raised Ins Rates".
Probably should have thought about that, BEFORE this incident.

Usual rule of thumb is if your going 9 MPH (or under) the posted speed limit, then its pretty much "Rule of the Law...vs...Letter of The Law".
Anything OVER that, and it's pretty hard for the Officer to
"Look The Other Way".
I suggest you "Belly Up To The Bar", and take your Medicine.
You were speeding and that's against the Law.
Suck it up.

Maybe I'm partial because I have a Spouse that's been in L.E. for over 15 years, so I hear a lot of this.
That's why Police Departments, have there Radar Guns Calibrated Regularly, and their officers (most of the Time) are trained in "Visual Speed Detection", so even if there WASN'T a Radar Gun involved, if the Officer has gone to training in Visually Detecting your speed, then their Testimony is just as good as a Radar Gun.

Understand that my post here is not to attack you, but to take responsibility for your own actions.
(Lecture off)

ADENDUM: and if you go to Court, the Officer has to go to testify.
Even though they get paid a goodly ammount for it, it DOES take time out of their day.
My Spouse works 12 Hours shifts and the LAST thing they want to do is to show up in Court because YOU don't want your Insurance Rates to go up.
The Officer could be home sleeping, and getting that much needed rest, before they go back in and make those streets you Speed on, Safe.

Back in 1975 I got my 1st Ticket EVER.
It was for "Engaging In A Speed Contest" while Cruising on a Friday Night.
I went to Court and requested Traffic School.
(After all this was my FIRST ticket).
The Judge looked at me and said....
"Son you better get a Lawyer because this is worse than Drunk Driving"!
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by wwotr; 08-14-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #16
Boog
laying low

You can pay the ticket or you can go to court and pay the ticket plus court costs.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Old 08-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #17
CParnell

If I get a ticket I always go to court to see if I can get the demerits taken off. I'm happy to pay the ticket, I'm usually guilty........... I usually have a good chat with the officer on the side of the road, no hard feelings.

1974 Olds Cutlass
Old 08-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #18
rsavage

In New York State, you send in your ticket with a plea of guilty or not guilty. If you choose not guilty, you more than likely will get to talk to the Town or municipality's prosecutor before seeing a Judge. You can ask the proscecutor if you can go to an safe driving school (usually an all day Saturday gig) and get the speeding reduced to a non-moving (no points) infraction. After completing the school you return to court and you pay a fine for a parking ticket for example. I don't know what the process is in Alaska, but there may be a similar way for you to mitigate the damage to your insurance rates that points cause. Call the court and talk to the court clerk. Ask what you can do to get it reduced. The advantage in New York State for Towns to reduce tickets and use traffic school is that they get to keep all the revenue from say a parking ticket - they only get a part of a speeding ticket fine as the bulk goes to the state. Perhaps Alaska is the same? Good luck and slow it down.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
Old 08-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #19
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I am a hard xxx when it comes to this. When my daughter got her ticket I did not give her the option to try and opt out for traffic school. She made a choice, accept the consequences for making a less than good choice.

Oh, I have had my share on and off over the years too, so I make dumb moves too.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #20
70cst

Interesting replies...all points are worth evaluating

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #21
big_al_71

Pay the ticket and slow down
Posted via Mobile Device

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
Old 08-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #22
MusicMan70

I've got a wet noodle with your name on it...traffic school?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #23
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

dont want this cop after ya
Attached Images

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
Old 08-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #24
rpmerf

Around here we have 'guilty with explanation.' Basically go in, give them an excuse for speeding, they drop the points, your on probation for 6 months, and the fine goes up due to court costs. As long as you don't get any other tickets for 6 months, the points get dropped.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #25
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Pay the fine and move on...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
Closed Thread