The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
StingRay

HO72 vs 14 bolt question

My 69 C30 has a 14 bolt that the PO put in. He used the brakes from the original HO72 and repositioned the flanges to do it. I have to swap some brake parts from an HO72 I have and was wondering if the socket for the axle nut on the 14 bolt will work on the Eaton before I start tearing into it? I know the HO52drums are like hens teeth are the HO72 dually's drums hard to find too?
Old 04-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: HO72 vs 14 bolt question

I'm not sure,off hand,on the socket size. But,that's so backwards to do it that way. Must have been one cheap S.O.S. Common sense with a slight glance into the future would dictate the 14-bolt brake parts will be far more available. In fact,I advised a guy with a '72 rollback who needed rear brakes on his truck yesterday to give a shot at making 14-bolt brakes work. He called me back the next day and reported "done deal". I don't know,as of currently,if parts are available.But a few years ago I know parts were. My wrecker has new brakes.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
StingRay

Re: HO72 vs 14 bolt question

Well as luck would have it the socket was the same. Even better the drum, shoes and cylinder I got were very usable. Not perfect by any stretch but very good. When replacing a brake line the threads tore out of the cylinder on my truck. When I got the drum off it was pretty ugly. I swapped the whole backing plate and drum from the donor onto my axle and hub. I'm hoping the other side on the donor is good too as when I get into the other side I'm expecting to find as big a mess. I figure at some point I'll be switching it back to 14 bolt brakes. I'll probably have to reposition the flange though as this was originally from a single wheel truck and it looks like it still has the shallow single hubs on it. I can't imaging the spacing will work with anything I find. That's a project for another day.