The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
no_rice

whats needed to pull steering wheel on 67

does anyone know off hand whats needed to pull the steering wheel on a 67? i may have the opportunity to pull some parts off of one that is close enough to matching the aqua green interior of my 70. the wheel seems to be in good shape(although the grip is wrapped in an old cover so i cant see that currently) those wheels seem to hold up much better then the later versions though.

also, does the horn button just pop off or? i realize ill have to get that off and and take the large nut in the center off(size?) will i need a puller(which i dont have) or do they tend to come off fairly easy?

im trying to save myself some hassle and just bring along any tools i should need.

anything else you guys would grab off of a fairly plane jane 67?
no_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: whats needed to pull steering wheel on 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_rice View Post
does anyone know off hand whats needed to pull the steering wheel on a 67? i may have the opportunity to pull some parts off of one that is close enough to matching the aqua green interior of my 70. the wheel seems to be in good shape(although the grip is wrapped in an old cover so i cant see that currently) those wheels seem to hold up much better then the later versions though.

also, does the horn button just pop off or? i realize ill have to get that off and and take the large nut in the center off(size?) will i need a puller(which i dont have) or do they tend to come off fairly easy?

im trying to save myself some hassle and just bring along any tools i should need.

anything else you guys would grab off of a fairly plane jane 67?

The horn button just pulls off and the nut is 3/4". Yes, you will need a puller. You can probably rent one at one of the local auto parts stores. Sometimes they will just loan them if you leave a deposit. I save EVERYTHING...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
no_rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
The horn button just pulls off and the nut is 3/4". Yes, you will need a puller. You can probably rent one at one of the local auto parts stores. Sometimes they will just loan them if you leave a deposit. I save EVERYTHING...

LockDoc
thanks Leon, i figured id need a puller, most seem to. id like to grab the whole truck and strip more off of it, but i dont have the room to store things like you do! its not going anywhere though so maybe i can come back later and get more. or talk them out of the whole truck.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post

LockDoc
Are you sure a puller is all that's needed? I bent the he!! out of 7 pullers that I got from various part stores. I've sprayed the steering wheel with all kinds of stuff to break it loose and hit with large sledge hammers. I also drove the truck on and off road for 3 yrs without the nut on just hoping the steering wheel would pop off. It never did.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
Are you sure a puller is all that's needed? I bent the he!! out of 7 pullers that I got from various part stores. I've sprayed the steering wheel with all kinds of stuff to break it loose and hit with large sledge hammers. I also drove the truck on and off road for 3 yrs without the nut on just hoping the steering wheel would pop off. It never did.
sounds like you need an old guy that knows to show you the proper way to use a puller
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
kcsa75

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwf2...magePerPage=18

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsa75 View Post
I tried it that way as well. No luck.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
BMERDOC

It is possible to loosen the nut and back it out to the top of the threads, wrap your arm around the wheel and tug while you smack the nut with a hammer and it'll pop off. You could also prop your knees between the wheel and dash and do the same thing. Rarely have I had to use a puller.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
I have had good luck with the pullers. You can't get in a hurry, you have to snug up the puller then tap it with a hammer, snug , tap, snug, tap. You can't just tighten it up as tight as you can get it then beat the crap out of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
It is possible to loosen the nut and back it out to the top of the threads, wrap your arm around the wheel and tug while you smack the nut with a hammer and it'll pop off. You could also prop your knees between the wheel and dash and do the same thing. Rarely have I had to use a puller.
I have used that method too. I have also braced my feet against the floor and pulled on the wheel, pulling side to side but it doesn't work well on the '67 wheels because they are thinner and break easily. They are usually pretty brittle with age.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
veedubshafer
Account Suspended

My '67 came off easily with the above puller.
veedubshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
stexag

Don't be me.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=579651
stexag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Use the puller. While the tug and hit method usually works, there's no reason to stress out the steering wheel and risk adding cracks to it.

You're also gonna need a number 2 Phillips screwdriver.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #13
71swb4x4

I always leave the nut on a half turn until the wheel is loose. Well not always, I didn't do it once and after the steering wheel hit me in the nose I decided it was a good idea to leave that nut on until I had the steering wheel loose.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #14
no_rice

lol, id much prefer to use the puller, instead of punch myself in the face. my nose has been broken to many times already!

it has the 67 side trim(most of it, but not sure on all of its condition) and i really keep thinking of putting that on my 70...