The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
Wicked Sensation

Front Shock Suggestions

Alright guys its been a few years since I have posted here. I am starting to work on my truck again, and have the front suspension apart now. What I need is some front shock suggestions. My truck is a 76 stepside. I'm not sure of the drop, but it is in the neighborhood of 5"/7". It has drop spindles and springs. So, what are you running for front shocks now adays? Part numbers are welcomed... TIA
67 F100 352/3 speed
72 Nova 307- 30,000 original miles
Wicked Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:19 AM   #2
Zilverado
Account Suspended

My truck is not lowered, but I just installed “Monroe Sensi-trac” shocks a couple of years ago. The existing ones were pretty worn. I have not had the shocks that long, but they seem pretty good – far better than what was there.

I went for Monroe because they are a recognizable brand name and reasonably affordable. Not too much more going into that decision...

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
MM in NM

If you're anything like me, I keep my trucks forever. Go to Sears and get their preminum lifetime gaurantee shocks. I'm on my third pair (after almost 20 years) on my 76 K20 and about to get the second free pair on my 79 C20.

Show them what you have, or what you need since you're dropped, and they'll fix you right up.

Unless you're racing or have some other special needs any quality shock is about as good as any other,, at least I can't tell the difference running on the street.

Never had a problem with Sears. Bring in my nasty looking old shocks and they just give me a new pair whenever I feel the need..
MM in NM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM in NM
If you're anything like me, I keep my trucks forever. Go to Sears and get their preminum lifetime gaurantee shocks. I'm on my third pair (after almost 20 years) on my 76 K20 and about to get the second free pair on my 79 C20.

Show them what you have, or what you need since you're dropped, and they'll fix you right up.

Unless you're racing or have some other special needs any quality shock is about as good as any other,, at least I can't tell the difference running on the street.

Never had a problem with Sears. Bring in my nasty looking old shocks and they just give me a new pair whenever I feel the need..
Sears used to use brand name shocks (from Maremont) years ago. They were the same thing as Monroes.

For my 74, I used off the shelf front Gabriel VST gas shocks. They ride decent & have worked well so far even w/my amt of drop. I did add upper shock relocators to optimize the travel length.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
laynlow77

can you either send me pics of those upper shock relocators or tell me how you did them? i really need to do something like that to mine!
laynlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:12 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlow77
can you either send me pics of those upper shock relocators or tell me how you did them? i really need to do something like that to mine!
They're pretty simple. Here's basically what I used (the pic is from AirRides catalog in their brackets section). I think they go for $10 each from AirRide but I made mine from 2" square thick-wall tubing. I cut the basic shape & measured/drilled the holes for the bolts. I drilled a hole higher up on the frame rail than the stock shock location & bolted them in. They've been on there for 3yrs now w/o any problems. I gained about 2" of travel.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-30-2005 at 10:13 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:31 PM   #7
laynlow77

you wouldnt happen to have i picture of yours would you? im having trouble seeing it!
laynlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote