The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
scottveazie

TBI Conversion for a 283

Thinking of putting TBI on my '65 283 that has a quadrajet intake. The TBI setup I'm looking at is off a 4.3L Chevy V6, would that one work? I was thinking it might since it's roughly the same displacement as my 283 (4.7 I believe)
scottveazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Re: TBI Conversion for a 283

I have installed the holley pro jection units but never tried to use factory stuff. I recall the t/b units being about the same size for the 4.3 and 5.0 , would look at one of the companys that make a harness and see what is offered for that. you may find a complete bolt on kit easier, and less hassle. I know that I have seen complete 4.3 in custom apps, and they had after market harness attached to them.

tons of info out there but these where a few I looked at when I helped a buddy out doing a swap. We installed it into a sand rail but same thing you have to have the items to make it work no matter what you bolt it into. Good luck

http://persh.org/pickup/TBI%20Helps.htm

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/GMTBISwap.htm

http://www.automedia.com/TBI_Fuel_In...ht20001001fi/1
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
sigshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottveazie View Post
Thinking of putting TBI on my '65 283 that has a quadrajet intake. The TBI setup I'm looking at is off a 4.3L Chevy V6, would that one work? I was thinking it might since it's roughly the same displacement as my 283 (4.7 I believe)
What intake do you plan to use? you do realize the 4.3 V-6 in just that a 6 cylinder. The 283 is a V-8 with 8 cylinders. The Quadrajet intake will not work with the TBI it is a 2 bbl configuration unlike the 4 holes of a quadrajet
1964 long bed
1965 long bed Custom Cab, factory air, V-8, powerglide
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
chevyrestoguy

You'll need the V-8 TBI intake, but if memory serves me correct, all of the other stuff should work. One thing you might want to research: See if there is a different part# on the computer on the V-6 version versus the V-8 version. I'm not sure if the TBI requires a specific cylinder sequence. What I mean is, if the computer is figuring all of it's logic based on the number of cylinders. On TPI set-ups, it's critical, but on TBI (being that it's a throttle body) it might not be.

The TBI might work really well on your 283. Just don't go crazy on the cam. Keep the cam duration under 218 @ .050 and the lobe centers as wide as you can, or the MAP sensor will go nuts.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
scottveazie

Couldnt I run an adaptor plate like this to make the tbi bolt onto my quadrajet intake?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans-Dapt/969...ductId=1067206

I think an aftermarket harness would be best... It certainly would be the easiest.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
padresag

if this is the case, then why couldn't one just use the stock 2 barrel 283 manifold?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
Fastrucken

I honestly think you would be happier if you found a TPI setup instead. TBIs are known for being real restrictive. I wouldn't think a tune port setup would be much more than 200$ more.

How handy are you electrically? Able to solder? If so then I suggest running a Megasquirt for the computer. You'll be able to tune it yourself with a laptop. I would recommend a megasqirt 2 setup running megasquirt extra firmware.

There is a steep learning curve, but it’s a great community with lots of help.

It's what I am using for my 5.3 swap.

Graham
Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

I think it would be a great swap.

Doesn't sound like he wants/needs a TPI ...

Look into the electrical end, and you should be good.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
scottveazie

Well I did have a 2 barrel intake on there originally, but none of the adaptor plates would work for a rochester 2bbl to tbi. That was part of the reason I went to quadrajet, that and I wanted a better carb in the mean time. I'd love to do tpi, but I want that stock appearace, which I can hide under the aircleaner with tbi. Anybody know of a good source for aftermarket harnesses?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Fastrucken

I can appreciate your wanting to look stock. Looks like you have a basic understanding on what you need for the mechanical parts (it’s a good idea to stay away from the stock manifold).

I did a quick search and found this place.. http://www.speedscenewiring.com/ssw_...roducts_id=133
Looks like they sell you a wiring diagram and some technical assistance as well.

You should be able to find a stock harness and modify it pretty easily and shouldn't cost much at all.

And to get back to your original question will the setup from a 4.3 work? Yes it should. The throttle bodies are all the same unless you get one from a 454. There was different injector sizes but injectors from a 4.3 should be close in getting you enough fuel for your 283.

Graham
Old 01-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
Warrens69GMC

Fuel injection connection

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Throttle-bod...item1e6a458a82
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
scottveazie

Sounds like it might work out pretty well. I didn't want to change to the tbi manifold either because then I'd lose my oil filler neck. I guess I have this thing for wanting a stock look. I remember looking back before I was going to do this but didn't want to have to run a return line to the fuel tank. Wonder if there is a way around that....
Old 01-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
Fastrucken

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottveazie View Post
I remember looking back before I was going to do this but didn't want to have to run a return line to the fuel tank. Wonder if there is a way around that....
I don't think there is a way around not having a return line. I put an efi tank under the bed for my swap. This got the fuel tank out of the cab and allowed me to run an in tank pump (which is MUCH quieter).

Here is another site that helps sort the differences between the throttle bodies for you..

http://www.dynamicefi.com/TBI_Fueling.php

There is no doubt that TBIs can be modified for some moderate power it just takes a good bit of resources to do so, but you should be fine with your 283. When extra cfm is needed for performance reasons TBI may not be the most cost effective way to go. I am very much an EFI guy as my 5.3l swap shows but it's good to know the pros and cons of each system and work within those constraints.

If it matters I do have a good working knowledge of tbi setups. I had an 89 chevy 1500 and tried to make it work the best I could..

Graham
Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Arrow Re: TBI Conversion for a 283

Don't forget the Rochester Ramjet mechanical fuel injection (Fuelie) system for Chevrolet’s 283 V8 engine!
Rare and expensive.... $11,500.00 - $13,000.00 on ebay.
Chump change I heard they were bad to leak and give troubles.

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/feature...uel-injection/
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I'm not sure if there was a Q-jet intake with the oil fill tube or not. You might consider an aftermarket aluminum intake with a fill tube and just paint it your engine color. Of course you will need a 4bbl to TBI adapter. Something you might check into is the cost of having a stock TBI intake machined for a fill tube, versus a 4 bbl intake and adapter.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
Warrens69GMC

I would try to look for a 305 TBI for the donor though, the 4.3L some were rated at 140hp net, the 305 was rated at 170hp for camaro/firebirds and 185 in the trucks.

The TBI being restrictive is crap, they gave all these motors tiny cams and restrictive exhausts for "fuel economy". There are a few 500hp tbi's running around, but most people will build a 350-400hp TBI.

For your 283, a Edelbrock Cam& lifter kit 2102 would work with the TBI.

You need a return line
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
Fastrucken

Actually Captainfab just reminded me that both the edelbrock performer and RPM manifold have the oil fill boss casted (probably others as well). All that you would need is a hole saw or dremel to open it up and an adapter plate for the TBI.

Graham
Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #18
scottveazie

Oh yeah, I actually already have the quadrajet intake on my 283 and it has the oil fill tube in it, so all I need is the adaptor plate. The intake on it is a '66 quad intake which still had the oil fill on them. Hopefully that makes more sense. I made sure it had the fill since I didnt' want to lose my Chevrolet scripted valve covers. So has anyone had any experience running a fuel return line?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Well first off stay away from the TBI Its like the first of anything built to many bugs.One other thing How much money are you willing to spend 4000 to 6000.

the intake off the 350 1987 with the one peace seal.It sounds like you want to keep the 283 well the intake with the TBI won't work.it just wont bolt up.

One other thing you run fuel injected you have to run a new Cam.Carb engine have a different cam then fuel injected Now you have to run a Fuel injected fuel pump or a higher volume.

After all said and done you where better off finding a 1995 and up fuel injected motor preferably a ram jet with a fuel rail with the injectors in the intake manifold.And use the factory harness and use the computer and if you went that far get the Computer trans

And now you have a New truck.and it take about 3-5 years if your not working on it everyday and 6000- 9000 after all the mods

If you want a fuel injected truck buy one these old trucks even tho they get piss poor gas mileage but there old you want gas MPG in a old truck.

Go the other way go to the 700R4 with a Gear Vender the 700R4 has 4 gears the gear vender will give you 8 gears and put a 410 0r 411 gear in your truck cus the last final gear will be a 290 or a 301 at 2000 Rpm's ay 90 MPH or less give or take
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #20
Fastrucken

I think stsalvave, brings up some good points about gas mileage but I think I would probably disregard the rest. No disrespect to stsalvage. ( just kind of old school thinking about efi and TBI in general)

I thought about your return issue and don’t think it will really be one. You can add a return line to your existing tank by drilling a hole through your stock sending unit. Then soldering a new return tube in place. I actually did this when I ran fuel injection in my 68 mustang (also megasquirt-ed) and never had any issues with the return itself. Only problem is if the fuel level got low enough, somewhere around 1/8 tank the fuel pump would suck air. This happened because the tank didn't have any baffling to prevent the pickup from becoming uncovered when there wasn’t a lot of gas.

What are your plans for the computer? If you use the stock computer you'll need a new chip. I haven’t looked in to a chip for the older computers in at least a decade so can't help you there. I would almost bet the stock program for a 5.0 truck motor would be close, but you still need to get rid of the extra stuff like egr and the like.

If you ok with soldering then consider megasquirt (MS). I would recommend running the MS2 hardware with the "MS extra" software. Although looks like a big project it’s really not bad. I done 5 setups already and all have turned out well. You could even save some money and run the MS1 hardware which would still run fuel and spark but controlling the idle air motor for idle control requires a little work.

My first MS project was my 89 chevy truck. I did used a MS1 for fuel and timing control and didn’t have any way to adjust the idle with MS. It really wasn’t bad. You figure carburetors have limited idle control when running as well.

I'll get off my MegaSquirt soap box now, but if you have any questions I definitely have time to talk some MS. whew...It must be time for another MS project for me

Some links
A link to the forum...http://www.msextra.com/forums/index.php
Alink to the mega manual, very over welming in the begining....http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
A place to buy hardware... http://www.diyautotune.com/
Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #21
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Talking Re: TBI Conversion for a 283

Newest Fuel Injection Units on the market!
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #22
jocko

Dude, you always post the coolest stuff.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #23
scottveazie

I'd love that setup, but I didn't want to spend that much. It does look super easy though. I keep going back on forth weather it's worth my time to do this conversion, since I only drive the truck about 2 times a month. Having better fuel efficiency would be nice, but mainly just having something that's more dialed in than my quadrajet would be great. It sounds like a fun project, like I said, only part I'm not looking forward to would be the return to the tank, although it's not that hard. Decisions decisions....
Old 01-31-2012, 03:56 AM   #24
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I'm not sure if they make a Cam for the 283 that is fuel injected.You know you can buy a wrecked 1997 chevy truck that has the lS1 motor in it do the swap over and use all the parts.

Now you can just go the edalbrock way and run a 500 or 600 CFM carb with performer intake.Run A HEI distributor.If your only drive it 2 times a month have a anti fuel cut off switch.Run it out of Gas like your lawn mower so that your carb would be full of old gas.Run some Sea foam in the Gas and oil and you should have a lively set up for years to come.One other thing get a battery cut off switch as well no need to drain the battery
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #25
Str8axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
I'm not sure if they make a Cam for the 283 that is fuel injected.You know you can buy a wrecked 1997 chevy truck that has the lS1 motor in it do the swap over and use all the parts.

Now you can just go the edalbrock way and run a 500 or 600 CFM carb with performer intake.Run A HEI distributor.If your only drive it 2 times a month have a anti fuel cut off switch.Run it out of Gas like your lawn mower so that your carb would be full of old gas.Run some Sea foam in the Gas and oil and you should have a lively set up for years to come.One other thing get a battery cut off switch as well no need to drain the battery
I think you mean Vortec, not LS1. They are two completely different animals. The cam and lifters from a 305/350 tbi will fit your 283 or you can look up the cam specs and have a cam ground for your application. It can be done and will run really good.
Posted via Mobile Device

All my life, I've been told I'm a "Bad Influence"
Str8axle is offline   Reply With Quote