The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
bluex

Throttle Cable?

I have a 350 with a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and a 1406 carb. My stock throttle cable didnt work, it would not even pull the carb off idle. Well I rigged up some saftey wire to run around on and get the engine broken in. Its been like that for about a year now. I have no idea where it is now either...

In about 4 weeks I'll be bringing it here to AL. Its a 6 or so hr drive from my parents in SC. That wire has broken a few times on me and I want to get it fixed for good. I have some extra coin and was looking at these:

Lokar black

Lokar poilshed

Both are 24". With my truck being 370 miles away I cant go measure and see what will fit. I'm partial to the second one b/c I spent extra to get the stainless braided TV cable from BTO for my 700.

Long story short, what are you guys with similar setups using? I want to know what works so I can have it and be ready to get it going for the drive here to its new home.

Other options are welcome as well. I just want to see what works and is relilable.

Thanks
Paul

Last edited by bluex; 09-14-2005 at 08:31 PM.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
mbgmike

i used the lokar kit n similiar setup but used the lokar throttle pedal also. . the kit that has the pedal with four bolts and the cable connection is all on the otherside of the firewall. you have to cut a rectangular hole. It helps to have two people to install the pedal. but went real easy you cut the cable to fit. I just followed the instructions enclosed.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I hooked up my Stock throttle cable with a GM kit to allow for the cruise control to hook up also. I made m y own mounting bracket to hold the cable at the back of the carb, but they sell them in the auto parts stores under the Performance Isle. I have had no problems at all. Don't understand why yours won't work. Should be easy
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
bluex

Bump

Anyone else????

Come on guys I need some more ideas on this......
Old 09-16-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
beaterC10

What kept the stock cable from working? I have a Q-jet on a Performer that I used the stock cable on. It was stiff at first, but it turned out to a worn out cable. A new factory cable fixed that problem.

I think I either had to shim the factory bracket or replace it with a different year bracket to get everything together.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:13 PM   #6
bluex

It was 6-8" too long. I went and got another one, but it was the same. I got it from autozone though b/c the dealership was closed. Is that where you got yours? I was thinking maybe it was for an I-6 b/c it was so long. It was a tad bit long for the Q-jet that I had on a performer intake, but it would still work. Where the throttle linkage is on the 1406, the cable was too long and once hooked up putting the pedal on the floor only pulled the slack out and barley pulled it off idle.

I think I'm gonna call lokar on monday and talk with someone about those cables I posted above. I'm mainly worried b/c it has to be right or I will fry the 700 probably before I get here......

Last edited by bluex; 09-17-2005 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
beaterC10

My cable was a dealer part and when installed there is a loop of cable behind the engine. You might try finding a cable stop at a parts store, that would let you shorten up the stock cable. What kind of connection does the Edelbrock carb use?
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:03 PM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

My cable does a loopty loop right by the distributor and then lines up to the carb mounting bracket. As long as the loop is smooth and not a tight turn, the cable will work just fien. I have more than one truck that is set up like that. It was the same on the stock carb also, they set in the same spot.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote