The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
ACII

Opposite for drop spindles ??

Hy all,

i guess i do have a non typical problem :-)

I do have a chevy pickup with a camaro subframe ...

So the subframe is installed a bit to low , therefor i am looking for some spindles which not lowering the car , just the another way around , to lift the car.

Is there any dealer who is selling this kind of spindles ??

thanks for ur help...

Regards
Achim
ACII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Oklahoma_k5

Re: Opposite for drop spindles ??

Fabtech makes a set of lift spindles for a 2wd s10 for the pre runner desert truck guys. Don't know if you can make s10 spindles fit the camero though.
Oklahoma_k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
ACII

thanks for quick response....

May anybody know if they would fit the camaro subframe.. The frame is 1977

Thanks again
Achim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma_k5 View Post
Fabtech makes a set of lift spindles for a 2wd s10 for the pre runner desert truck guys. Don't know if you can make s10 spindles fit the camero though.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

How about taller coil springs?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Amorget

The spindles are different between the S10 and the Camaro.

How did you install your clip, just curious, I want to avoid the same problem.
Amorget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
mr48chev

Fabtech makes a 3-1/2 raised pre runner spindle for an S-10. http://www.bajacustoms.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=63

The two wheel drive S-10 pieces are supposed to interchange with G body pieces but I don't know about the 77 Camaro front end. Best thing would be to check and see if the ball joints are the same. Or contact fabtech and ask.

I think I would go with a spring change if I had enough room with the upper control arm to do that though.

Some clear photos of your whole setup might help some of us come up with another solution or figure out if the suggested solutions will work.

For Amorget: The best way I've found to get a subframe or front clip job right is to block the truck/car up at the ride height that you want to run it at on the shop floor and then with the wheels off set the bottom of the subframe crossmember at it's stock ride height.

We did that with my 51 Merc coupe when my students and I subframed it.
We set it at ride height on some blocks under the frame and leveled it side to side with the bottom rail of the frame level front to rear.
Then we measured one of the student's Nova and found that the bottom of his crossmember sat 6-1/2 inches off the floor. We blocked the Nova subframe I had up at 6-1/2 inches from the floor and slid it into the cut off Merc frame rails until we had the correct wheel base. We then leveled up the subframe to it's correct angle and fitted and tacked it in so it wouldn't move around when we moved the car. We then put the car with it's new subframe in place up on stands and a senior who was a really top rate welder welded the whole thing together for me.

The car really wasn't as low as it looked because the grass was pretty tall in the field.
No grass under it.

It had the stock frame with heated (and broken) springs in the photo of it primered light gray.
Full suspension with the subframe and it handled like a slot car.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
ACII

hy

actually the clip is installed in a very strong and safety way.

we have widened the orginial frame and insert the complete subframe....

Hope u can see it on the pic...

@Mr48

i do have an airride setup ....my problem is that i dont have enough room between the upper control arm and the frame..
The airbag has more lift but the upper control arm is already touching the frame.

if there is no raised spindle available, does it make sense to install a tuboulor control arm ???....may i do have more room with this kind of control arms ?

But i would prefer the spindle solution because i think its better for the wheel alignment and its not so stressful for the ball joints ..

sorry for my poor english

Thanks
Achim
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
Amorget

Wow, the way you do it would really lower it a lot.

mr48 - thanks for the advice on that. My main concern is that my wife, who is the owner of the truck, basically doesn't want it lowered at all. I am going to follow the No Limit way of lower to hopefully minimize the lowering.
Amorget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
mr48chev

Wow, that subframe really is set to drop the truck on the ground. With the bags having the top of the subframe butted up to the bottom of the frame rail would have been just right for your needs. The way it's set up now it was designed to lay frame with little or no thought put into being able to drive on a variety of road surfaces that you need to have your vehicles do where you are. It would be almost impossible to cut the subframe out and set it in lower to raise the truck the way it is now too.

By the way don't drive it with that upper ball joint nut loose and the cotter key missing.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #10
ACII

hy all..

i definitly want to drop the truck on the ground.
With the bags pumped up there is enough clearance to the street, thats not the issue.
I just would like to drive with another angle of the ball joints eg. , i also could drive the truck with less air pressure for getting a smoother ride.

i am wondering that there is no raised spindle on the market , i have read a lot of articles about this issue :-(

What do u think about the tuboular a-arms ??

Thanks
Achim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Wow, that subframe really is set to drop the truck on the ground. With the bags having the top of the subframe butted up to the bottom of the frame rail would have been just right for your needs. The way it's set up now it was designed to lay frame with little or no thought put into being able to drive on a variety of road surfaces that you need to have your vehicles do where you are. It would be almost impossible to cut the subframe out and set it in lower to raise the truck the way it is now too.

By the way don't drive it with that upper ball joint nut loose and the cotter key missing.