The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
rob32472

one piece windows

I was just wandering how many of you guys that bought opp windows in the group buy have installed them? Maybe hoping you could give some feed back as to what problem you incountered.... Getting ready to do this and was wondering what to watch out for.
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
weircc

Re: one piece windows

i did the brothers one let me know if i can help.
weircc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
sson20s

me too , i'm about to buy the brothers kit
Old 06-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
wancosc356
I Like Mine With No Shine!

x3...Im looking at getting a brothers kit too. Unless there is one that is just as good and cheaper out there.
wancosc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
rob32472

I am looking for feed back on the one piece products windows.... These have no triangle in the corner.....
Old 06-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
weircc

the brothers have the triangle a couple of tips that i found are helpful

1 have an extra set of hands will make getting glass on tracks easy

2 leave regulator unbolted until you get glass on rollers because window does not move around much and this way you put glass in tracks then just move window up and down manually until regulator lines up with bolt holes,this is the part you will need extra hands.

3 I took masking tape and covered the hole window to prevent scratches trust me this very important (found out the hard way and had to buy new glass on one side).

4 here is a link http://www.webrodder.com/article.php...75&SID=60&CID= to a how to with pictures i found this very helpful how ever it fails to mention the part where you have to grind the hinge down in order for the door to shut all the way.

5 you can do this with door installed however when grinding the hinge make sure you cover windshield because sparks will burn the glass (once again found out the hard way didnt really even think about this)

hopes this helps guys let me know if there is any questions.
Attached Images

Last edited by weircc; 06-03-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
rob32472

nobody has installed the ones without the triangle
Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
fatboys69

I have the ones from One Piece Products and have them installed and they are and work GREAT !!!! I'll dig out my disk and post some pics later today.
No problems on the installations and work really good. Mine are still manual type. Instructions are very clear and straight forward. Mondo also had a set installed in his truck ( I installed mine myself with the help of jkaylor68gmc ).
There is a photo install of this in Truck Builder Magazine. I'll find the issue and post that info as well.
fatboys69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
OARNGESI

How easy it is it to get replacement glass for these kits do you have to order a complete new kit
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

I got the power windows kit but have not installed them yet.

Waiting to have the door painted first.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #11
weircc

during my process i scratched one cost 97.00 for one side but they are flat so i got an extra in case one gets broke it will work on either side
Old 06-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
rob32472

Did u have any issues with the kit guys?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #13
weircc

no issues just time consuming took around 4-5 per side for me well worth it imo
Old 06-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #14
fatboys69

OK,
Here are the pics ( sorry didnt get them last nite, got tied up detailing a customers vehicle ). So anyway here they are. The issue of truck Builder is in line at the printers and has not been done yet. I'll keep you updated as to the newstand date. Enjoy the pics. Installation was not bad at all.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #15
ebfabman

What do they look like rolled all the way down. How much of the door latch did you have to grind and also how much of the inner door shell did you have to remove?

Last edited by ebfabman; 06-05-2009 at 09:14 AM.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
fatboys69

didn't have to remove any of the door latch, just rebend the spring according to the instructions, and you have to "relieve" the hump in the inner door support at the front of the door, I just took a 4" grinder, ground the hume and then took a small hammer and knocked the hump down about 1/4". I would say that no 2 doors are the same so it will depend on your door as to how much relief you will need. The 2 pics showing the front and rear corners are with the window rolled down. No rattles and smooth operation, just make sure to spray the window channel fuzzies ( ONLY THE AREA INSIDE THE DOOR ) with white lube and wlide as smooth as glass.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #17
Dave Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboys69 View Post
didn't have to remove any of the door latch, just rebend the spring according to the instructions, and you have to "relieve" the hump in the inner door support at the front of the door, I just took a 4" grinder, ground the hume and then took a small hammer and knocked the hump down about 1/4". I would say that no 2 doors are the same so it will depend on your door as to how much relief you will need. The 2 pics showing the front and rear corners are with the window rolled down. No rattles and smooth operation, just make sure to spray the window channel fuzzies ( ONLY THE AREA INSIDE THE DOOR ) with white lube and wlide as smooth as glass.
How are they half way down? Do they rattle at all then. Is the window moving at all? I remember hearing that was an issue with another kit a few years back.
Dave Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
Hair

I have a 67 Firebird and a 71 GMC and that is one thing that I really appreciate on both of them is the vent windows. You can crack those babies open and get the perfect breeze without a hurricane of wind and its perfect for thumping your ashes out too. There's no way I'd take mine out. I think they should sell a "vent window kit" for newer cars.

Something else I like about he older cars too is the two door cars have small back windows that you can roll up and down. You don't see that anymore either.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #19
MickMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
and its perfect for thumping your ashes out too.
Now that's funny

Mick
MickMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #20
ebfabman

We have run into alignment issues which won't keep the window from going up and down but it does cause enough resistance so that power regulator will have a very hard time with them. The overall idea is real cool but it has some kinks and I mean more than just a grind here clearance there. Here are some pics of our install so far. Also I just can't believe glue will hold in the scrapers well enough to operate the windows so we will have secure them with screws or rivets or something.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #21
ebfabman

We also had to remove more of the door shell so that there would be enough adjustment on the main guide. Without this adjustment the windows would not go all the way up. BTW, these are OE door shells.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #22
ebfabman

oops here is the pic
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #23
ebfabman

Here is some of what I think is causing some of the alignment resistance. The main window guide is at more of an angle as it guides the window to the bottom of its run, it does not line up with the window frame. This pulls the regulator away from its plane of operation, sort of binding the window. THIS DOES NOT KEEP THE WINDOW FROM BEING ROLLED UP AND DOWN, but it seems to create some resistance for real smooth operation. It seems like the "kit" uses the scrubbers to hold the glass in the center of the opening, however this will create a little more resistance also.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #24
fatboys69

didn't have the issues that you seem to be having, the 3M adhesive holds the scrapers real well ( you may have to clearance the metal on the scraper to clear the aluminum that the glass is glued to I did ). The scrapers help align the glass in the opening and guide it in the tracks. Wow, can't beleive you are having that many problems, guess I just got lucky for once !! /usually I have a ton of problems on stuff like this. No rattles or wind noise either and lets a ton of air flow into the cab and makes it much more enjoyable to drive .
Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #25
fatboys69

I'll see if i can get the pics that Josh took while we did the install and post them, maybe they will help.