The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
Bowtie1216

Truck sputtering In gear.

Hey guys, Just a question, When my 72' is in parks it idols just fine, but when i put it in drive it start shimming and shaking and sputtering? i changed my plugs not too long ago, and it still has power when i press the gas but it hesitates. Im out of ideals and i figured i'd ask you guys
Thanks a bunch

Bowties for life
Bowtie1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
NW_Ryker

Re: Truck sputtering In gear.

Mine does the same thing. Usually if I don't give it time to warm up or throw it in gear as soon as it starts. Interested to see whats causing this.
NW_Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Non enough info but some things to check. If all of them check ok than it may be in the transmission or converter.

Timing. If you have an HEI start off at around 10 deg adv and play with it for proper response. Check for total advance also.

Vacuum leaks. Check around the carb, transmission modulator, power brake booster.

Choke adjustment.

Idle air screw adjustment in carb. Adjust for highest rpm or highest vacuum.

Check vacuum advance for leakage and make sure it's working properly. It should move with mouth suction and it should move freely.

Last edited by 68gmsee; 05-18-2011 at 09:20 AM.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Bowtie1216

Thanks guys, i'm pretty sure that its my timing, but its getting progressively worse, Started it up this morning let it warm up and it died about 3 times.

Bowties for life
Bowtie1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

You mentioned that it still has power when you press on the gas pedal. Does it mean that the truck runs okay after that or does it die?

Reason I ask is my old 69 did that on me once and it turned out to be the fuel pump not pumping properly. Had a tear in the diaphragm.

Remove the coil wire to distributor and check to make sure the pump supplies at least a pint of fuel into a platic jug in 30 seconds or less. If you can get a pressure gauge, that would be better way to check for around 4 to 4.5 psi of pressure give or take a slight amount.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

check for vacuum leaks

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Change your plug wires. For me, anytime I have had a engine run good in Park/Neutral (translation, no load on engine), and then run crappy and misfire in gear, is has been the plug wires. As you put a load on the engine, more voltage is needed to fire the plugs, and if wires are going bad, they will misfire or discharge onto nearby metal instead of the plugs. Try running your engine at night, with no lights, and have someone put it in gear and stand on the brakes and rev it up while you look at the engine in the dark. If you see a lightning show, them is bad wires.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

We are assuming you have an HEI. If you're still running points/condensor, then beyond the obvious cap/rotor/wires.....you have some more things to check.

If you do have an HEI, then be sure your cap/rotor/wires are in good shape. Have you had a lot of rain? If so, moisture could be an issue....wires or within the cap. Look for arcing, carbon tracking within the cap, etc.

If you suspect a vacuum leak, remove the air cleaner ass'y. Place your hand(s) over the carburetor air horn. If the engine chokes down, you probably don't have a vacuum leak. However, if your attempt to smother the carburetor doesn't keep it from running and it (in fact) smooths out....you need to find the vacuum leak. I've used starting fluid sprayed along the junction of the intake/heads to see if there is a vac leak. A leak will make the engine race. Be sure that it isn't getting into the carburetor....keep the air cleaner on while using the ether. Some people have drizzled 30-wt oil at that same gasket area, but that creates a mess.

Vacuum advance on the distributor is another vague possibility. Make sure yours works properly. With that idea, there's the choke pull-off that may be leaking. It works off of vacuum.

If you don't know how old your vacuum lines and hoses are....might be a good time to change them all. Vacuum modulator on the transmission is another possibility. Vacuum lines to the heat/ac should also be checked.

But, if it is missing...it's ignition, vacuum or fuel.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #9
Autoblueprint

Lightbulb Re: Truck sputtering In gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie1216 View Post
Hey guys, Just a question, When my 72' is in parks it idols just fine, but when i put it in drive it start shimming and shaking and sputtering? i changed my plugs not too long ago, and it still has power when i press the gas but it hesitates. Im out of ideals and i figured i'd ask you guys
Thanks a bunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie1216 View Post
Thanks guys, i'm pretty sure that its my timing, but its getting progressively worse, Started it up this morning let it warm up and it died about 3 times.
Check your readings:
Attached Images