The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
earl84

Front end noise caused by 2" coil spring retention?

My 66 C20 is finally on the road, just in time for a move to Colorado, where it will become my daily driver. Well, actually it'[s been off and on the road several times for various projects, but it is finally (almost) complete. I got all the things done that REALLY need to be done to make it driveable, there's a million other little things to do.
My question is this. When I drive it, there is a sort of clunking noise when I go over bumps at a decent speed, like anything over 15 mph. It does not happen all the time. I have replaced the entire front end with a 79 crossmember, and replaced every single wear part with new Moog components. Yesterday, I took the wheels off, jacked it up, felt around, nothing obviously loose. I retorqued everything, all good. Nothing is loose, nothing. No endplay in the wheel bearings, calipers are solid. Checked the driveshaft for mounting. It is newly shortened and balanced with new Ujoints, new center carrier bearing.
The only thing I can think of is the lower end of the 2" lowered coil spring moving around slightly, but I don't see any evidence of that, such as metal flakes, paint scarred up, nothing. I am at a loss, and it feels completely, 100% solid, no wandering, no weird braking action, no steady noise, nothing. I did every conceivable type of driving to help ID a problem part, and the front end is very very solid.
Is there a retainer for the lower coil spring? Anyone have any other ideas? Unfortunately, I will not actually be able to do anything with this for a while, since this afternoon and tomorrow are devoted to packing a Uhaul and loading the truck onto a car hauler. May have to take it to a mechanic in Denver and let them check it out.

BTW, sorry for the dissertation, just wanted to answer the questions that were sure to come up. As always, thanks for replies, and I LOVE this board.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Front end noise caused by 2" coil spring retention?

My 66 has drop springs in it and they creek at times. The more I have driven it the less it seems to do it.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
earl84

Re: Front end noise caused by 2" coil spring retention?

Just to follow up on this, I figured it out. Had nothing to do with my front suspension at all, even though that is where it sounded like. I moved my truck to Denver with me, and was going to take it to a shop here and let them troubleshoot it, but it made the noises again, and then it started making the rotational noise like a bearing going out or something, as in it only happened when I was moving. So I hopped out to look for about the 15th time, and I found it. My muffler had come loose and was moving fore and aft and banging around, as well as touching the driveshaft at the rear Ujoint. Problem solved. Sound was very deceiving to me, just glad I found it.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote