The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
fastlane

Is it the sending unit or the gauge??

Water temp sending unit doesn't work, or the gauge doesn't work. the gauge doesn't move at all, stuck in the same position since I put it in (swapped to gauges from lights) don't know if the sender works either. My research tells me I should ground out the wire from sending unit and the gauge will peg out, or see how many ohms the sender has with my absent ohmmeter!! Am I right? or is there an easier way? do you have to take the sender out to test it or can you do it in the truck?
Old 08-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
steveo3318

Re: Is it the sending unit or the gauge??

Find a buddy to watch the gauge, Turn the key on. Take the wire off the sending unit and touch it to a good known non-painted ground. Gauge should peg out if its functional. If it works how much tape sealant in on the sending unit?
steveo3318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
franken

The sender and I think the wiring are different between lights and gauges. The engine harness and/or the dash harness may be different.

You might want to do some research and see if the harnesses are different.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
fastlane

It was the sending unit, grounding the gauge pegged out the needle! All wiring is new from aaw and wired for gauges not lights. Note to self, draining the fluid out of the radiator is not going to stop the gushing of antifreeze all over the garage floor when you remove the sending unit!! I'm glad oil changes are not that way!! Also, steveo3318, no tape sealant.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #5
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
It was the sending unit, grounding the gauge pegged out the needle! All wiring is new from aaw and wired for gauges not lights. Note to self, draining the fluid out of the radiator is not going to stop the gushing of antifreeze all over the garage floor when you remove the sending unit!! I'm glad oil changes are not that way!! Also, steveo3318, no tape sealant.
So you are OK with this now?

Another tip I can offer is if the gauge is wired correct and has a good ground, you will be able to see it move just a fraction of an inch as soon as you turn the ignition to the run position when the engine is stone cold. This is a good test to see if the gauge has power. If the gauge does not move even a little when you key up, there is no power to the gauge.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
fastlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
So you are OK with this now?

Another tip I can offer is if the gauge is wired correct and has a good ground, you will be able to see it move just a fraction of an inch as soon as you turn the ignition to the run position when the engine is stone cold. This is a good test to see if the gauge has power. If the gauge does not move even a little when you key up, there is no power to the gauge.
yup.. the gauge didn't even flinch when hooked up to the sender, all my grounds are good! I made sure of that when wiring. now the problem is finding a sending unit with a peg rather than a flat thingy?!!

like this:
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #7
steveo3318

To much sealant can't have the same effect asto much tape!!!
steveo3318 is offline   Reply With Quote