The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
dropanddrag71

Wood Bed, 70 longbed. (not your typical question?)

HI!.
Heres the deal. I have a 70 Chevy long bed with a mint,steel bed. I am looking to add wood and i see all the options for wood bed trucks. YES, I checked out Showdeck, and it's beautiful, BUT at around 1500.00 plus shipping, to expensive.
So, my question is, can i see and get ideas of what you did to possibly install a wood bed OVER a steel bed without screwing, gluing or damaging the bed in any way. I was considering just a wood bed with home made cross slats but i think that with that up higher then a stock wood bed, it would be to far away from the wheel wheels. Lets see and here what you did!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Yooper truck

Re: Wood Bed, 70 longbed. (not your typical question?)

Putting a wood bed over your "mint" steel bed will not leave your steel bed "mint" for long. First, the wood is going to rub in places, even if you have it raised some you will need supports that will rub. Remember the old plastic bed liners. They rubbed the paint off the steel floors leaving it bare metal in places. Second, depending on how high you lift your wood from your steel bed it will not be able to circulate air and moisture will trap causing your mint bed to rust. I don't live in FL, but based on my visits and what I am told there is a lot of humidity.... thus a source for rust to start under wood.

My 2 cents is to enjoy your metal bed, but don't put a wood one on top of it.
Yooper truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
dropanddrag71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper truck View Post
Putting a wood bed over your "mint" steel bed will not leave your steel bed "mint" for long. First, the wood is going to rub in places, even if you have it raised some you will need supports that will rub. Remember the old plastic bed liners. They rubbed the paint off the steel floors leaving it bare metal in places. Second, depending on how high you lift your wood from your steel bed it will not be able to circulate air and moisture will trap causing your mint bed to rust. I don't live in FL, but based on my visits and what I am told there is a lot of humidity.... thus a source for rust to start under wood.

My 2 cents is to enjoy your metal bed, but don't put a wood one on top of it.
I went to the Home depot and found 1 inch sqaure aluminum tubing... I was going to put rubber under it to prevent paint wear and screw the wood to that.
I just dont know...
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
SS Tim

Could always learn to woodgrain. If the bed was straight enough it would give an unusual carved wood look. This company sold products to do it but the page is being updated. The pictures are great though.

http://www.classicautoservice.com/wood%20graining.htm
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Smile Re: Wood Bed, 70 longbed. (not your typical question?)

Me i find some one with a wood bed and just have it installed.One other thing to look for Find a Locale High school that has a wood shop Trust be they will get the wood cheaper then any suppler ever will Plus the teacher will love you cus he has all the machines to do it right.Plus you get all your staining done for free and if there is a auto shop that teacher will love you cus his kids get to learn how to put the wood in and take it out.You might have to buy 50.00 to 100.00 in Food and soda for the kids working on your bed But its way cheaper
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote