The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2004, 12:29 AM   #1
whitesswj
Embrace the Redneck

questions!!!! just a few

1) Is it possiable to use a pw'r booster from 71 and later trucks w/ my 68 and still have the drums?
I see this as a cheaper way to get more safety w/o switching out a front end.
Would i have to get the right pvalve and the right brackets and get higher pressure wheel cylinders? or just bolt the booster up?

2) What kind of harmonic balancer do i need to get to hookup to my crank on my 80 to 84 SBC 350? I'm finding a lot of non grooved ones but none w/ the grooves.

3) how do you prime the oil system for the initial start up?

4) what kind of oil do you use for the initaial start up and the procedures there after?

5) what about synthetic oils?

6) flywheel? will the fly wheel off of the 250 bolt on and work on the 350?

7) starter? same thing as flywheel?

8) add questions as needed

you guys know more than I hit me! sswj

Son, you just can't get there from here...
whitesswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 12:37 AM   #2
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

When my engine was new, it just had some regular old 10w30 Valvoline in it. I drove it for 500 miles, then took it back to the machine shop that built it. They changed the oil with a new filter, checked out the motor to make sure everything was OK and life was good.

I was pretty easy on my motor for the first 500 miles. The machine shop guys told me to be so i was. Of course after it hit 500 miles and had fresh oil and a filter i just had to open it up to see what it had
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 12:42 AM   #3
grayw0lf

One or 2 answers:

When assembling an engine, use Assenbly Lube. Its a very light grease that dissolves into the oil. Apply liberally.

The best time to prime your oil pump is before you install it. Put the pickup into a conatiner of oil & spin the oil pump by hand. If already installed, you should be able to spin the distributor by hand, thus spinning the oil pump. If valve covers are already in place, you can always pull off the oil fliter. If you have oil pressure, you should make a mess on the floor. If no mess, then you have a problem.

Synthetics vs. Conventional Oils. If you change your oil every 3,000 miles, like you should, it makes little to no difference whatsoever.

The starter is the small, high-torque electical motor that spins the engine to start it. The flywheel is a large gear mounted on the back of the engine. The starter gear turns the flywheel, & this is how the engine starts.

& one personal word of advice, when you buy a new battery for your truck, buy new battery cables as well. Neither a new battery nor a new starter will do much good if you have corroded batter cables. & they will sometime hide signs of corrosion quite well.
05' Dodge Neon
88' Winner Escape Sport 1750 - 4.3v6
94' Seadoo SP
84' Honda TRX200, bare nekkid. Just a frame & tires.

Always looking for another project or any good deal!

grayw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 12:46 AM   #4
whitesswj
Embrace the Redneck

Quote:
Originally posted by grayw0lf

The starter is the small, high-torque electical motor that spins the engine to start it. The flywheel is a large gear mounted on the back of the engine. The starter gear turns the flywheel, & this is how the engine starts.
you know what i meant gray, i want to know if the flywheel and starter i have on my 250 I6 will bolt up to the the crank of my 350 v8.

Old 04-11-2004, 01:05 AM   #5
Jeepster376

Prime the oil with an old distributer shaft in a drill, you need to grind the cam drive teeth off the shaft first so it will turn.

250 flywheel if it fits I wouldn't try using it as it may have a special balance that could make the 350 vibrate.

Starter if it fits, use it.

Synthetic is better, but is it worth it??? I'm gonna switch to it for mileage reasons. Never use synthetic on a new engine as it can prevent proper break-in. Use cheap oil for break in cause your gonna change it soon anyways.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:40 AM   #6
jimfulco

1. Power booster doesn't make it safer, it just makes it easier to apply the sorry drum brakes.

2. V8's don't use a grooved balacer. The pulleys are separate. hirpmauctions at Ebay sells new 8" ZZ4 balancers for ~$50. You'll need a timing tab that matches the 8" balancer.

6 & 7. The 250 flywheel is balanced just like the pre-'86 350. As long as you use the matching flywheel, bellhousing, & starter from the 250 (everything except the engine, basically), you'll be fine. Don't forget to put a pilot bushing in the back of the crankshaft.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 02:57 AM   #7
whitesswj
Embrace the Redneck

what is a pilot bushing? and my plan is to take the i6 out and leave the orgional tranny and slide the 350 in.

anyone w/ a pic of the balancer and the pulley fill me in and lets see one.