The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
Tkin496

Demon Carb or EFI

Currently running an 850 Demon on the BB496, Im considering going to the Hot Rod power tour this coming year and wanted to get some opinions on switching to EFI. I went a little over kill on the motor with 635 hp and 653lb of torq. She used to fire right up and after a munite or two stay running until di**weed down the street decided he would adjust it for me. oh how convinient seeing as to now im unable to find that sweetspot again. I currently have all 4 backed out 1-1/2 turns and it seems to be the best spot but its still is not like it used to be. Ive got the timing set at a max of 38, wich i had to call the machine shop to find out what they set it at. Anyways what im trying to find out is if it would be better for me to go to EFI or stick with the Demon carb. I love the old school look but also looking for something I dont have to turn the A/C off when I stop at a red light due to it dragging the RPM's down to far. Carberated or go to EFI? Thanks...

Tkin496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: Demon Carb or EFI

I will admit it is nice to get in and turn the key and go. EFI is nice and is more fuel effecient than the 850 for sure. On the other hand, it is part of the coolness of an classic car or truck to have a carberated engine. I have a 1972 with a quadrajet and a 1964 with a cater carb and they bought give me fits on occasion and need an adjustment from time to time but there is no way I would put an EFI on either one of them. Call my stuck in the 70's but that is the way I like it.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
MARKDTN

EFI. Starts, runs, idles, better mileage, wider power band.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkin496 View Post
Currently running an 850 Demon on the BB496, Im considering going to the Hot Rod power tour this coming year and wanted to get some opinions on switching to EFI. I went a little over kill on the motor with 635 hp and 653lb of torq. She used to fire right up and after a munite or two stay running until di**weed down the street decided he would adjust it for me. oh how convinient seeing as to now im unable to find that sweetspot again. I currently have all 4 backed out 1-1/2 turns and it seems to be the best spot but its still is not like it used to be. Ive got the timing set at a max of 38, wich i had to call the machine shop to find out what they set it at. Anyways what im trying to find out is if it would be better for me to go to EFI or stick with the Demon carb. I love the old school look but also looking for something I dont have to turn the A/C off when I stop at a red light due to it dragging the RPM's down to far. Carberated or go to EFI? Thanks...

Getting a closed loop EFI system up on your 496 is going to be EXPENSIVE...$5 grand or so.
An open loop system like a FAST EFI or one of the eddybrock units works OK but they aren't cheap either...$1 grand or so.

Then there's that Demon. I had one on my ZZ572 and the di**weed 2 rows down in the pits tuened it up and no matter what I did after he touched that carb it never ran well again. Sound familiar? could have been the same dweeb except, Demon couldn't get it right on their flowbench either. That's when I switched over to a Holley 850 and never looked back. I have to re-jet it twice a year...density altitude changes almost 6000 feet between summer and winter but it runs.

That leaves you with a choice...opening your wallet for a big withdrawl or stay with a carb.

Sure do like the look of that Kinsler big block cross ram efi though.....
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Tkin496

Man I love the looks of that Kinsler !!! Sorry, Havent been on here in awhile and still new to the forum thing. I really apreciate all the help. I think ill stick with the carb for now but if I ever get enough money saved up ill definatly be getting that Kinsler. Im in love with the looks !!!
Tkin496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
mattfranklin

The Megasquirt systems are less expensive, but involve more DIY - even down to soldering the ciruit boards if you like.
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Longhorn 70

You have a wider range of tuning on EFI but as Fitz said, it ain't cheap. I know it's not the same but I have summer/winter track and street tunes for the Vette. I can dial it in for purpose with mixture and timing curves.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

You could always try a different carb than the Demon first. The Demon carbs have a bad rep for a reason.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
Tkin496

What about that EZ-EFI System that around 3-4k? The one thats plug-n-play and can handle the 600+ hp motor? anybody know anything about that one? Still diggin the looks of that kinsler though to.