The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2003, 04:48 PM   #1
PHOENIX

Engine Bay Paint (whats best?)

OK guys, I plan to paint my engine bay soon. Its pretty nasty looking. Im not gonna pull the engine or anything major to do this. Ill just take my time and cover everything well.

My question is. Whats the best paint to use? I plan to rattle-can it as that will be the easiest and im pretty damn good at it

Anyway my choices are either:
Rustolem (black)
or
Dupli-Color High Temp (1200degree) also black

What do you guys think. I will most likely use the Dupli-Color because it is high heat. Although the Rustolem works great. As some of you may have seen behind my grille. The picture shows the paint at well over one year old, with no cleaning except when I swapped the grille out. My concerns are chipping, peeling, and discoloring. I want to avoid those as much as possible. If the paint could last me till I need a new engine or I paint the whole truck I would be more then happy.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:06 PM   #2
Low87
been here longer than Liz

Well, I guess with nail polish you don't have to mask anything off.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 05:08 PM   #3
PHOENIX

hahhahaha I should have seen that one coming.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:14 PM   #4
smokinn

Are you kidding? If you want it done right take the engine out and everything else. Sandblast the engine and paint it a semi gloss balck. I'll have to find the right paint # but it comes in a can. I would like to redo my engine and bay put wont half a** it. I'll wait till next year when i get the money and all the parts i need to get it done right. Till then i'll just dream and make a list.
If your worried about peeling and such well it will by not doing it right. Just my 2 cents

Jason
smokinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 07:46 PM   #5
75stepside
*Proud Member*

i HIGHLY recommend duplicolor. i used it on my engine block and on other various things on my project. i've tried other brands, but they just dont give you the quality that this paint does. it dries really quick between coats, it covers well, and the cans have a quality spray "button"

i did find that the paint did NOT stick well on my headers... but what paint does?
Attached Images

75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:48 PM   #6
Big Paul
Iamnotanofficerofthelaw

Hey Eddie, my friend did a cool trick when he swapped engines in his car. He painted the bay with flat black, then took satin black and kinda sprayed it up in the air and let if fall on the dry flat black.

Made a cool texture, looks really good. Kinda like he had the engine bay pro painted. Just an idea.....you could probably cover the engine and do the same thing on the inner fenders or something.....

'87 S-10 Ext Cab- 2.8L/700r4
KIA Caught fire 12/7/03
Big Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:56 PM   #7
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Satin black hands down!! I had that on my engine bay and looks great. Just make sure to get a good quality paint brand unlike I did and now paying for it

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 03:14 PM   #8
PHOENIX

Jason:
There is no doubt that removing the engine and other things, is the proper way to do it. But its not gonna happen right now. The nail polish thing, was a joke from another thread

I have used Dupli-Color Piant myself and love it. I used it on my EGR valve, and its holding up very very well.

OK guys I think I will go with the dupli-color high heat. I will post pictures when all is done. Probly a month. Plus I have pictures of other things I have added. Ill be sure to post. I cant wait till all that nasty-ness is gone