The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2004, 07:03 AM   #1
the baron

Post transmission shaft

Hi Guys ,

it's been a while since my last post.

I told you all that I was parting my 1979 C-10 to use the parts on my 1987 Burb.

So far I went till now is :

the gas engine & the tranny ( Olds 350 & TH400 ) from the C-10 are now installed in the Burb , but I discovered that on my tranny , the yoke is bolted , so no gliding is possible , what annoys me as I will not be able to put in the Burb transmission shaft.

The transmission shaft of the C-10 is in two parts , but I cannot use it on the Burb either , as there is no possibility to fix the middle bearing on the frame ( that bearing was bolted on the bed , and the bottom of the body on a burb in quite different than on a truck ... )

What I decided to do is to re-use the front part of the C-10 shaft , to lengthen it , an to put the gliding part of it , either on the RR axle , or on the tranny , I didn't decide yet.

I have no particular question about it , but some guys told me I shouldn't lengthen an existing shaft , but rebuilt it completely with a nex tube , and others told me they did it without any problem , even with a heavy engine upgrade...

What do you think , guys ?

The Baron
the baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

I'm not sure i fully understand your problem,but I'll try as no one else wants to jump in. the trannys that havea bolted yoke just have a threaded hole down through the center of the output shaft. they still have splines so you can use a slip type yoke. I , as a welder, have the ability to fabricate ,but would never make ,or especially lengthen, a driveshaft unless it was for NON- road driver, like a farm truck. Mainly because of the balancing. just my $.02 and I'm down to $.86 out of my original $1.00.
this guy has a good way to figure what you need and is very reasonable on prices and I'm sure he could send to Europe.
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/watches.html

DAVE
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 01:00 PM   #3
the baron

Hi Dave ,

thanks for your answer , you confirm what I already thought..

I took a look at the site you pointed out , but there are same factories here in Europe.

I assume the prices will be the same here than in the US , about 250 à 300 $ for a complete shaft

The Baron
the baron is offline   Reply With Quote