The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 09:54 AM   #1
popeyestruck

No spark

Motor turns over but no spark at the plugs. HEI dist with built in coil. Before I put gas into it I ran the starter to get oil up into the motor. The cotter pin that holds the foot start linkage hit the positive lug of the starter and it was smoking. Would this have caused a coil to blow? Starter circuit is all good. Ignition circuit is good. I'm going to check for power on the pink wire tomorrow and if I need pull the coils and check it
popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:45 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: No spark

first check all fuses and fusible links if you have them
next check for power at the large pink power wire at the HEI connection
if good, pull the cap off the HEI coil and check connections there. make sure everything is plugged in all the way and ensure there is a ground wire for the coil there, some miss that if a new cap were installed before. next check the coil physically for overheating marks.
if all good, put that cover back on and pull the dist cap. check the terminals and the rotor for wear or breakage. remove the rotor and check the wires that come from the pick up coil as they commonly break. just tug them a little and see if the wire stretches, if it does that means the wire inside the insulation is broken
might as well check the advance mechanism since youre there. the mechanical advance set up gets worn or can become seized if unused for awhile
next check to ensure the distributor turns when the engine is turned/cranked
since it is apart and I assume if you got this far you haven't found a problem yet, maybe remove the ignition module and have it checked at your local parts store, a lot of places can do that, or simply replace the module with a new one or known good part
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #3
dsraven

forgot, check the underside of the cap to ensure there is a carbon terminal for the coil high tension power to come through. check for carbon traces inside the cap that would indicate a crack (this wouldn't cause a no spark but may cause misfire). check the rotor to ensure the contact strip in the middle isn't worn off and also the "pointer" end is in good shape
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:01 PM   #4
popeyestruck

Its a brand new distributor and it fired on the engine stand. Its either my wiring AAW or I fried something when I let the smoke out of the wires. I've retraced all the starting circuits and haven't found anything yet . I'll go down your checklist. Thanks. I have the courtesy lights and dome lights on without the key on and doors closed too but I'll figure that out after I get it started.
Old Today, 01:27 PM   #5
mr48chev

Make sure that the terminal on the wire has a good connection with the connector in the cap. Pink wire says that you should have the proper HEI connector on the wire but if you just have a female slide terminal that is probably where your problem is with my experiences on my 71.

I have the NAPA HEI service bulletin saved here https://photobucket.com/u/mr48chev/a...8-34b5e1631d08

That is from the 80's when the Napa Echlin rep used to come to the school I taught at and put on clinics for my advanced students. That is still the best trouble shooting guide for the non computer HEI distributors I have found.
It's well worth printing out and keeping in a binder for troubleshooting.

You may have blown a module rather than a coil though. Provided that the power wire is getting power to the distributor.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:34 PM   #6
popeyestruck

I'll check that too . thanks