The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

What do you know!!! Venting!

Ok, I just wanted to post this because I know I can reach people who have heard this before! In my garage right now I have a 74 stepside chevy and a 41 plymouth sedan. My father had a friend whom was big into cars and needed a part that I had in my garage. So I said no problem have him stop down. When the guy got here I handed him the part he was looking for and we started to talk shop. He told me about the 70 stepside he built in the early 90s and the Torino GT he owned and totaled. After 20 minutes of his bragging he said "your father told me you have a few vehicles." He asked if he could see them, sure I said. I took him back to the garage and showed him my Mazda truck, to which he replied...I don't know why someone whould do all that work to a Jap truck and put in a gm engine. It angered me, but to each his own. Then I showed him the 41 sedan, and all he did was comment about how this would have been done differently if he had it. Finally the 74. Now, background....I love these trucks, their very dear to me, especially this one as I have so much time and money in it. The first thing he did was look at my 18/20 combo and tell me how bad that looks on the older trucks and how I should have gone with 15 or 16s only. Then he knowcked the cowl hood. Then he asked me what color I was going to paint it, I told him Blue Mood-Hot Hues color, and the last straw left his mouth...."If I were you I would really consider going a different way." ......Well in my head as I clocked him...(just thought it, didn't do it).....I just couldn't take it, however owning a business based around auots I was very nice and replied, to each his own. He said "well, I guess" Needless to say I don't think I will ever bring anyone else into my garage again until I can see they have an open mind about the auto field and realize tat everything someone does when building a car is really an extension of themselves and their creative thoughts. Not who they are trying to impress. So Mr. Torino (as we will call him here) I hope I never meet your kind again! Thank you for letting me blow off some steam.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Low84

Re: What do you know!!! Venting!

I feel your pain bro. I have a Mr. Torino around my way I have to deal with all to often.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
boatpuller

frick that dude............your truck is a sweet looking project,if he wants to get his wallet out and help,then,he might have a valid opinion.your footin the bill do what you like.there's always a whole bunch of guy's on here that think what your doin is "*****in".
Old 03-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
Duro5341

exactly..........to each there own

Personally I think the older trucks look the best on 15's, and 16's.....However

I won't knock someone on it, and I have seen lots of trucks done right on 20's, and it look BADASS. Your looks like one of the good ones, I love the rim design in the photo.

I know exactly how you feel
I own a 1990 Cavalier Z24, with a built 3800 S/C in it and it's street legal
It took along time, and goes like a bat out of hell.....12.6sec in the 1/4 mile. Everyone knocks me on it...and how I wasted my time. But when I meet them at the track, and blow their doors off, or pace a slightly modded vette....they shut-up quite fast

Just smile, and flip him off as he drives down the street

Duro

Last edited by Duro5341; 03-04-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Duro5341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

What kind of Jap color is that Blue Mood thingy? Okay, just kidding.

You're right, he shouldn't have been such a narrow-minded SOB, but don't let that stop you from showing your stuff. I'd bet that's a good part of the reason you do it. It's not his garage, his truck, his worry. Don't think twice about him. Ah well, don't think three times.

I like trucks a bit closer to stock, but I APPRECIATE the work that goes into a lot of the mods and that people do them to suit their own taste. Especially when it goes further than the JC Whitney bolt-on. (Not that i have anything against JC Whitney.)

Some folks can't see past their own nose. Don't sweat it.

-Todd

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
edman87
junk collector

Please don't let a$$holes change your opinions of all people.
I personally like 4wd trucks. See my sig line and add a samurai and a dodge quad cab to that and you will see that I am fairly diversified. I don't care much for lowered rigs or the tuner style, BUT I will look over and admire ANYTHING that drives, even if it is not my style or I would never own such a vehicle.
If you are good enough friends with someone, you are allowed to rag on them for what they drive or how it is modded, but if you don't know them, telling someone that their ride or project is done all wrong is a fast way to make enemies!
I would figure that guy had several nice rides, but was too lame to really care about any of them. If he modded anything, it would be solely to impress someone else, not somthing he truly liked!
'98 jeep tj
'52 willys cj3a
edman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
edman87
junk collector

BTW, why would anyone put that much effort and $$ into a busted, POS, 30 year old chevy?? -JUST A JOKE!!!!!!
Saying somthing like that to a group of guys like people on this board would be a good way to get to see the underside of you honda civic for the first time!
'98 jeep tj
'52 willys cj3a
edman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
7T7
Regular guy

Everything he criticized you should've came back with a very enthusiastic " Damn! That's a great idea, I'll have to change that and do it your way."

The crap that flows out of the piehole of a narrow minded person never ceases to amaze me.
Just remember what they say about "Opinions".

Don't let it get to you. In time you'll learn to have fun with type of person.
Edelbrock MPFI, 700r4, Baer Brakes
9" F@rd rear, Vintage air, Bags etc etc..
7T7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
fourty1

I HOPE the BIG MOUTH Thanked you & then paid you for the part.

I bet it must have been ' like a eternity for him to shut up , while you were obviously not breathing normal '...

fyi,...
I remember telling one of my past know-it alls-, " Hey wait, no opinions , were just looking "... of course it didn't work on him...

jim

1967 Chevy 3/4 ton standard bed, 350 cu./400 auto,
w/ 83 - 3:43 rear end...sips gas....
fourty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
Big Block
Big Block

That old fart is reliving the glory days of his youth. Times change and so does our hobby. It's too bad he couldn't appreciate your hard work and your talents. I'm sure there are many more people who would appreciate your work so don't let this windbag get you down. By the way what is he driving now? It's probably bone stock generic econobox.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #11
grinch4om
dang its hot

forget him, build it for yourself. I'm an old fart and I've been around those types. An old racer told me something over 25 years ago, " why build to impress people you don't even like? Build for you."
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
marvxyz1

Man , That sounsds like someone I know , and guess what, he is from WVA. marvxyz1
marvxyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #13
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

I had a lot of people rag on me about my little Chevy LUV I had when I was in the Navy.

It started life in my posession as a $75 disposable beater to take my freshly divorced frustrations out on. It almost immediately became an obsession that lasted 12 years.

I would get the usual comments like, "What are you spending money on that thing for?" and, "Your little rice burner couldn't keep me in view" and, "What a piece of ****, why don't you buy something that looks better?".

Well, I was spending money on it because when I was done I had quite the little honey of a truck that looked as good as it ran. And I EMBARRASSED some poor guy with a brand spanking new Mustang GT 5.slow so badly he took it back to the dealership. And I would always remind the "homeys" driving around in their Lexus' that I owned my truck, not the bank. And after I paid my $66.00 a month for my insurance, the rest of my paycheck was mine. Not the $300.00 in insurance and Lord knows what they were making in car payments.

So yes, I took some abuse for a couple years while I did a little here, a little there to my little truck. In the mean time I forced some poor sucker from my ship to twist both his driveshafts into pretzels trying to get me stuck in LaJolla (yes, my little truck was a 4X4) and I just kept merrily beeping my horn because his lifted Dodge Ramcharger with 38" Gumbo Monster Mudders with a mildly built 360 was going too slowly through the mud.

Hang in there AspecialZ. You'll get your truck done and be able to drive past the grumpy old fart in his bone stock generic whatever and watch his jaw drop as the gleam off your paint finish blinds him.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #14
84slopwaggin

Screw him do it how you want. The truck represents you. That guy is a has been and on top of all that he's the loud mouth knowitall type. I personally like anything thats custom and tricked out with aftermarket and custom pieces. That includes lifted or slammmed trucks, cars, etc. Thats why I attend car shows to see others sinking their hard earned money into these money pits.
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #15
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

assuming 90% of the members have trucks here and few look alike and some are radically different than others.. I prefer a stock look you and others prefer a custom look.. so be it i mean to each their own... although i think if you told us you were putting a Ford motor in your Chevy a few here would tell you they woulda done it differently :P
As long as you are happy with your mods and designs... dont sweat it

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #16
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

--although i think if you told us you were putting a Ford motor in your Chevy a few here would tell you they woulda done it differently :P

Awww, jeez. Now you hadda go an drop the F-bomb!

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The guys an @sshat. Ignore the retard and move along...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #18
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

That will be $100.00 for the last thirty minutes. You will have to get a cheaper therapist.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:04 AM   #19
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

i dont even know what the rest of the truck looks like but i really like that shot.

And dude i love big rims on a low truck or car. But im not into people making a caprise lift it just so the guy can put 26s under it but it very different so i have to give mr too big of a rim man his props for thinking out the box.
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:24 AM   #20
84 400
Sb 400 club

"opinons are like azz holes every one has one." I know what you mean but that is one of the reasons i enjoy showing my truck. I like hearing what people think. However in the end of the day it is me that has the keys and the title so i will decide what i do to it. I see stuff every day that i don't like or flat out hate. However i see more then the part i hate but the fact that who ever did it liked it and put a hell of alot of time into doing it that way. Even if i don't like somthing i can see that the owner or builder put alot of time into it and that means alot to me. Sure i am not a fan of big wheels but you have to be open minded when viewiing other peoples tastes. I am know my dad is not into loud exhaust but i like it alot.
Good luck with your projects and i think your truck looks like a really neat project!

Sorry gues but i am spel@iNg challanged
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out

Last edited by 84 400; 03-05-2007 at 02:35 AM.
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:45 AM   #21
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

You should have taken the part back before he left.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:48 AM   #22
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

I'd say you father needs to find a new circle of friends. Congrats for having the intestinal fortitude to not go off on your fathers friend no matter how bad he needed it. You did yourself and your daddy proud.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #23
Larry K

I rember a sign in the office of a fuel company in FL. " Even jerks have a value, as a bad example"
Larry K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #24
larry may

Aspecial Z : Thank You for that vent. That dude is a CS. They are everywhere. I do admire your Restraint from not Throttling that pea brain .

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #25
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

A CS? What's a CS?