The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Unhappy BBC Radiator hoses & Electric Water pumps What to use

What are you guys useing For the LOWER HOSE Part Numbers Purchase place Ext?? The origanal Hoses will not work.
I have a 72 chevy C-10 454BB with an Electric Water Pump the best hose I found was for a 1975 BB Chevy Truck The curves are a perfect match the part that goes on the water pump is a perfect fit... BUT THE PART OF THE HOSE THAT GOES ON THE RADIATOR IS A BIT TOO SMALL IT SEEMS TO BE THE SAME SIZE AS THE Radiator OUTLET ITS A VERY VERY TIGHT FIT IT TOOK ME A LONG TIME TO GET IT TO FIT I LUBERICATED THE END OF THE HOSE AND WITH A LOT OF STRUGGLEING I FINALY GOT IT TO A SPOT TO PUT A CLAMP ON IT, BUT THIS FOR SOME REASON DOESN'T LOOK GOOD TO ME OR SAFE NOW THAT I THINK OF IT.... Please guys who has this simular setup and what are you guys using.... 454BB Th400 No/AC 3Core Radiator with Transmission Cooler, And Thanks again for your help.... Pablo
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by petey-pablo; 01-12-2009 at 08:48 AM.
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: BBC Radiator hoses & Electric Water pumps What to use

This isnt going to be an easy button answer. Any time you go custom and change things, you are in for an adventure... no stock fits and no "part numbers".
If you are not sattisfied with the lower radiator hose fit, you will probably need to make an adapter out of steel or stainless tubing and use it to link the two different diameter hoses together. You could also yank the radiator and have the local rad shop place a slightly smaller outlet on it. You could go with a four core with a smaller outlet (probably the best choice since you are putting in a big block).
The other question is... why the electric water pump? If its for the cool factor, maybe thats not such a good idea for the street anyhow. A nice Edelbrock would cool Waay better and you wouldnt have the fit problems.
Sorry if that wasnt what you wanted to hear, but sometimes My "custom" ideas dont work out so easy either so... dont feel like you are the Lone Ranger.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
jaros44sr

I have an Electric Water Pump that I am running on a SBC with an Alum. Rad. In the process of making the final connections. I used a SS flexible metal tube I got from Jeg's, I think the brand name is Spectra and it comes in different lengths (2" O.D.) All you have to do is buy strait hose of about 5" and 2 clamps per connection. Kinda surprised your having a hard time getting the hose on, what's the OD measure on the inlet tube?

Are you running a heater?

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:17 AM   #4
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
I have an Electric Water Pump that I am running on a SBC with an Alum. Rad. In the process of making the final connections. I used a SS flexible metal tube I got from Jeg's, I think the brand name is Spectra and it comes in different lengths (2" O.D.) All you have to do is buy strait hose of about 5" and 2 clamps per connection. Kinda surprised your having a hard time getting the hose on, what's the OD measure on the inlet tube?

Are you running a heater?
Thanks for the info I might have to go this route..I am Not running a heater for now I just want to get it running maybe later on when I put it all back together, I do not know the OD measurement on the inlet tube I didn't even think of measureing it. I just have a Plain Stock 3core Copper Radiator and stock upper hose & a 75 BBC truck Lower hose? I might have to leave it as it is for now and just keep an extra hose around just incase untill I can find a more permanent fix.
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey-pablo View Post
Thanks for the info I might have to go this route..I am Not running a heater for now I just want to get it running maybe later on when I put it all back together, I do not know the OD measurement on the inlet tube I didn't even think of measureing it. I just have a Plain Stock 3core Copper Radiator and stock upper hose & a 75 BBC truck Lower hose? I might have to leave it as it is for now and just keep an extra hose around just incase untill I can find a more permanent fix.
I hear ya, same boat...I plan to use the flexible stuff to have an alum. tube bent at the muffler shop. Use it like a template, sorry mine will be different than yours or I'd have 2 made

Good idea on the spare hose

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 01-13-2009 at 10:42 AM.
jaros44sr is online now   Reply With Quote