The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
SactoJim

MSD problems ??

Been putting a few miles on my truck and working any bugs out. Only got about 200 on it.

Got some type of ignition problem that stranded me today and forced me to go pick up the trailer.....PISS!

....anyway it occasionally cuts out like it loses all spark, but recovers most of the time. Last night and today it actually stalled a number of times....cruising down the highway..(pulled over and it started right back up), coming to a stop....had to push it in a nearby parking lot and after awhile it started back up and finally just cruising down a surface street....got it pulled over and couldn't get it started again. There is no pattern whatsoever to when this happens.....I HATE electrical gremlins!

I have an MSD 6A with an adjustable timing master. My concern with the 6A is that it was a replacement for one that went bad a number of years ago and has been sitting on a shelf for 7 years or so. Don't know if that's an issue or not but since I've had problems with an MSD box in the past, It's makes me wonder.

I know these problems can be challenging to trace down, but I wonder if anyone else has had similar issues.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
corn

Re: MSD problems ??

Does it fail whenever it gets warmed up or is it an intermittant problem?
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
GmcSS

I have had an issue just like that! It would start most of the time but every once in awhile it woulnt start did not matter hot cold or otherwise....My problem was I wasnt getting a GREAT ground.. Hasnt done it since
GmcSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
corn

I would agree about a connection problem if its intermitant, I was going to guess coil if its a hot start issue. Most ignitions Ive seen either work or they dont work.
corn is offline   Reply With Quote