The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2003, 10:36 AM   #1
VNMOUS
Step Side's Rule

Need Help Quick

The oil pressure started fluxuating on the old 350.
when it is cold the idle pressure is at 60 lbs. and when it warms up it fluxuates from 40 lbs. to 20 lbs. When the pressure drops to around 20 lbs. there is a distinct peking noise in the engine. I first thought the screen had fallen in the oil pan but now I'm not sure. Any suggestions will be apreciated. The engine has about 2000 miles.
76 stingray
95 cobra
66 Mustang Coupe 289
VNMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:43 AM   #2
dubie

I have heard of faulty oil filters before that screw with your oil pressure. That might be a place to start is an oil change. Any leaking under the hood, like a rear main seal?

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:44 AM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

I have heard that these engines could run with oil pressure as low as 5#. Does the noise at low pressure sound like the lifters clattering? I am definitely not an expert but it sounds like you need a new oil pump.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 12:19 PM   #4
Professor

Could be the oil pump. Could be that the engine is just loosening up after the rebuild and its the looser tolerances in the mains and rod bearings.
Or it could be the relief valve (and spring) in your oil filter adapter. If I understand correctly, this is in the fitting that the oil filter screws onto and bypasses the filter if the pressure gets too high. If it is bad (or weak) can cause low pressure and bypassing the filter.
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 12:24 PM   #5
Professor

Could be the oil pump. Could be that the engine is just loosening up after the rebuild and its the looser tolerances in the mains and rod bearings.
Or it could be the relief valve (and spring) in your oil filter adapter. If I understand correctly, this is in the fitting that the oil filter screws onto and bypasses the filter if the pressure gets too high. If it is bad (or weak) can cause low pressure, plus bypassing the filter.
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:07 PM   #6
71GMC_3/4T
Weapons Of Construction

Mine was doing some weird stuff so I bought a new oil pump. Imagine my surprise when I pulled the pan and found the sump laying in the bottom of the pan, no longer attached to the pump!
Previous Idiot induced problem.
Unfortunately, I think it did some damage since I don't have oil pressure for squat any more. I'll run her till she pukes...
Definitely try the new oil filter approach first. Don't use a Fram! Wix or Purolator are good brands, as well as the Napa "house brand".
Old 06-03-2003, 01:14 PM   #7
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

Fluxuating pressure probably indicates that your pump is cavitating. My suspusion would be a loose pump or the screen has fallen off as you had thought of.

I would not drive it and plan on pulling the pan to check things out.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 05:09 PM   #8
tom hand
CCRider

fluxuating between 20 at idle and 40 at cruzing speed is pretty normal oil pressure... are you sure you don't have a header leak? I have seen people adjust their valves a dozen times before they figured out they had a header leak
Old 06-03-2003, 07:40 PM   #9
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

The oil pressure should not "dance", but should go steadily up as the rpms increase, & will also drop as the rpms drop. Figure about 10psi per 1000 rpms as a rule of thumb. I like to see 20 psi @ idle on a "tight stocker"(in gear)..... but steady up/down with the rpms. If its dancing, you have problems with a sticky bypass in the pump, a bad filter,pickup sucking air, or dropped off the pump(yikes). My experience says that if the gauge is bouncing.....you have problems! You might try another guage(aftermarket mechanical), to see if the guage or sender is the prob. Good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:26 AM   #10
VNMOUS
Step Side's Rule

Thanks Guys
I pulled the oil pan last night and there laying in the bottom of the pan laid the screen. Any suggestions on how to keep this from happening again?
76 stingray
95 cobra
66 Mustang Coupe 289
VNMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 06:14 PM   #11
MAXMEOW

Check to see if there are two of the rubber "O" ring gaskets. One might be stuck up the oil pump shaft while the other looks normal on the pick up tube. You can tack weld the screen in place for added reliability.
MAXMEOW is offline   Reply With Quote