The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2004, 11:42 PM   #1
67cst
i love summertime

where do you find your trucks?

hey guys right now im looking for a 67-72 chevy or gmc 4x4, shortbox would be nice but even a solid longbox would be cool or a blazer/jimmy/burb, ive driven down almost every street in the town scoping driveways and back yards, spotted a couple nice rigs, one i really like that i saw was a 72 4x4 jimmy, it was orche (sp), i knocked on the door to ask the owner if he wanted to part with it but no one was home, gone by 4 times now since last saturday, i think the guy must be out of town, but i took a quick peek and it had a factory tilt, and tow hooks, thought that was kinda cool, ill probably go back as many times as it takes to touch base with the guy and see whats up, but anyways enough rambling, lets here you secrets on locating these trucks...

thanks, Derek

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:09 AM   #2
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

I found the latest in the field.Solid ol truck,just gonna take some work
Attached Images

Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
shortymac83
hmm...

My truck was sitting at a lake house owned by some lady from Indianapolis for at least 9 years. Didn't move at all in that time. Then she decided to sell it, so she sold it to the local mechanic, who had it out in his lot for 6 months. It sat there through the winter looking sad, so I bought it for $300. There's also a truck for sale near me - some form of GMC (looks like the one above) with a poorly molded on hood scoop, no interior, V8/AT with the throttle cable unhooked, LWB, aftermarket cragars, molded in sunroof, new Ebrock carb, dual exhaust with glasspacks, metal bed with a couple holes, no tailgate and some pretty serious rust underneath and on the doors for $800. A little steep, IMO, but whatever...

my truck:
Attached Images

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:29 AM   #4
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

My truck came from the original owner, my uncle. He offered it to me so I took it. Even drove it home from Manassas...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:33 AM   #5
71 Blazer CST man
Account Suspended

i thought i'd have to opt for a 2nd gen blazer (acchhh! sorry guys) after a half a year+ of searching. Then some underclassmans dad in highschool came to pick him up in his blazer, with a FOR SALE in the window! Boy o BOY did my eyes lite up! A week later my California 71 cst blazer, VERY little rust, was in my driveway for $4,500!

Apparently the PO i got it from had it for 6 months or so, and planned on his son taking it. He got it from a friend in oakland that had just got it from the original owner in Montana, so the story goes. [ I guess they dont use much road salt in montana, or the orig. owner didnt use his 4x4 blazer in the snow?!?!?!? ] Either way, theres hardly any rust. It was sitting on his lot in Oakland,Ca, for $8K and he wanted it gone, so he gave it to the guy I got it from, a friend of his, for a deal he couldnt afford to pass up. I guess his son(the PO's) had his eye on something more like oh lets say, his dad's 65 impala..........All worked out for me in the end just find. Dont loose hope! keep the faith....it will pay off.

I'll add i was quite flattered when the owner of the local chevy/Gmc dealer who lives up the road asked me if i'd think about selling it....He's already got a CHERRY 2wd shortbed/frameoff. He didnt even get a chance to make so much as an offer....i told him not any time in the near future is for damn sure!
Attached Images

Last edited by 71 Blazer CST man; 09-15-2004 at 12:39 AM.
71 Blazer CST man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:33 AM   #6
1969 GMC

Derek, I have seen all the pics of the 4x4's you post that you find, and I am jealous. I have seen very few 67-72's at all, and only a handful of 4x4's. I think the rust around here just kills these old trucks, especially the 4x4's used to plow etc. I have only seen one burb (a 67-68) as well.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:21 AM   #7
67cst
i love summertime

adam, if you ever come up for a holiday id have to show you around town, i can honestly say every time i leave the house i see one, maybe every third time its one ive never seen before, its pretty cool actually, about a year ago i posted about 45 pics of 67-72s i took with (mandrinsixseven) that we took over about a 2 hour span of crusing our part of town...i guess im just a lucky guy

Old 09-15-2004, 07:07 AM   #8
OregonLonghorn

Got a '71 Longhorn w/ a big block in Oregon if you are interested.
OregonLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:13 AM   #9
67cst
i love summertime

thanks oregon but im looking for a 4x4 daily driver, that big block would kill my wallet, also im a bit hesitant for buying a truck in the US, i dont know what all has to be done to register it here, i know one thing is that the truck has toi pass inspection

Old 09-15-2004, 09:02 AM   #10
dubie

Shawna found mine for sale on the lcoal bulletin board at our Bank. It was written in messy marker hand writing and said 72 Chevy truck safetied, blue, $1500.00 . I ended up getting it for $1200

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:09 AM   #11
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Found both of mine in the classifieds http://www.buysell.com
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:45 AM   #12
sactoC10
71 DELUX

Cool

frontyards, backyards, fields, sheds, etc...

Northern California is still a great place to find old vehicles in good shape. The hardest thing is getting folks to let them go. Found a great motorcycle like this, parts truck the same way.

My current truck belonged to my step-daughters dad. He has an 80's Chevy slammer P/U in his garage, so this one really meant nothing to him. It was orginally owned by his dad. I told him I'd take it "off his hands" and he was more than happy to let me do so for a fair price.

I could probably find (locally) two dozen or more of these for you within an hour's time, since I've scoped them all out and their hiding places.
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:03 PM   #13
Hook'em

I did a road trip on Monday, 200 miles or so. The majority of the trip was through rural Texas and very small towns. I spotted several 67-72 Chevys & GMCs along the way in various conditions. I even spotted a large red '69 chevy with a water tank on the back, may have been a fire engine of some sort. If I had stopped to inquire about all of the trucks I saw, I am sure I could have found at least one to buy.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:15 PM   #14
67cst
i love summertime

right on, thanks for the ideas guys, now i just need to be a smooth talker and be able to convince people to sell me their stuff

Old 09-15-2004, 07:13 PM   #15
vtblazer

Find 'Em

Well here in VT, their few and far between.
The first one I bought locally ended up in the metal dumpster because there was nothing left to save.
I thought 'never again' will I buy something local and since I've kept my promise.
I've flown to AZ and driven home a blazer.
Searched like crazy for a swb 4x4 and finally found it in Hemmings, that one was close, only 5hrs away.
Now I'm off for Texas for my latest find.
If their solid, I'll travel most anywhere, that's just half the fun to me.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #16
landon4421
Life is Good !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cst
now i just need to be a smooth talker and be able to convince people to sell me their stuff
Smooth talking works wonders.

I am one who is not really inclined to push, I check out the truck and then cruz by once in a while. If I see someone outside, I stop and ask questions. I also printed up some bussiness cards, and just tell the owner if he should change his mind to sell, I would like first dibs on the truck. I have gotten most of my trucks that way. I am waiting on a guy with a 71 burb to call as we speek Just don't rush the issue, most of the time if you just go and ask questions, leave a card, and 9 times out of 10 you will get a call with in a week or two.

Good luck on you search
'14 Honda Accord Sport "commuter"
landon4421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 04:29 PM   #17
tnblazerk5
User #12137

i spoted mine in a back yard near my girlfriends house ! and ask my girlfiend if she knew who lived there and she said no but she liked the looks of the truck to my amasment so i keep driving bythere till i cought sumbody outside( the guy was mowing the yard )and ask if the 67 was for sale he said he didnt know then he told me it wasnt his he said it was his sons friends truck and that he was in prison and he was holding the truck for money that the dude in prison owed him i ask if he could get a hold of the dude in prison to see if it was for sale or not and gave the guy my name and phone no# and i thought that i would never hear from him again will on my birthday i got a really big surprize from my girlfriend the 67 she gave the guy mowing the yard $600 bucks for it (thats what the guy in prison owed the guy mowing the yard ) with the title so i went to pick up the truck after putting a battery on it it fired right up built 283 3 speed ran like a bat outa h@!! so i marryed my girlfriend the next year been with the truck and her ever since then that was 24 years ago now the 70 jimmy i got she found it too ( theres the wife thing again ) it was in the back yard of a friend of hers dads backyard !! and the clutch was out of it and had been setting for about 5 or 6 years got it for $350 got it home an a trailer and unloaded it went to cleaning it out and there was a new clutch and presser plate and all the stuff to fix it that was a year ago and i still havent fixed it anyway thats how i got my two 67-72 trucks
tnblazerk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:03 PM   #18
inline6Bill
A classic GM kinda guy

I've found all of my classic GM trucks through Truck Trader, the free ad papers, word of mouth, or just out for a drive and see a "For Sale" sign. I rarely see any on lots anymore. I have also looked through Hemming's.

My best deal came from an estate sale when I lived in Oregon. The ad read, "farm vehicles for sale", so I just had to go. That is where I found my '69 CST 20. The previous owner hardly ever drove it, only to church on Sunday and to pick up small items that needed to be picked up. That truck was absolutely beautiful, and mine for $1500. ( I also picked up a '57 Corvette one time at an estate sale for much less than it was worth !)

Best advice: Don't give up hope, and try out estate sales if they mention vehicles. It worked for me.

"If you can find a better vehicle, buy it" Lee Iacocca, Chrysler commercials of the '80s.
"I did. They are called Classic GM pickups !!!"
inline6Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:20 PM   #19
luckydog
< Fav Place on Earth!

I found the first one for sale along the road. Paid 800. There's lots a bondo and it needs alot of work. But its got a clear title and a 383(spun main) with a 4sp. I got the second one for free because the guy had to get it out of his yard It's an a/c truck and it's very solid. It's got a 350 (set up) with and auto trans. But it's a 3/4 ton and no title. If it had a title im sure it wouldnt have been free.
Attached Images

luckydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:58 AM   #20
Hunter
Lovin' Arizona Since 1961

I live in Arizona and bought mine at the local wholesale lot for 1400 bucks. It was butt ugly, had some issues, lots of little dents, but 100% original. I have done / paid to have done a LOT of work to it over the years. V8, posi rear, auto trans, power disc conversion, power steering conversion, sheesh, I shoulda just bought a Cheyenne, but the thing I like best is the all ORIGINAL body. OK, I didi put a grille in it.... but you can see that the truck has never been totalled and repainted. Once you paint a truck, there just ain't no telling where its been, how its been wrecked, how much bondo is in it, etc... YES, check in Arizona and New Mexico for trucks. Its worth the trip. The sun cooks the livin' hell outa the upholstery and dash pad, but we just don't do rust 'roun' he'ah! H.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:36 AM   #21
72c10step
WHYBYNU when old will do?

Here's my story. I was looking for a truck, and my mom mentions that her hairdresser's husband has a 72 Chevy that he'd probably get rid of. Went and looked at it, turns out it was a 71 with a 69 grille (the green Chevy in the pics below). He said "haul it away and it's yours" so I got it for free. Very rusty floor and the back half of the frame was rusted through (would definitely eed a new frame). About a year later, my friend Bob and I drove into a car show/cruise night (last one of the season) in his 67 Chevy (the red/maroon truck in the pics). As we go to park, a guy walks up to the passenger side (me) and starts asking about the truck. I told him a bit about it and mention my truck, and he says "I got one in much better shape for ya." He shows me his truck (the white one in the pics below) and says he's got a stepside of the same year back at his brother's shop. A couple of days later I check it out, its a 72 (the blue and white one below). Selling for $4000 but will give it to me for $3000. Took out a loan because I was in college and didn't have the cash up front (also to help build my credit), and it was mine a week later. I actually just made the last payment on it last Friday, so now it's all mine!!!!!!
Attached Images

-1995 Polaris XCR600 Custom
-2003 Honda 300ex
72c10step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:39 AM   #22
sactoC10
71 DELUX

persistence and patience

I have found that you can often (but not always) end up getting one of these old and neglected vehicles if you don't give up trying. There's an old (I'm guessing 1953?) Chevy pick-up in my neighborhood that the owner swears up and down he is going to work on. I used to jog by it a couple times per week. 5+ years later, it remains...untouched. I'd love to get my hands on it, but it will probably never happen.

Notes on the vehicle, in the mailbox, on the front door, etc... Ya just never know when someone will say... go ahead, take it! Last year there was one I missed, the owner let it get parted out for free before the city came and towed it away!!!
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 04:56 AM   #23
wHATANERD

My Trucks

I think it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time, This weekend I was driving through a small town about 45 miles from my house and spotted a 1970 Fleetside longbed with a for sale sign in the windshield. I knocked on the door and asked how much they were asking, The lady told me $500. I didn't waist anytime, I'll be picking it up next weekend

Old Chevy's Never Die, They Just Rust Around The Edges
wHATANERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:13 PM   #24
shortymac83
hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATANERD
I think it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time, This weekend I was driving through a small town about 45 miles from my house and spotted a 1970 Fleetside longbed with a for sale sign in the windshield. I knocked on the door and asked how much they were asking, The lady told me $500. I didn't waist anytime, I'll be picking it up next weekend

Ain't that the truth. Same goes for the seller. The guy really saw me coming when he sold me this damn truck of mine. lol. So, after I realized that it even had seatbelts, I was like "well, I wonder how strong they are?" So, with the door open and me standing, I start pulling on the DS one. Pretty soon, I'm flat on my back with this seat belt in my hand as well as a piece of the floor! argh!

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 02:32 PM   #25
Blue4x4

Guess I've been lucky. I probally see 10-15 different ones a day here. Lots of 2wd long boxes. But there are many 4x4's also. I have counted in my neighborhood 500 houses 20-25. Guess if I really wanted more then I could go after them. Both of my trucks are swb 4x4's. the 69 I paid $700.00 for and the 71 was $1600.00.
Blue4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote