The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2003, 09:08 PM   #1
aaron t

Question steering column

i am thinking of putting a chrome ididit(don't know if that is how it's spelled) with tilt into my 72 chev. i am wondering if anyone has used this product and how it looks(pictures would be great)
just trying to get ideas
aaron t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 09:44 PM   #2
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

I installed one from Billet Specialties. Pretty close to the same product. Install went pretty easy. You will need an adapter for your turn signal harness. They one they supply is flat. GM has the adapter. You will need only one "U" joint and a section of Doudle "D" shaft. Do yourself a favor and get the "U" joint that has the vibration dampner built in. At first I didn't and changed it out soon after. The install is pretty straight forward. You can use all of the original GM column mounting brackets. Good Luck To you...Greg
Old 11-18-2003, 11:05 PM   #3
Glen

I have an ididit in my truck, I eliminated the rag joint too. they make a splined joint to eliminate the rag joint and the other end is available in double D. A double D shaft is inexpensive and can be cut to length unlike a splined shaft.

Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 11:48 PM   #4
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

I just put a tilt steering column in my 71 and i looked at the ididit stuff. $$$$$to the tune of like 400!! I'm on a budget so i did the junkyard thing and found an 81 chevy van. It bolted right in. the only thing i had to do was change with wire plug it was a flat one and you need the u-shaped one. But i didn't buy one no sirr they both had 8 wires of the same color so i just chopped out the flat connector and spliced in the u-shaped adapter. The only problem i guess i've had with it and i'm not terribly worried about is that you're reverse lights switch sits higher up on the column than the old one did so i had to take it out. Other than that it went right in!!
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote